Archived Fighting for my job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, my store manager, HR and supervisor had a meeting with me stating, "we have decided to honor your termination request and will allow you to leave by October 1st." That's fine and dandy if I still wanted to leave! In a moment of frustration, I gave them my written termination request about a month ago. After having the night to cool off and realizing that I need to remain here, I called in the next day and asked the HR to pretend that I never turned it in and that it was a mistake. She said, "I will take care of it." The next day, I saw my termination paper destroyed and thought this was all behind me. Now, we are here and I don't know what to do! I have expressed my desire to stay because if I can't handle the stress here, how can I handle becoming a police officer? I don't know what to do, I'm an emotional wreck after that meeting yesterday.

Just go back to your STL and ETL-HR and sit down with them to explain everything...thats about all you can do.

You did this a month ago and they are just now "honoring" your request?
I'd say they decided to screw you.
Can't say for certain but I somehow doubt that talking to them will make a difference but you should try anyway.
At the very least put it in writing that you don't want to leave and keep a copy so that when you file for unemployment you have something to fight with.

I just talked to them again stating that I wish to remain working at Target (almost 6 years now). They kept saying it's in both Target's and my own interest. I can file for unemployment over this?

Of course you can.
They fired you no matter what they say.

Well hopefully they don't realize that and try to terminate me so I can't file for unemployment. Thanks for the advice and I guess I'll see what happens when my last day rolls around October 1st.

Of course you can.
They fired you no matter what they say.

I disagree. Of course he can FILE for unemployment, but they have WRITTEN notice stating he wanted to leave. That is documenation of him saying he was quitting. What is in writing saying he rescinded that request? After they decide to honor it, it's too late to say "oh never mind." It's likely a done deal and if the EMPLOYEE QUITS then the company doesn't have to give him one thin red cent of unemployment.

That said, good luck. I doubt, if Target is set on saying goodbye, that unemployment will be forthcoming.

Sad to say that the firings are many in my store over the last few months,but it is even sadder that most of them are self inflicted because if attendance and other issues,people are basically firing themselves,for you it is possible that you can get them to change their minds but it will be very difficult as it seems that you are on their bad side,usually people just walk out or give a weeks notice when overcome by frustration,how come you gave two months notice,if you are such an emotional wreck you are probably better off leaving because I can tell you the bad part of the year is ahead as you well know,good luck.

I disagree. Of course he can FILE for unemployment, but they have WRITTEN notice stating he wanted to leave. That is documenation of him saying he was quitting. What is in writing saying he rescinded that request? After they decide to honor it, it's too late to say "oh never mind." It's likely a done deal and if the EMPLOYEE QUITS then the company doesn't have to give him one thin red cent of unemployment.

That said, good luck. I doubt, if Target is set on saying goodbye, that unemployment will be forthcoming.

The next day, I saw my termination paper destroyed and thought this was all behind me.

If they lied to him and didn't destroy the resignation, then pulled it out later at their convenience (evil, but what we've heard worse, right) he's pretty much screwed.
That's why I said put it in writing that he doesn't want to leave, that he thought the notice was destroyed, that he was promised that it was, and ask that the ETL-HR sign it.
They won't but it's worth a try.
Use the letter when you go in to file for unemployment.
Spot may be out to get you but try you hardest.

Once you turn in a resignation letter at my store then you are done. There is no changing your mind, the STL will not let you stay.
If they say it's in the store's and your best interest then consider yourself gone. There is a reason they will not allow you to stay, you have not told us of that reason. Look at it from their point of view, you got mad, threatened to quit and now want to backtrack and act like it never happened? Nope, learn to have better control over your emotional responses.

"Yesterday, my store manager, HR and supervisor had a meeting with me stating, "we have decided to honor your termination request and will allow you to leave by October 1st.""

LOL ROFL. What freaks. They are so full of themselves, they worded that is if they had the power to force someone to work for them like a slave. Bunch of power crazy freaks.

Anyway, the truth is turning in a resignation letter is pretty much a career ending move. It really isn't something most companies will let you "take back". (this isn't just Target - it is true anywhere you go) Honestly, you are going to have to bite the bullet and get something lined up by October 1st. You are pretty much done - there are no take backs after doing something like that, and you are only going to hurt yourself if you don't start looking for a job ASAP.

Even if you manage to convince them to let you stay, chances are they are going to make your life hell from here on out. It isn't worth it to work in that kind of environment.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.... There are lots of other jobs out there despite what the media will tell you.

I just talked to them again stating that I wish to remain working at Target (almost 6 years now). They kept saying it's in both Target's and my own interest. I can file for unemployment over this?

Nope. They have it in writing that you decided to leave. (even if they destroyed the original you gave them, I would bet money they made a photocopy of it....)

Well the resignation was destroyed by someone else who usually works the schedules (I'm not sure of her official title so lets say data operations leader). I told her that the HR said she would take care of it and that I didn't want my resignation processed. Well the data operations leader took the form and destroyed it herself. They do not have any documentation against me anymore, nor do they have my verbal consent. I already begged and pleaded in the first meeting, but they said it was in Target's and my best interest to honor a non-existing-now document. Nothing was processed yet and now all they have are words against me. The reason I want to remain is so I can overcome this obstacle for myself by dealing with all this stress to better prepare myself to becoming an officer of the law.

Last edited:
Well the resignation was destroyed by someone else who usually works the schedules (I'm not sure of her official title so lets say data operations leader). I told her that the HR said she would take care of it and that I didn't want my resignation processed. Well the data operations leader took the form and destroyed it herself. They do not have any documentation against me anymore, nor do they have my verbal consent. I already begged and pleaded in the first meeting, but they said it was in Target's and my best interest to honor a non-existing-now document. Nothing was processed yet and now all they have are words against me. The reason I want to remain is so I can overcome this obstacle for myself by dealing with all this stress to better prepare myself to becoming an officer of the law.

Dude, please tell me you are not that naive. I can pretty much guarantee you they made a photocopy of it you don't know about. They wouldn't be so confident about this is if they still didn't have a copy of it. They can't just term you without a paper trail. Let me say that again - they *must* have something in writing showing the term was justified. The fact they haven't asked you to fill out any paperwork pretty much proves they still have a copy of your letter. If they didn't have your letter, they would be begging you to fill out a voluntary termination request or some other form because they would need something in writing to justify it. Trust me, they have a copy of the letter.

Last edited:
Even so, I'm still giving them a written consent of my willingness to continue working there. Perhaps a written witness statement as well?

The biggest problem with leaving Target is that if I'm accepted into the police academy, there's no job waiting for me afterwards. So, I need to take a leave of absence at the end of December so I can come back to work after my training. I'm self-sponsoring myself because no agency will hire me after my one and only misdemeanor.

Even so, I'm still giving them a written consent of my willingness to continue working there. Perhaps a written witness statement as well?

That's not a good idea.... That won't nullify your original letter.

Legally, the moment you turned in that resignation letter, your employment ended on the date specified in the letter. Basically Target has zero legal obligation to employ you after that date now. Even if you were working at Intel and you were a high level engineer, it is highly unlikely they would let you do a "take back" on the letter. In the business world, resignation letters are pretty much written in stone. No one plays games with them. Once you turn one in, you're done. Period. You have zero legal right to cancel the letter, which is what it appears you are trying to do.

Best thing I can say is let this be a life lesson. When you put something in writing, you can't simply "undo" it because you change your mind. That goes for resignation letters and bunches of other things.

The biggest problem with leaving Target is that if I'm accepted into the police academy, there's no job waiting for me afterwards. So, I need to take a leave of absence at the end of December so I can come back to work after my training. I'm self-sponsoring myself because no agency will hire me after my one and only misdemeanor.

just wondering why you are going to school to be an officer if no one is going to hire you?

just wondering why you are going to school to be an officer if no one is going to hire you?

If he gets a degree, it is still useful even if he doesn't become a cop. I am guessing criminal justice degree? Lots of social service agencies will hire you with that degree..... not only police.

Actually I'm going straight to the academy and there isn't a degree involved, just POST certification. Agencies would actually hire someone who is already certified over hiring someone and paying for them to go through the academy. It just makes more sense this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back