Everyone at my previous store is on the chopping block.

A union rep would not help. You can fire someone in a union for failure to perform or insubordination just as easy. Only difference is that because wages are in the contract you no longer get merit raises and you have to promote the person who applies that has been there the longest. (Which, by the way, usually means you are promoting the least qualified.)
Not necessarily true. It depends on how the Master Agreement (read: contract) between BUE (employees) and management is written. Also remember that it is up to the membership to approve any agreement. Don't like seniority written into it? Don't ratify it. Not all union rules depend on seniority.

Always write shit down. Dates, times, and as specific as you can. A journal isn't proof of shit....however if things ever escalate, it's easier to explain yourself and increase credibility when you have your own papertrail of events.

That is something that doesn't come out of managers mouth even in jest..

And we have a troll in the thread just ignore his ass..
I have been called quite a few things in my life. This is a new one! It happened, I stand by it. I quit because of it. It was said in a TL meeting. Later that same week in an impromptu TL huddle on the sales floor, we were also offered a $25 gift card for the first TL to get a hot line call for pushing their team too hard. That situation was addressed by the DTL when she found out.I still stop by here from time to time to see whats going on. Although my 401K is safely invested elsewhere, my pension is still at Target so I still have an interest in what is going on.

Why are people "older" on the chopping block? At my store people that are older run circles around these young kids. Most of these kids talk and play too much.
I'm older and valued. I get my fair share of red cards, though...and can lift and do drive up. Flexibility really matters! I hope I don't overstay. I would hate to be a drag on team. I figure my body will let me know! Lol

Why are people "older" on the chopping block? At my store people that are older run circles around these young kids. Most of these kids talk and play too much.

My store, we are a threat to the very young and stupid management cause we can talk back and explain why their choices are wrong they don't like that. We don't blindly follow their idiotic choices. Thus we have to go.

Jesus Christ why did this thread get so popular lmao.

There's no conspiracy or unfair purging on, People who were apart of the old op model that can't work the new op model are being replaced, that makes total sense to me. The way they do this is coach you / cca you for whatever they want, as long as its documented and a pattern is created even if it's not 100% accurate, they term you. Super easy.

This isn't immoral in my eyes because I've been working without being given a specific task every single day for awhile now. And even then, My Leader knows if he asks me to do something It's more than likely done by the time I leave, or significant progress has been made for the amount of time I was scheduled. I didn't do anything special and I'm not some retail god, I just paid attention when I was told what to do and asked questions about what I didn't understand, it's that simple.

Maybe I have great leadership and I'm lucky, but as far as I'm concerned, I show up and do my job and feel no threat to my hours or my job security, and I'm not the perfect employee by any means.

In regards to the "Target is getting rid of people a certain age and weight!!" people, ya'll sound nearly as bad as that NRVStrike person or whatever they called themselves. Complete nonsense lmao.

Last edited:
It is a good thing that Target is not unionized, as a union rep would up their but everyday.
Target needs to be unionized, the company needs to be kept in check and more protection for employees has been needed for a while now.

They didn't NEED such representation before. Target was never crappy as a Walmart with phony benefits, etc. At least Wally world doesn't snarf people's hours out to newbies and tell their long term people there's no budget for hours.

I've applied to Walmart and am considering going there and leaving Target. While pay is a dollar less ($11 instead of $12), I would always have at least 24-32 hours per week instead of the consistent 12 that Target has been giving me. Walmart is also offering full time if we are looking for more than 24 hours.

@TallTM

Just remember every company has quirks. Grass ALWAYS looks greener but, yes, they WILL provide a consistent schedule. They don't offer the same discount structure and benefit options but at least you would have a reliable schedule and paycheck.

It's kind of hard to enjoy benefits when you aren't getting enough hours to be able to afford to use them. Dental is good and all but I literally can't afford to use it.
Agree. IMO it's rather hard to focus on being best one can be for Target when focus is on trying to make ends meet on bills and being able to pay them.

I don't think that's occurred to Target decision makers.

Being distracted due to insufficient money IS huge.

States that have "at-will" employment still have rules that are expected to be followed.
For example: at will businesses in a state are EXPECTED to have a CLEAR DISCIPLINE POLICY. Target does NOT have a clear discipline policy. The discipline policy is supposed to be included in employee handbooks. ( This works well if you are fired for your FIRST offence.) Stores are expected to provide a WARNING before going straight to firing someone. (No matter the infraction.)

Since Target has no discipline policy that can be used for individuals (like me) who were fired without any type of warning.
Previous work performance should be considered as part of a decision for "immediate" dismissal.
Since Target has no discipline policy it is easy to show their "errors" in their handing out discipline. Assuming that a former TM has examples of unfair discipline...well, Target can be the ones to get in trouble.

While Target thinks it is getting away with unfair punishments...they are. It is former TMs who must stand up to Target and then changes will be made because there would be enough problems and OSHA with other groups will start watching Target.
Even if an attorney won't take a case, go for a consultation with an Employment & LAbor Law attorney. They can give you advice you need to move forward with Target....go for an appointment to meet for consultation. Lawyers on the phone don't seem to be interested in "small" employment claims.

Also...if you have any medical reason that you need special accommodations make sure to have a letter in your personnel file OR if you have any mental health issues make sure that you have a note from your doctor to prove that problems exist....so, if you get fired and have documentation it gives an attorney a chance to be able to use those notes if there is an employment issue in the future. (If I had doctors notes about my depression issues) then an attorney can quite possibly use that documentation to show discrimination.

While Target says they are TM oriented they are NOT....you must look out for yourself and certainly don't expect Target to provide any help without individuals who have power. (Attorneys and the Civil Liberties Union.) Target doesn't care and you are only a number...it is sad to say, but it is the truth.

As well, even though Target is not a union store, there are individuals in Unions that can help with employment issues. Finally, you can file with the Civil Liberties Organization and they may be more than happy to help out, if you have a reasonable chance to win.

Just because Target is a national company do not let them intimidate you....especially if you know that you are right. It can't hurt to send a letter to Corporate HR and the Administration offices.

Target does have a policy and procedure process that outlines what steps must be taken for different infractions. Poor work performance gets 2 write ups before a final warning then firing. And each write up is a certain length of time to give the tm time to improve before proceeding to the next level write up.
The policies are there. They just aren’t your business.

Sorry, as an employee in an at-will state a company is expected (a nice way of saying required) to have the written policy in the employee handbook.....otherwise there is nothing available for a person to see so that they know in advance what the rules are.....otherwise how is one to know if they are being treated fairly or properly in accordance with the rules of the business.

So, while you seem to know the process this information must be available in a handbook. Trust me, I've looked into this since I was fired and have been turned down for unemployment benefits...I have a hearing tomorrow to have the chance to present this information....and there's no way that target can try to get out of this. I've talked with three lawyers and they all say that this is how it is supposed to work. The legal way, not the target way. Legal laws cannot be challenged by a company that does not have their discipline policy written clearly in the handbook.

Finally, it is my business because if I am to be held to a discipline policy I must know the rules and I must know what the consequences are so that I don't break any rules. It is no different than a school classroom....teacher has the rules and the consequences are clear. IF it is done for children....it should follow that this should follow for adults....handbook....rules....what happens when you break rules....isn't that easy? Too bad this is beyond the scope of target. You see, target and upper level
tms in stores use scare tactics to get TMs to do what they want the TM to do and the TM does it because the TM is either too afraid to challenge the upper level store managers or, TMs just don't know what their rights really are.

I've seen several times where TMs are threatened with the loss of their job if they won't move to another department (sorry, not acceptable) or when a TM has a schedule change due to the babysitter having a change in their life a TM gets threatened with their job loss because of the one day change which is usually a flip change, not a take me off the schedule change (sorry, not acceptable) and who is the threatened TM supposed to talk to? TM probably doesn't know that the threats are fake and won't call the Integrity Hotline. So what happens with these fake threats? TM gets scared and either does exactly what the store leaders want them to do or the TM quits....and store management is happy.

Maybe this is the kind of situation of ASANTS, but it happened several times in my old store.

Rules and regulations are great if they are applied consistently and equally among all team members.Every single person on this thread knows at least one person who gets away with EVERYTHING at their store. When you are with a company for a length of time, you see things that you question but you keep your mouth shut because you need your job. About 15 years ago they decided that ALL Etls needed to have college degrees. (Previously experience or military could be used instead of degree) In a 3 month period our district lost 15 ETLs. They were all "performanced out". The reasoning on the coachings were staggering. Most of these ETLs had been high performers, and district resources. Funny thing is they all had no college degree. Coincidence? Maybe but I am not that naive. Target is a business. They have the right to staff how they choose. They do not have the right to discriminate based on age or weight. They need to stop patting themselves on the back and saying they are a great place to work.
they are no better than Walmart or Meijer. The simply have a different name and logo. They are pretty bare bones on leadership now. So where can they cut $$$ to makeup for the increased wage? Long term team members is one way. They could hire 2 people for what I made in one hour. They also want "moldable" team members. People that they can mold into what they want to fit their model right now. Skill at customer service is lacking. Skill at merchandising is lacking. Skill at simple reasoning is lacking. They have a revolving door of barely talent right now.Thats fine again their choice as long as its not discrimination. But for all of these people, just remember if the model changes so may the team member they want.

For anyone who gets their knickers in a knot about my phrase the lack of skilled people, I am not saying ALL. But if you are being completely honest you know you have a bunch of people working in your stores right now that couldn't get out of the building if the electronic doors malfunctioned.

Back