Archived Final and Reach truck training question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am on a final which ends in November. I admit I made a mistake but I've learned from it. I am really wanting to learn the reach truck as it is the last piece of PIT my department has. Now I'm obviously very wary of the possibility that if I mess up that I could be done.....which is where my question comes in. I've talked to my OM about this and they've told me if I were to have an incident I'd be ok because I'm not on a safety trend, but I've also been told any incident I have will lead to my termination since I'm on final and that was by a couple of senior TMs. Any advice you all can give me would be much appreciated.

I would say that depends on how comfortable you are on an RC and other equipment. Everyone told me that reach trucks were difficult to operate and while they are complicated I haven't had any issues with one.
However if you aren't careful it's easy to get into trouble quickly when dealing with the racks. So if you're concerned they are actively looking for something to cut you over I'd wait till I was off the ca.
You could always ask to be trained and base your decision off how the training goes. But depending on your om they may not want to put you back on it later if you tell them you feel uncomfortable on one.

I am planning to wait until my CA is done. But getting the conflicting stories is what gets me. I'm actually really good on the RC, I just take my time since I very rarely use it.

You get conflicting stories because they can pick and choose what they want to nitpick over. What they let one person off with is a firing offence for another. Just depends on if they are trying to thin out a department, personality of the om, what pressures that om is under, want to set some sort of example, or if the just have a team member they are trying to get out the door.

I can't say I'd blame you for playing safe and waiting if you aren't in a hurry.

I know they aren't trying to force me out. The OM made that clear with the whole if you have an incident we're not going to really sweat it because you're off the safety trend. The only reason I'd be in a hurry is if they were going to deny me training due to the timing of when my CA ends. I spoke to the OM about my concern and was greeted with we will make it happen.

I admit I am a bit nervous, but with time and training, I'll be ok on the reach truck. It's just like it was with feeding for me. I was nervous to even switch over. Now I can feed six people no sweat

On a side note, if you're RC trained, getting trained on the reach truck is fairly easy, as the control scheme is almost identical. Just go in knowing that the handling is completely different. It's faster, brakes harder, has better acceleration, and turns much tighter than an RC, and it certainly takes some time to get used to.

On a side note, if you're RC trained, getting trained on the reach truck is fairly easy, as the control scheme is almost identical. Just go in knowing that the handling is completely different. It's faster, brakes harder, has better acceleration, and turns much tighter than an RC, and it certainly takes some time to get used to.
I'm RC trained and its fairly easy for me to operate, although I very rarely use it. I used it about three weeks ago doing carton floor having to down stack a bulk location and it was just like riding a bike. I didn't forget.

The RR isn't too bad. I've been on it for about 6-7 months. I still get nervous pulling stuff off the top rack especially now that we have to wear safety glasses and the glare off some of the lights is awful.

As for your getting in trouble for messing up. It really does depend. I've watched a guy on a safety final screw up repeatedly and he's still there. If they're not trying to get rid of you and you don't so something silly like pop out a beam, then don't report it, and then try fixing it yourself you should be fine.

My main concern is, we recently lost our OM who moved to another DC. Our new OM is super nice and chill and is always working with us to get the best out of us. Our mid-shift is not the greatest and for lack of a better term is on a power trip and has in the past told me that they couldn't wait to walk me out if I had another incident. It was reported to the Senior by me and I got an apology the next weekend I was in on OT. It was horrible on my last shift as my OM told me to keep an eye on our newer feeders when I'd drop freight off. I helped one catch up and the mid-shifter didn't feel like I should be in there so they sent me back out. I had tome in again after break to help the other feeder catch up. Had to fill the OM in on what I observed and after I was given instruction not to flex feed after 9 since packer counts would be down Mid-shift comes in points again and sends me back out. The OM apologized to me after the mid-shift left because of conflicting instructions. With all of that being said that brings up what happens if I do wait and then mess up. I'm not on a safety trend right now and when I make it off the final what the OM will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back