Archived Extended interns

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobycord

Know a little bit of info about a lot of stuff
to anyone that is one or has one in their store. What are the roles and expectations of an extended intern and who is their supervisor? Also what are the key differences of an intern and an extended intern?

We have had quite a few, and the role has varied. I think you are in your same store? If you have been covering LOD, you will likely continue to. You may be given an area, depending on your availability. You may revert to your previous role, but probably not. We have had a couple of extended interns from other stores who really weren't up to snuff, so were just tms. Last year, ours wasn't a very good one. She worked sporadically and had to ask her mommy if she should take the ETL job.

I know the basics but all the extra I'm not sure about. My STL said to expect a call in a few weeks from someone from our group headquarters with an offer for something I've been wondering about but she said she couldn't officially say what it was yet so that's the only thing I can think of. When I asked her about the extended internship she said she really had no clue how it went because she'd never had an extended intern working in her store but she knew if she did get one how she'd use them but she didn't know what the roles and expectations were and who they would report to when it came to statuses or annual reviews.

The extended intern we had last year essentially became the instocks Team Lead and only occasionally covered for LOD.

The extended intern we had last year essentially became the instocks Team Lead and only occasionally covered for LOD.
How'd they become the instocks TL and have time for school? Have they graduated? And if so why didn't they take the ETL offer?

Because it's not unreasonable or unfeasible for someone to be working as a TL while finishing their senior year?

Because it's not unreasonable or unfeasible for someone to be working as a TL while finishing their senior year?
True, but I just was wondering how they could do it as an instocks TL when it's predominantly if not only morning shifts and if they were an extended intern why would they take a pay cut and take a TL position unless the store just needed to fill a TL position and they got to keep their same pay....

They might not have required them to take a pay cut? They might go to a university that has multiple class schedule options or has several sections of the same classes? Does it matter to you?

They might not have required them to take a pay cut? They might go to a university that has multiple class schedule options or has several sections of the same classes? Does it matter to you?
It does obviously since A) I'm the one that made the thread B)I'm the one that wants to know no matter however broad it might be, what will happen after my internship and C) if they present that option to me what would be the pros and cons of taking it.....but the real question is does this thread matter to YOU? :rolleyes:

This thread in particular doesn't matter, but I just don't see the need to have five different intern threads. Partner with your trainer, with your recruiter, or with your STL. Every district is completely different and does things in their own special snowflake way. It would be way way more effective for you.

How many Redcard threads are there? Or maybe we can check how many bathroom threads? Google break room ETL bonuses and tell me how many threads you see on here...I'll wait ;)

So, they just recently changed the ETL bonus structure and not everyone knows what that process is. If you're trying to be petty and comment on something I've mentioned before it's incomparable.

I would also say a disproportionate amount of team members need to know about Redcards as compared to what happens to an intern after their 10 weeks.

From another thread:
An extended intern is an intern who has been extended an ETL offer, but wants to continue training before graduating college and starting ETL Business College.

Extended interns can be seasonal, working only during 4th quarter or can work the school year before starting BC.

Stores do not have to take an extended intern on, and the choice is usually up to the DTL and STL. Unlike the summer interns, who are on corporate payroll, extended interns are expensed to the store and thus their pay and hour will be deducted from the store's payroll.

I was an extended intern, utilized as a additional GSTL. Only reason I got the job was because we were down in GSA head count and the GE-ETL was attempting to performance out the GSTL.

I made 18.50 an hour during my extended internship and was given between 25-30 hours of pay.

If you decide to take an extended internship, make the expectations of what your STL/mentor want from you clear. The STL who granted me the extension wanted me to focus on the GE metrics and trying to improve the performance of the GSA/GSTL. However, when we got a new STL, she wasn't happy that I wasn't given more leadership in the building and though I was a poor performer. My mentor, in sucking up to her, agreed. Didn't help I had to cut my hours during my last semester and the STL thought I lacked dedication to the company.

Long story short, I left before taking the ETL role. Now I work in HR full-time and have a part-time cashiering jobs at Meijer.

Fun fact: interns can be any age, as long as they are in college. One of the other interns in my group was 31 and was doing the internship for an MBA program.
Thanks
bullseyekindaguy

So, they just recently changed the ETL bonus structure and not everyone knows what that process is. If you're trying to be petty and comment on something I've mentioned before it's incomparable.

I would also say a disproportionate amount of team members need to know about Redcards as compared to what happens to an intern after their 10 weeks.
What's important to some might not be important to others, you're obviously one of the others, BUT I'm sure there's other interns who ARENT on the thread regularly that are googling and looking for information on what could happen to them after their "10 weeks" and because I couldn't find it I asked....isn't this what this forums for? Can one of the moderators let me know if that's changed??o_O

If you're lucky enough to get an offer after your internship, I would probably look at how you communicate with people and perhaps make some adjustments.
I tailor my messages to the person and how their attitudes come off....I've gotten great feedback on my communication with the team actually ;) my best Target behavior is being bold I was told lol

For on another thread:
Internal candidates must be in good standing and have the support of their STL.

Internals will usually be given an "advanced" internship, meaning you'll skip over most of the basics, be given more responsibility and get into LOD duties at a faster pace. You will probably have to transfer stores.

EDIT: An advanced intern can also be someone who has already completed an internship and is completing another. Due to graduation delays, where they are at in ther studies, etc
Thanks
bullseyekindaguy

I tailor my messages to the person and how their attitudes come off....I've gotten great feedback on my communication with the team actually ;) my best Target behavior is being bold I was told lol

This post might answer your question:
So, I haven't been on this site for a while...super swamped with life and Target lol I just wanted to update people on my experience so far into my internship. (Obviously I won't give any personal details)
First, it's been absolutely great to come back, read about other people's experiences and be able to relate and actually understand the Target lingo.....man the acronyms are never ending haha. I read today that someone thought that interns were warned about this site, which in my case and other interns that I have talked to, isn't true. Not once have I heard anyone even talk about this site or anything like it!

I just finished my mid assessment with my ETL Mentor and STL which went extremely well! We talked about what I have learned, business processes and of course, my two wins and 1 opp which yes, has been pounded into my brain from my very first status. For me, I like the whole feedback culture because I want to constantly know how I am doing and what I need to work on so it isn't a big issue for me. (Haha I know I am not perfect and will never be) but I see how with others it can be frustrating! I was asked if I was offered a postition if I would take it and I said that I would (and yes, I read "Before you sign your life away"). Haha that piece is actually extremely accurate when it comes to the life of an ETL so in no way would I discredit it and I encourage any new person wanting to be an ETL to definitely read it!

This year the ETL Internship has been modified in a way to keep the interns in the store so that we can learn more and create relationships with the TM's so there are no outings, just phone chat sessions every few weeks. The interns though in my district and in other districts have gotten together a few times for our own "outing" outside of work. We don't have a big project this time but instead we have a final "Operational Review" which is supposed to be like a DTL/STL walk through/status throughout the store and whatever area our focus was in.

My personal experience has definitely been WAY more hands on that I realized which I love because I have been able to bond with my team and really get honest opinions from them...haha but that might also be because of our staffing/scheduling/payroll issues.... but anyway, every store is different! Being LOD has been such an interesting experience haha but surprisingly I like it and leading huddles was definitely something I needed to warm up to (due to still learning what is needed to know and what not) but I think I got the hang of it now.
Thanks
Goldbond

One of our interns has been around for months longer than the summer intern. I... Believe she already has a job offer though, because she's only working with one particular etl. So I think she's essentially being trained for that position. She's been there longer than other people who had etl training here, though, and they've said she was an intern. So I assume she's an extended intern.

I don't interact with her enough to know much, tbh.

I think when that person up there said their extended intern *essentially* became the log tl that the intern didn't literally become the tl, but the tasks they were given were tasks that the log tl would usually be doing.

I'm glad that you've gotten good at regurgitating leadership expectations, however, might want to double check how that translates into what the current Target behaviors are.

I'm glad that you've gotten good at regurgitating leadership expectations, however, might want to double check how that translates into what the current Target behaviors are.
What seems to be the issue with his thread or responses? It was just a harmless inquiry. Target is constantly changing so the older intern threads may not be completely applicable to him right now.

What seems to be the issue with his thread or responses? It was just a harmless inquiry. Target is constantly changing so the older intern threads may not be completely applicable to him right now.
Snoboy was referring the threads that op had started on interns since December of last year. My answers came from other threads on interns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back