• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barcode

So I've been noticing a trend that has been much more apparent this past year than it was several years ago when I started.

It seems like every single applicant who is high potential gets instantly hired into Sales Floor or Food workcenters.

Whereas Guest Service ends up getting all of the low potential applicants. It seems like all of our new cashier hires are either:
a) Can't figure out point of sale after a week of employment (aka technologically challenged)
b) People who are goofy in the head, aka not all there
c) Minors. Most of them are pretty good, but some have attendance issues (Surprise surprise... Target high school)

And don't even get me started on Cart Attendants... More than half of our cart attendants now are people who are impaired in one way or another. In the past our Cart Attendant team was incredible, and Cart Attendants were really good at managing many tasks, and being a global front end TM. Now most of our Cart Attendants are incredibly slow and can't do much more than just push carts and distribute baskets (if that), and Store Brand suffers a lot from it.

Guest Service used to be full of talent, but I feel like the standards have been falling extremely low, so we pretty much get only the people sales floor doesn't want. Like I'm getting to the point where I'm pulling my hair out with some of the hires we get, how can Target hire these people!?!?!?!

Anyone else been noticing this trend at their stores?

the new folks at my store, have no brains & need to be babysat every five minutes, no matter what workcenter they are in. here is a story on one new cart attendant, i was parking my car one night because i was closing, guess who suddenly pops out of his car with a smoke when he sees me, cart attendant! he wasnt on break, either. he had a chat(coaching) with the gstl after i told her what i saw.

I agree that he shouldn't have been smoking (i'm a smoker myself, and I don't do it unless i'm on break), but to tattle, oh gosh how I hate to go there, but seriously??? Holy Cow.

I agree that he shouldn't have been smoking (i'm a smoker myself, and I don't do it unless i'm on break), but to tattle, oh gosh how I hate to go there, but seriously??? Holy Cow.

Tattle?
Come on, we're all grown ups here.
You don't go sluffing off your work on other people and that's what he was doing.
It didn't have anything to do with smoking, it would have been the same if he'd been taking a nap or making out with his girlfriend.
Look everybody here will tell you I'm about the most liberal person around but I believe in working when I'm on the clock and take it personally when other people make me work harder because they can't be bothered.

We've busted cart attendants for taking a nap in their car, 'visiting' with their girlfriend in the car (windows fogged), smoking while bringing in carts, eating while bringing in carts, riding the cart mover, talking on their cell (oblivious to calls on the walkie for carry-out) to name a few.

Yes, I've noticed this too. I recently interviewed someone for a cashier position and said yes to them, only to have my ETL say he wanted them for sales floor b/c "anyone can cashier". My response was "and that attitude is why our conversion has dropped .5 YTD since you've been GE".

She is now on my team (I'm a GSTL) and was my top performer this month.

But as soon someone mentions EVERYBODY taking a "break" at starbucks (Front end mind you), it's part of the job. Regardless whether you are front end, GSTL, LOD, you ALL have done some slacking at some point. Don't tell me you haven't. I've brought up 2 things of gum and asked politely for the cashiers to put on the shelf. three days later, the product is still there to place. No, i'm not saying that all cashiers and front end are like this, but for my store, YEAH.

I enjoy working at Target, mind you, but when you don't tell your team mate somethings wrong, then your just tattling. No better way of putting it. You have an obligation to HELP the new team members to quite simply, understand their workload, and to repair what is needed. Maybe he got away with it in previous job, and wasn't a major infraction, but to state it to the person, is a lot better than actually tattling. Like I said, that is not the term I like to use, but i'll call it as it is.

Back on topic, I have been with this certain new employee for a couple months, and while he is a nice guy, at first I was like, "where the heck did he come from". But after a couple months, he is one of the best workers in my section. In the course of that time, I had been talking to him, and instructing him in the ways of work.

We also have another worker that is "disabled" and has a work coach that comes in. Although he has not been able to grasp the whole concept of Stocking, he IS an asset, in that he is ALWAYS there, and follows our commands (sorry, if that sounds like a pet). I really like him, and will be putting him to better use as we see fit.

I enjoy working at Target, mind you, but when you don't tell your team mate somethings wrong, then your just tattling. No better way of putting it. You have an obligation to HELP the new team members to quite simply, understand their workload, and to repair what is needed. Maybe he got away with it in previous job, and wasn't a major infraction, but to state it to the person, is a lot better than actually tattling. Like I said, that is not the term I like to use, but i'll call it as it is.

It's the Gstl responsibility to coach the team member (cart dude), not the person who was parking the car (read:not on the clock)

I'm SO not looking forward to Q4 hiring: people who lie about open availability to get hired then announce that they're going to school; training someone who decides this isn't what they wanted to do so they NCNS whenever they 'don't feel like working'; giving them hrs to learn the job only to see them give away shifts because it interferes with their social life while regular TMs have to beg at the swap board for hrs; listening to them whine about having to work BF or Christmas Eve & they NCNS anyway.
Yep, gonna be a fun year...

I"m not talking about coaching, I'm simply speaking of directing the person. Boy, no wonder why so many places have a huge turn around.

@OP that's why there needs to be an expectation of TLs conducting first interviews considering whether they'd want that person on their team, regardless of workcenters that need staff. If I wouldn't want someone on my team, then I wouldn't recommend them to someone else's just so we could make an offer.

@OP that's why there needs to be an expectation of TLs conducting first interviews considering whether they'd want that person on their team, regardless of workcenters that need staff. If I wouldn't want someone on my team, then I wouldn't recommend them to someone else's just so we could make an offer.

I saw a TL refer a prospective TM to another workcenter's ETL and the ETL got mad. The ETL had the same take you do, and I agree completely. If the TL didn't want this prospective TM, why would the ETL want this prospective TM for their workcenter?

"More than half of our cart attendants now are people who are impaired in one way or another"

I don't know if this is a hit on people who are mentally handicapped or not, but just an FYI - I used to be a GSTL. I had 4 cart attendants. One of them was mentally handicapped, the other 3 were "normal".

Guess which cart attendant never came in late? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant never called out? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant always had a good attitude and smile? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant I could always count on to do his job? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant never "disappeared" for an hour at a time? The mentally handicapped one.

Before you trash these cart attendants, make sure to ask a GSTL how well they do their job. Chances are, they are running circles around the non-mentally handicapped cart attendants. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Well I've seen our mentally handicapped cart attendant call in before... Plus he can tend to wander sometimes so he needs constant supervision, and when its busy the last thing I want to be doing is micromanaging the cart attendant(s). I'm not trashing handicapped people, because obviously they need jobs, but the reality is that we have to pick up a lot of the slack. Whereas when we have our top performer working he is doing laps around the front end, and always looking for more to do. I don't think im being unreasonable in any way.

So yeah we've been hiring a lot of people this past month. The other day I ended up working with this girl who was new, and she seemed to be catching on really quick. Asked her if she was hired as a cashier, and sure enough shes sales floor. Knew it was too good to be true for us to actually get a new hire whos not either a basket case or complete idiot.

I hate interviewing stupid people or people who give crappy answers. 2 weeks ago i interviewed a guy who brought in his starbucks coffee and kept drinking throughout the interview.

"More than half of our cart attendants now are people who are impaired in one way or another"

I don't know if this is a hit on people who are mentally handicapped or not, but just an FYI - I used to be a GSTL. I had 4 cart attendants. One of them was mentally handicapped, the other 3 were "normal".

Guess which cart attendant never came in late? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant never called out? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant always had a good attitude and smile? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant I could always count on to do his job? The mentally handicapped one.

Guess which cart attendant never "disappeared" for an hour at a time? The mentally handicapped one.

Before you trash these cart attendants, make sure to ask a GSTL how well they do their job. Chances are, they are running circles around the non-mentally handicapped cart attendants. Makes you think, doesn't it?
Lucky you, the mentally handicapped people at my store are some of the worst workers, the only one that gets recognized all the time is the person that handle the smashing of boxes and trash compactor.

We had four new ones yesterday. I started to train two and another cashier did the other two. The one with people and register experience who wanted to cashier for being a people person? Flow. The other one, when asked if she read the cashier manual said she glanced at it and didn't feel the need is cashier. The other two were flow and soft lines...and I didn't get to ask how they were.

This is possibly why they will never let me out of cashiering. I'm stuck in the web of, "we don't want to lose you."

I hate interviewing stupid people or people who give crappy answers. 2 weeks ago i interviewed a guy who brought in his starbucks coffee and kept drinking throughout the interview.

Yep. I feel like at least 3 of every 5 interviews I conduct I get horrible answers that don't even address the questions. Agh.

We had four new ones yesterday. I started to train two and another cashier did the other two. The one with people and register experience who wanted to cashier for being a people person? Flow. The other one, when asked if she read the cashier manual said she glanced at it and didn't feel the need is cashier. The other two were flow and soft lines...and I didn't get to ask how they were.

This is possibly why they will never let me out of cashiering. I'm stuck in the web of, "we don't want to lose you."

That's too bad they won't let you expand and learn more in the store. I wouldn't want to hold back a high potential TM just because they are good at something, I would want to encourage them to learn and develop!

We just went through hiring a BUNCH of people.....I've trained about 6 of them. I am going to be surprised if any of them make it through a month. We (the sales floor) can't figure out where the rock was that they were hiding under was and how the hell they got hired.

The second batch of people that were hired were called and told that they would start in a "while". Why? Because our STL screwed up the hours and we have absolutely no training hours. So our hours are getting cut because a) idiotic new hires who b and moan about so few hours, not realizing we have our hours cut so they can have some. and b)our stl approved hires without the hours.

Our store is the opposite... Hours are being flung around left and right.

We had 5-6 cashier positions posted (non seasonal)

Yep. I feel like at least 3 of every 5 interviews I conduct I get horrible answers that don't even address the questions. Agh.

That's too bad they won't let you expand and learn more in the store. I wouldn't want to hold back a high potential TM just because they are good at something, I would want to encourage them to learn and develop!

It's getting a bit better. After an hour and a half training in hard lines with the ETL this week, one of the SrTLs was super excited and told me today that he would love to get me in hard lines. And then he let me get off the floor and do some reshop, which about sent me over the moon with happiness. (Usually I'm the one chained to the lanes while everyone else gets to go off to the salesfloor.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back