Archived First Cashier shift...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got hired for Softlines in September, have only done backup cashier a couple of times since I'm usually given two shifts per week. I saw that I have a cashier shift next wk for 6.5 hrs and I'm quietly freaking out since the times I've done backup I've been quite awful (slow speed score, Rs, no redcards etc). Since it's a cashier shift, are expectations higher? Like, am I expected to get high speed scores, get red cards etc? Also, how do I remove spider wraps because i've never been taught. I'm super anxious of messing up and getting in trouble for my scores. Any advice is appreciated (I've been reading the cashier guide here too which is super helpful).​

Don't stress out too badly; cashiering is extremely easy. If you were hired for softlines, you shouldn't have all the expectations that the regular cashiers have, however you will want to try to use this shift to improve on things you can fix easily. Not saying you necessarily need to get 100% speed and 12 redcards, but just do your best to get your own rhythm going. :)

Spiderwraps are tricky, it would depend if you had those new ones with the giant magnet to remove them, or the ones that you insert the 2 nubs into and push to release. Before you get on a lane, have a mini lesson with the GSTL/GSA, or a cashier if the lanes aren't busy. Nobody will get mad at you if you need help during a transaction. If you happen to forget and are in the middle of a transaction, scan the item with the spiderwrap and set it aside until the end of the transaction so it doesnt cause you to get a R on speed. Target guests are usually forgiving on team members if you apologize to them and explain you aren't normally a cashier. You can also say you're new and learning things still, too.

You will be fine i'm sure! Good luck! :)

The speed scores will be gone soon so I wouldn't worry about that. Red cards are important but over 6.5 hours you might get one or you might not, just ask every guest and see how it goes. Plenty of people at my scores have 8 hour shifts and don't get one.

There is a thread about spiderwrap, I have backed up before and gotten it and freaked out. Just take your time, if you need help put your light on and the GSA should be happy to help.

You'll be fine, just relax and be friendly. Cashiering can be boring and give social anxiety but it's not a difficult job. Unless you are stealing money or cannot count change you can't really screw it up.

HRZone, I actually suffer from social anxiety I think that's why I get so stressed out and my mind is going miles a minute with negative thoughts (it's one of the reasons why I prefer softlines, I can just be folding clothes and doing gobacks instead of interacting with people every minute). I think I just need to get more cashier shifts and get more exposure and hopefully it will get better. >< I'm such a spaz that I want to be quicker but the times I've tried I just messed up something and my mind got blocked out. Ugh. The last few times I've done backup someone tried to scam me by short-changing (bought a piece of gum, paid with $100 bill etc) and I freaked out a bit and was a bit rude with the guest when I refused to give him back the $100 after he gave it to me when he paid for the gum and I was giving him the change and then I got a rude customer with a bunch of coupons that didn't work and she got an attitude. But I guess that's retail for you.

SobangchaPlz, Thanks for the suggestions! For my next shift, I'll just arrive earlier and ask someone to show me (if they're not too busy). Same with taking the locks from the video games etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back