Archived Firing over not selling enough red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else's store firing cashiers if they don't sell enough red cards? I went to pick up my coworker today when she got off work and she was talking to me about that. A gsa got fired also (signing people up and saving them 5% even if they weren't approved)

Luckily I no longer work at spot :)

They are not supposed to fire you for not getting them, only for not asking. That's the "official" policy. But they can work around that by coaching/writing you up for every single instance you're overheard not asking. So if you ask 100 guests 100 times, but then you fail to ask the 101st guest, they could make that a coaching if they wanted to be nasty about it. If you don't slip up there, they can find other reasons to "officially" write you up which would eventually be a firing. The truth is, they can fire anyone they don't like because everyone can be nabbed for something. Or they can just threaten to fire you if you don't sell enough REDcards, which is enough to scare people even if they don't actually mean it.

Target is the worst when it comes to the pressure and stress they put on their low-wage employees over selling credit cards to people. I know a lot of chain retailers including Walmart, etc. like to push their store cards but if I had to rate the manner in which they did it Target would be at the bottom. Where I work right now, Lowe's, there is no one yelling at you for not meeting a quota. At Target, you could very well be fired for not meeting the quota. It's disgusting, especially when employees don't get paid enough to be treated that way.

They are not supposed to fire you for not getting them, only for not asking. That's the "official" policy. But they can work around that by coaching/writing you up for every single instance you're overheard not asking. So if you ask 100 guests 100 times, but then you fail to ask the 101st guest, they could make that a coaching if they wanted to be nasty about it. If you don't slip up there, they can find other reasons to "officially" write you up which would eventually be a firing. The truth is, they can fire anyone they don't like because everyone can be nabbed for something. Or they can just threaten to fire you if you don't sell enough REDcards, which is enough to scare people even if they don't actually mean it.

Target is the worst when it comes to the pressure and stress they put on their low-wage employees over selling credit cards to people. I know a lot of chain retailers including Walmart, etc. like to push their store cards but if I had to rate the manner in which they did it Target would be at the bottom. Where I work right now, Lowe's, there is no one yelling at you for not meeting a quota. At Target, you could very well be fired for not meeting the quota. It's disgusting, especially when employees don't get paid enough to be treated that way.

Yeah at best buy you're expected to sell protection plans, memberships, and credit cards; but not at the rate Target did. As you said, its crazy the expectations Target puts on thier employees... Especially since they run on a skeleton crew and want everything looking beautiful all the time

I wonder if Target is going to pay for all the mental breakdowns I predict in the near future?

I doubt it. That's why I left, I couldn't stand hearing about red cards everyday. (I also didn't like one of the gsa's)

How can they prove you weren't asking? Like if your ETL says you didn't and you say you did.

If the GSTL or LOD is behind you and you didn't ask. Happened to me one time with the GSTL. They were being extremely annoying one day with red cards and guest surveys. I didn't ask one customer (he bought like a pack of gum) and I was told to turn off my light and than I got coached by the GSTL and store manager

Ah, nice. I got an "official, documented coaching" today over red cards (I thought I had to sign something, but I didn't?) because I wasn't asking guests.

Literally almost had a breakdown to the GSTL about it, but instead tried to play it cool (through choked back tears) about how I hate how no matter how good a cashier was, I'm always worth less than those who get them (and let me tell you she kept emphasizing it to hell and back that I'm an AMAZING cashier). Should have just let myself cry about how it's literally affecting my confidence and mental health worrying about how many red cards I get. Stopped asking and it felt like a weight off my shoulders. At least managed to reiterate how much I wanted to be in hardlines because fuck the red cards.

Ah, nice. I got an "official, documented coaching" today over red cards (I thought I had to sign something, but I didn't?) because I wasn't asking guests.

Literally almost had a breakdown to the GSTL about it, but instead tried to play it cool (through choked back tears) about how I hate how no matter how good a cashier was, I'm always worth less than those who get them (and let me tell you she kept emphasizing it to hell and back that I'm an AMAZING cashier). Should have just let myself cry about how it's literally affecting my confidence and mental health worrying about how many red cards I get. Stopped asking and it felt like a weight off my shoulders. At least managed to reiterate how much I wanted to be in hardlines because fuck the red cards.

I relate to this so much, which is why I pushed my leadership to switch me over to Guest Service. I don't know about other stores, but GSTMs aren't pressured to get redcards as much. I enjoy my job a lot more and working the service desk allows me to get to know more of my fellow team members. Definitely push for more hardlines training and try to pick up hardlines shifts when possible. Your mental health will greatly improve if you feel more comfortable at work.

Old Navy is worse, the store I was at gave hours based on how many cards you sold.

I relate to this so much, which is why I pushed my leadership to switch me over to Guest Service. I don't know about other stores, but GSTMs aren't pressured to get redcards as much. I enjoy my job a lot more and working the service desk allows me to get to know more of my fellow team members. Definitely push for more hardlines training and try to pick up hardlines shifts when possible. Your mental health will greatly improve if you feel more comfortable at work.

At my store, Guest Service isn't expected to talk up the Red Card at all. At most, you might get the occasional guest who goes up to the service desk to sign up thinking that they can only do it there.

At my store, Guest Service isn't expected to talk up the Red Card at all. At most, you might get the occasional guest who goes up to the service desk to sign up thinking that they can only do it there.

I've had quite a few guests come up lately and ask to sign up. It's pretty awesome getting low effort REDcards. The only time Guest Service TMs are bugged about REDcards is if we are really, really struggling with them that week. My store has been doing a lot of REDcard games lately which seems to be helping us meet our goals. The SrGSTL asked me if I had any ideas for games last week. It's kind of ironic coming from her considering I heard her telling an ETL-GE in training a few months ago that games and prizes shouldn't be used too much because cashiers shouldn't be rewarded for simply doing their job.

This is why I'm glad I'm sales floor. The whole red card thing is insane and I feel bad for all the cashiers. They tell us to still mention it to guests but it's hard to work it in unless you're helping a guest in electronics or something. Plus you don't get credit anyways if they don't sign up until they go to a register.

They keep trying to get me to get a red card myself all the time, I just walk away when they start talking about it

I've been trying for a while to get switched to Hardlines. It's such an annoying cycle

Ask HR > Say to ask GSTL/ETL > Say to ask Salesfloor ETL > Says to ask GSTL/ETL > Says it's not up to them

and arrows fly all over the place as it makes a weird ass cycle. Honestly I might just be happy if they'll like...bend the rules and let me cashier in peace without red cards lmao

seriously though, i'm becoming depressed over not getting red cards, i've gotten 2 this year and that's it. it's depressing seeing other cashiers getting like 2-5 a day. and going into tsc and seeing a list of the top 3 cashiers of the week who got the most redcards is discouraging. not to discriminate but i feel that the older cashiers at my store who are 70 and up get more people to sign up because people have a harder time saying no to them. i'm not a salesperson and if someone says no the first time i'm not gonna harass them by asking again. 5% isn't a lot if you're buying a pack of gum and a candy bar or two. unless you're gonna drop $200 or more then it's not really worth it. yeah the debit card is nice if you shop at target a lot but most people don't carry checks with them. sorry, rant over.

Last edited:
Old Navy is worse, the store I was at gave hours based on how many cards you sold.

Probably because literally no one has or desires to have an Old Navy credit card.

Unfortunately, this was not the case at my store after corporate got rid of the prompts. As you might recall (if you were around back when REDcard prompts were used), the Service Desk pretty much never got prompts unless there was a purchase being made at the Desk, which rarely happened as they primarily deal with returns. Well, prompts were removed and our STL required that everyone who wasn't previously required to ask for obvious reasons (SDTM, Food Ave TM) would now be required to ask every guest. It was a nightmare. People were complaining about being asked to open a credit card when they were buying popcorn -- I'd probably be annoyed myself, and I'm used to playing this game!

I remember the day when I posted on this forum that I was so pleased to see prompts gone, but really I had spoken too soon. Our store went from #1 in the district for REDcards back when we had prompts to second to last because of the insane new goal for cards. One of the reasons I quit was the unbearable stress and frustration I came into every shift having to deal with over these damn pieces of plastic. Making 50 cents above minimum to be blamed for my cashiers not hitting our ever-increasing and unrealistic goals. Being questioned as to my leadership abilities by upper management because I couldn't get us to sell more cards. It didn't matter that we were great at guest service or anything else. I'm surprised they didn't try to coach or write me up for poor REDcard performance. Fuck Target for treating people this way.

This is so true. I don't think I could have said it better. If you can't sell a million REDcards a shift, you're worthless as a cashier. Your customer service skills be damned. Your friendliness, ability to bag purchases, and everything else that actually matters in your role as a cashier? Worthless if you can't get enough people to apply for a high interest credit card. My old store regularly shamed cashiers and GSAs who couldn't reach corporate's bullshit metric that they pulled straight out of their asses from the comfort of their Minneapolis offices. I'd like to see them sell these cards for minimum wage.

This is so true. I don't think I could have said it better. If you can't sell a million REDcards a shift, you're worthless as a cashier. Your customer service skills be damned. Your friendliness, ability to bag purchases, and everything else that actually matters in your role as a cashier? Worthless if you can't get enough people to apply for a high interest credit card. My old store regularly shamed cashiers and GSAs who couldn't reach corporate's bullshit metric that they pulled straight out of their asses from the comfort of their Minneapolis offices. I'd like to see them sell these cards for minimum wage.

Speaking as someone with absolutely no self confidence, I absolutely believe I am in the top 3 cashiers at the store. Aside from red cards I consistently get so many compliments on my friendliness, bagging and speed from guests (shame they never tell the GSA/GSTL about it but it's cool ig). Being next to the other cashiers long enough, I honestly just don't hear those same compliments. Instead I hear long red card spiels, sometimes followed by that click of their light turning off so the guest can fill out their application.

The GSTL tried telling me that I shouldn't worry about what others are getting, just worry that I'm asking. That no one is held in higher regards than the others. Such bullshit. The fact that they need to practically bribe us with Starbucks, or merch is ridiculous.

I've been trying for a while to get switched to Hardlines. It's such an annoying cycle

Ask HR > Say to ask GSTL/ETL > Say to ask Salesfloor ETL > Says to ask GSTL/ETL > Says it's not up to them

and arrows fly all over the place as it makes a weird ass cycle. Honestly I might just be happy if they'll like...bend the rules and let me cashier in peace without red cards lmao
Have you tried speaking with any of your Hardlines TLs? Let them know that you're interested in transferring workcenters. Watch the swap shift board for open shifts and talk to your HR TM about being considered for hours that need to be filled. Also keep an eye on your store's hiring needs. If you're hiring for hardlines, ask about filling that need.

In my eyes, if you're a strong team member, I want you there when I'm there.

Have you tried speaking with any of your Hardlines TLs? Let them know that you're interested in transferring workcenters. Watch the swap shift board for open shifts and talk to your HR TM about being considered for hours that need to be filled. Also keep an eye on your store's hiring needs. If you're hiring for hardlines, ask about filling that need.

In my eyes, if you're a strong team member, I want you there when I'm there.
Yep, and I'm sure that half the store knows where I would rather be by now. We actually...don't have the shift board anymore. A TM ruined it for the rest of us by taking someone's shift and then calling out for it...on Halloween. HR has been giving me shifts every now and then too. Totally forgot about hiring though, I know we have been, gotta double check the list to see if they're after hardlines!

I basically get one per shift. Most of the time, though, it's a 7-10 days and we'll get back to you but it still counts so I don't care. They really push REDcards at my store cuz I guess we are in the bottom for them. Whatever. So over the past 2 weeks, I've gone to 3 different Targets. Was I ever asked about a REDcard? Nope. So clearly most cashiers don't give flying flip or their stores aren't being neurotic about pushing them.

I agree that a cashier's job should be about FAST, FRIENDLY service. As a customer, I want to get out the door and home. Maybe have a nice chat while checking out? That's it. Surveys, REDcards, wtf? People like to shop at Target. Getting a REDcard isn't going to prove their loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back