Archived Finally gone after opening a Canadian store ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

After working at spot since mid 2013 in a huge Canadian province, I have finally called it quits. The decision was a fairly easy one to make during this point in my professional career.
Let's begin with a couple of things I had on my mind (as I am sure my friends State side probably are wondering about as well...)

I was part of the Canadian Target experience as we opened two locations in Q4 just in time for the busy holiday shopping season. Temporary office training + Hiring Blitzes + "Planorama" + going live all in a couple of months! Whoa was it ever a fun and exciting time! However, the fun quickly dissipated into an ordeal that forced out many, many great TL's that were courted in order to join spot. During my 14 month career at spot I progressed through GSTL > Sr HLTL. It was a matter of months before I was to get an ETL opportunity. I loved the challenges the positions offered. However, within the same time I saw plenty of debacles and "un-professional" decisions made by corporate and store level managers that, if left unchanged, will continue to drive the company reputation in Canada into the ground. My biggest irk was hiring TL's, and more importantly ETL's, that are not able to run a business at all. Sadly the same goes for some of the STL's I have encountered (aside from the few and far between exceptional leaders I have come across). Corporate really controls their decision making on every aspect. This is a recipe for downright failure. Innovation and collaboration nurture success and creative solutions; control and domination are less than fruitful.

The company, as we have all come to realize, entered the Canadian market with an ambitious appetite. Spot bit off more than it could ever chew. The consequences of that are being felt amongst its TM's and Guests. Countless positions are being "abolished." Employee retention is less than favourable (this may level off eventually due to the instability of the fresh expansion).

What will I miss most about working at spot? The people. It's always about the people.

What won't I miss at all? LOD shifts. Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back