Archived ETL/TL heirarchy: To whom do you answer to?

• Thread starter ColonelAngus
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ColonelAngus

Just curious what the heirarchy is at Target when it comes to whom you directly report to. I think it's a given that the ETL 's, Sr.TL and TL's are the ones you take direction from. But what about ETL's and TL's from a different shift? Does Target have a blanket policy whereby any and all TM's are to listen ETL's and TL's you don't work with? For example, overnight ETL's/TL's versus dayside ETL's/TL's.

Well, basically any TL can direct any TM, any ETL can direct any TL, and so forth. Just tends to be focused on their own departments. As a GSTL though, I find myself directing other departments TMs all the time.

You report to your direct workcenter TL/ETL. If you're given direction from your TL/ETL you follow that because they usually have the best interest of your workcenter in mind. The challenge is when you get other leaders giving you conflicting takes, you should let them know what your TL or ETL has you doing and if they still want you to do it, do it but let your TL or ETL know because at that point it's up to them to go to the TL or ETL that gave you conflicting tasks and clarify with them.

Your TL can override anything another TL orders you to do.
Your ETL can override anything another ETL makes you do, unless that certain ETL is LoD.

STL>Everyone

When we actually had our BRTL dayside, he was the one that you answered to. Even if an ETL wants you to do something else, you would do whatever our BRTL told you to do because he's top dog and the backroom is his domain. Obvious exceptions apply if it's something simple that takes less than a minute, you just do what the ETL asked you real quickly and get on with whatever you were doing. For the most part, we are left to do our own thing, but when we are given direction by our TL you better damn well get it done. If an ETL wants you to do something else, they have to go through the BRTL before it'll get done. Of course, when he's not there it's free game.

Team Leaders may give directives to any team member they choose, and an ETL, regardless of whether they are your ETL, can tell any team member and team leader what to do. The thing is, in strong, green, results-driving stores, the leadership team is all on the same page and is working towards the common, primary goal of driving sales and having a strong team culture. This means that NO ONE is allowed to have the mindset that their work center is the only priority. Being in a low-volume store, this is a must for us. As an ETL, I may have responsibility for back room, flow, instocks, pricing, and presentation, but I can and will direct other team members to do certain tasks to develop them even though they aren't in my work centers. Case and point, I could respectfully challenge my soft lines team leader's directive to her team member to zone girls swim if I feel that shoes are in a greater need of attention. I would partner with the softlines leader and try to find a way to still give attention to girls swim, but I can trump her decision if I want to do so. The key is, a leader needs to collaborate instead of running rough shod over anyone else. Otherwise, you have what Firefox mentioned: a BRTL who has more clout than an ETL and a team that does not respect the ETL. I've seen this when I was a BR/Flow TL myself and it is not a pretty sight when a team member completely disrespects other leaders, including ETLs, because they are not that team member's direct supervisor.

Team Leaders may give directives to any team member they choose, and an ETL, regardless of whether they are your ETL, can tell any team member and team leader what to do. The thing is, in strong, green, results-driving stores, the leadership team is all on the same page and is working towards the common, primary goal of driving sales and having a strong team culture. This means that NO ONE is allowed to have the mindset that their work center is the only priority. Being in a low-volume store, this is a must for us. As an ETL, I may have responsibility for back room, flow, instocks, pricing, and presentation, but I can and will direct other team members to do certain tasks to develop them even though they aren't in my work centers. Case and point, I could respectfully challenge my soft lines team leader's directive to her team member to zone girls swim if I feel that shoes are in a greater need of attention. I would partner with the softlines leader and try to find a way to still give attention to girls swim, but I can trump her decision if I want to do so. The key is, a leader needs to collaborate instead of running rough shod over anyone else. Otherwise, you have what Firefox mentioned: a BRTL who has more clout than an ETL and a team that does not respect the ETL. I've seen this when I was a BR/Flow TL myself and it is not a pretty sight when a team member completely disrespects other leaders, including ETLs, because they are not that team member's direct supervisor.
My ETL would never trump my decision nor would any other ETL in the building mainly due to ignorance of my department. It's hard for some TMs to follow leaders that have zero idea of how their workload is set up or executed. I do agree with you in terms of working together but in a lot of stores it's not like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back