Should ETLs eat in the breakroom?

• Yes.

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • No.

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our execs always took their breaks in the breakroom... Except our ETL-HR and STL, they would occasionally get through paperwork-type stuff while eating. Otherwise they'd be in the break room too.

You can definitely eat at Food ave, starbucks, your car, or a bench outside! I had no problem with the ETL's and STL, but whenever the flow team took breaks I'd go and eat in the GSTL office or in food ave.
There are other options than the breakroom. However, at my store starbucks/food ave isn't one of them .We are not allowed to break there even if its lunch and we are off the clock.

Our execs always took their breaks in the breakroom... Except our ETL-HR and STL, they would occasionally get through paperwork-type stuff while eating. Otherwise they'd be in the break room too.

You can definitely eat at Food ave, starbucks, your car, or a bench outside! I had no problem with the ETL's and STL, but whenever the flow team took breaks I'd go and eat in the GSTL office or in food ave.
There are other options than the breakroom. However, at my store starbucks/food ave isn't one of them .We are not allowed to break there even if its lunch and we are off the clock.

Did they give you a reason why? At my last store, and everywhere else I've heard about, you can go anywhere on the floor during your breaks, they just ask that you take your nametag off.

We were told its perception....that if guests are waiting in line at the registers and look over at Starbucks and see all these red shirts...they will think that we don't care about our guests. We can go anywhere else in the store ie shop etc...and we can buy things from starbucks and food ave we just cant sit over there and eat or drink

We were told its perception....that if guests are waiting in line at the registers and look over at Starbucks and see all these red shirts...they will think that we don't care about our guests. We can go anywhere else in the store ie shop etc...and we can buy things from starbucks and food ave we just cant sit over there and eat or drink
They recently said that at my store too but the HR-ETL that instituted it just left so it isn't enforced now.

Our stl is the one who started it at my store....I am hoping once he hits his 18 months he will be moving on.

there are certain groups that take breaks together and i feel like an outsider. i just don't go into the break room unless its the least annoying place on the floor. i don't want to talk to anyone and just be alone for 15 minutes.

Our ETLs only go into the break room for the microwave (they have a mini fridge in one of their offices for their own lunch storage). They'll take an hour or so for "breakfast" in the TL Office and then the same for lunch later.

That's very true i guess. I was always infuriated when I saw groups of TM/TL/ETL standing around at the front lanes when guests were waiting in line... I ALWAYS made a point to either LOUDLY ask for backups over the walkie while staring at them, or ask them to go elsewhere because it looks bad for guests.. I guess if it's visually clear that you're off the clock, or if you're by yourself in SB/FA though..

This is ironic in that my leadership has their morning 'breakfast club' in the cafe area & they're as rowdy as high schoolers in the process.
So much for perception.....

Our ETLs will eat in the break room. They are decent human beings, so it works out that it looks like they care about us. I have no idea where our STL eats....he doesn't seem to be in the building too much, honestly. One of our SrTLs...maybe a second one....will never eat in the break room with us, and that creates a perception that they think they are better than the rest of us.

ETLs should be allowed to eat in the break room; and they should be the only ones allowed to keep their walkies on in there.

Our etls eat in the break room. At least the ones who sit down for a full break. Same with srtl and stl. I'd rather a couple not as they are rude, but I just sit as far away as I can get.

Conference Room? You mean the TLO (Team Lead Office)?

I guess. It's wear they keep extra computers to check your ehr and the place where you have your orientation as well as where they have their meetings so yes. I've taken my 15 there before, because it's usually empty.

Sometimes I just feel like I feeling like an outsider at break.

Conference Room? You mean the TLO (Team Lead Office)?

Those two are completely different places in my store.

Conference room has a big conference table in it for meetings, etc. The TLO is where the TL desks are.

Odd, same thing in my store, the offices are at the entrance to the TLO. Doorway leads into the TLO, then two offices on each side, and the conference table straight ahead past the offices.

there are certain groups that take breaks together and i feel like an outsider. i just don't go into the break room unless its the least annoying place on the floor. i don't want to talk to anyone and just be alone for 15 minutes.
On the rare occasion I go into the breakroom to eat, I prefer to be alone. It's my wind-down time and I don't usually care for small talk. I would never object to someone sitting at the same table with me though. I have seen TM's, TL's, and etl's come in and they look uncomfortable about where they should sit. It is that middle school mentality that seems to never leave anyone. I will always say to them, sit with me, because that's how I am. They won't get much talk out of me, but at least they don't feel like the odd kid out. Also when I see someone sitting alone I will ask if they want company or if they are unwinding..

I think its a great way to get the pulse of the team by eating in the break room with them. What I do have a problem with is when ALL of the ETLS are in the break room at the same time. Seriously if all of the sales floor TLs took their break at the same time, heads would role.

Not sure even that would bother me. I think the TM's and TL's should be self-sufficient enough to not need the ETL's constantly there watching over them. We regularly have 1-2 hour TL meetings where the closest thing to a TL on the floor is the GSA covering the front. I've never not seen it go off without a hitch.

One day the break room was full & pretty rowdy.....until our least-liked ETL came in & sat down, trying to be one of the gang. It quieted down quick as TMs began texting each other. lol

If you want to move up, take it as an opportunity and sit with them. They can teach you a lot.

this might be true...but more times than not the etls could learn more from the tms if they actually would listen

True, maybe a way to start up a conversation with them is to say "Hey I have an idea *insert idea here* and start bsing w/ them about it"
Having lots of ideas that were creative was the way I weaseled my way into their crowd. Now I can't get away from them because every single one of them come to me with my opinion on things. Most of my ideas have worked pretty decently whether it's moving people around on the floor and trying to keep them in certain areas all the way to setting aisles a little differently to help the flow of traffic.

After my game project is done, I have been trying to figure out a way to make the Rx area more appealing to guests, because so far that is our hardest area for guests. They hate it, I'm not sure why exactly but that seems to be the one place we get a lot of negative feedback. speaking of which, I was meaning to make a post about this... which is what i'll do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back