Archived Extended Shifts/Fifth Hour/Branch Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
*raspsberry noise* We switched to Kronos now just ignore this mess of a thread

-----------------------------------------------------------

The store I work at was chosen as a pilot store to try out new things, not entirely sure what it all entails but I know most of it includes emphasis on red card numbers and friendly interaction. We also have an app to help organize our shifts, Branch Messenger, where team members can post up their shifts to trade with others.
And at first all of this seemed very nice and organized to me until, well, after orientation.

A big issue many team members find with this app is that it's not accurate. Any edits to schedules, any swapped shifts, do not show up on the app when changed. I guess you kind of just have to remember that you either took up one of the shifts or gave up one. Or go confirm it by actually going to the store and checking the schedule on the wall thats more frequently updated.

EDIT - I know now that not every shift that gets posted to branch is approved, but people still post their entire schedule hoping people will take the majority of their shifts (I don't understand. Change your availability or don't work there if you're just going to try and get rid of all of your shifts it makes absolutely no sense), and my store has been very short-handed recently because people still call out anyway if its not taken.

Not only that, but extending my shift also means a lunch being fit in so I don't hit my "fifth". This is something my store really really emphasized on from the very beginning, to make sure our time punches were accurate and that we were getting breaks and lunches when needed. But no matter how many times they asked me to extend my shift they can never seem to give me my breaks on time.
EDIT - Talked with a team member. People keep taking 20, 25, 30 minutes 15s and it messes with the chain of breaks (Everyone does it ik so whatever, but it is kind of annoying that I get my break an hour late and I still put a 15min timer on my phone for mine).

**Side topic**
Also. Can I talk about the red card for a quick second.
I've been able to get out two, three cards my whole time being here. A majority of the people who come into my lane either pay with cash, WIC, EBT/SNAP, or a red card already. I used to be able to pitch it really well but I just get attitude now from the customers and it knocks me down. Especially when they make really good points about the cards faults. I really need to start counting how many times has someone tells me there's something wrong with their REDcard or they try and use it and there's an issue and all I can tell them is to call the number on the card. It's really discouraging trying to promote something that doesn't work half the time. And the debit card may be more conventional but there are FEW people who carry blank checks with them, so the conversation usually ends there even if they were interested. I tell them to do it online, whatever.
But my GSA is pressuring me by showing me the list of cashiers and who's getting the most red cards out per week, people who have been here for years, and she's telling me if they can do it I can do it too. I always tell her I'll at least try and get one, but that's really not my focus at this point. I'm just trying to be a good cashier.

TLDR; My store needs to get a better grip on shift organization, probably trash this app. If I'm going to be forced to promote red cards they should probably work.

Last edited:
As far I know, we don't have the branch manager at my store. But damn, the schedule is always screwed up. People have their shifts changed in the system and no one bothers to tell them. So, what I do is take a picture of the posted schedule when it's posted. I work that schedule. If they change it without even telling me, nevermind asking, that is their problem.

Branch doesn't integrate with Target's scheduling system, so schedules need to be uploaded manually, by a spreadsheet, IIRC. Once the initial schedule is posted any changes to it need to be re-uploaded. We used to have our schedules posted to Branch instead of just using it for swaps, but people could not understand that when the big signs all over the TMSC said not to trust the Branch schedule, they meant it and always to use MyTime or the paper schedule, people still trusted Branch and would fail to show up for shifts if things got changed after the initial schedule was posted.

Now it's used for shift swaps, but HR monitors it and approves any shift trades and applies them to the official schedule in MyTime.

Branch doesn't integrate with Target's scheduling system, so schedules need to be uploaded manually, by a spreadsheet, IIRC. Once the initial schedule is posted any changes to it need to be re-uploaded. We used to have our schedules posted to Branch instead of just using it for swaps, but people could not understand that when the big signs all over the TMSC said not to trust the Branch schedule, they meant it and always to use MyTime or the paper schedule, people still trusted Branch and would fail to show up for shifts if things got changed after the initial schedule was posted.

Now it's used for shift swaps, but HR monitors it and approves any shift trades and applies them to the official schedule in MyTime.
Definitely going to stick with the wall schedule and just use the app for switching anything. :)

We also have an app to help organize our shifts, Branch Messenger, where team members can post up their shifts to trade with others.

And at first all of this seemed very nice and organized to me until, well, after orientation.

A big issue many team members find with this app is that it's not accurate. Any edits to schedules, any swapped shifts, do not show up on the app when changed. I guess you kind of just have to remember that you either took up one of the shifts or gave up one. Or go confirm it by actually going to the store and checking the schedule on the wall thats more frequently updated.

Yeah, Branch sucks because it so hard to maintain accuracy at all times. Like @IWishIKnew said, Branch is not integrated with myTime. Every tiny little edit to the myTime schedule requires someone to generate a new spreadsheet document from myTime, log into the Branch website, and then upload the document onto the website in order to keep the schedule up-to-date for everyone to see on the Branch app. It is such a colossal waste of time.

But a more pressing matter that I've been hearing lately is that people are abusing this app to get rid of their shifts, pretty much posting their entire schedule up and hoping someone will take them. But with all these empty shifts we often find ourselves short handed and I am very often asked to either come in early or extend my shift. I just got my job a month ago, so I don't really feel like I have the credibility to say no when I'm asked to extend my shift, but when I'm asked nearly every time I start to get anxious.

I know that all of this is probably much smaller than I'm making it out to be, but there's this feeling of dread I'm starting to get, that the people who have worked there longer have found a way to pretty much use our new 'polished' system to get out of work, so that the newbies can get loaded with all the crap work.

I don't understand what you mean by people abusing the app to get out of work. People can post whichever shift(s) they want on Branch but if nobody else voluntarily takes these shift(s) on the app, then these people who posted are still required to work their scheduled shift(s). Simply posting the shift does not absolve them of the responsibility of showing up for work.

Not only that, but extending my shift also means a lunch being fit in so I don't hit my "fifth". This is something my store really really emphasized on from the very beginning, to make sure our time punches were accurate and that we were getting breaks and lunches when needed. But no matter how many times they asked me to extend my shift they can never seem to give me my breaks on time.

Getting all of your breaks on time is company policy. Be proactive in making sure that it happens. I am not sure how it works at your store but at my store, we just announce our breaks to the LOD. If the LOD needs anyone to take it just a little bit later for coverage reasons, then they will let us know. If your store requires someone to tell you take your break before you can go and you are not getting your breaks on time, then you need to talk to HR.

TLDR; My store needs to get a better grip on shift organization, probably trash this app.

Well, I have some good news for you. Target plans to get rid of Branch very soon. :)

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean by people abusing the app to get out of work. People can post whichever shift(s) they want on Branch but if nobody else voluntarily takes these shift(s) on the app, then these people who posted are still required to work their scheduled shift(s). Simply posting the shift does not absolve them of the responsibility of showing up for work.
Yeah, I was a bit confused at first but this cleared it up, I also talked with someone at work about it, it just felt like that was happening because we kept getting really shorthanded recently. It just so happened that a lot of people have been calling off and going home early.
However, hearing that the app may be replaced is still music to my ears. :)

Target plans to get rid of Branch very soon

OK, so, what will replace it for shift swaps, then? My store got rid of the paper swap board early this year, but Branch is our only shift swap option.

Ok Branch is not the reason your coworkers are not showing up for their shifts. If no one covers then it still goes against their attendance. Even without Branch those same coworkers would still call out and you'd still be asked to stay to cover their shifts. Branch is a tool to help people find coverage, not an excuse to miss work.

Yeah, I was a bit confused at first but this cleared it up, I also talked with someone at work about it, it just felt like that was happening because we kept getting really shorthanded recently. It just so happened that a lot of people have been calling off and going home early.
However, hearing that the app may be replaced is still music to my ears. :)

Each store/month is a little different but it's possible your store has been short-handed because last week was the end of the month in terms of payroll. If your store has given out too many hours earlier in the month, the LODs may try to trim hours back down by letting people volunteer to cut shifts short or by intentionally leaving shifts on the swap board unfilled (not approving the swap, and not calling people in to cover when there's call outs). See if the next week or two has better coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back