Archived First Day of Work, Mistakes Galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from my first day of work I did the 3 online tests and was then told to go watch a cashier in action for a bit. After that I was given the cashier handbook for about an hour so I made it to like page 20 and the last thing I did was the WIC practice transaction.

Then I was given a register of my own to start on and I did HORRIBLE even though I was on the register for only 30 mins I still made all the below mistakes.

-Forgot to take my 15 min break(hopefully this isn't too big a deal)
-Looked at a 50$ bill wrong and made a simple transaction take like 10 mins
-0% on my speed score at the end of the day
-Getting the bags out individually is probably my weakest point it takes me like 6 seconds and both hands to get a bag ready.
-Separating items is probably next on my weak point list could really use some general tips here.
-I was rushing and trying to multitask so my brain was all frazzled and stuff so I was dropping stuff and my scanner gun and making dumb mistakes I generally wouldn't make. Any way tips to cut down on multitasking or rushing so I can focus better but still get a good time?:wacko:
-Noone wants to buy redcards!!! I asked everyone!:angry:

Some advice from people who are doing well or have been doing this for a long time would be great because my trainers we're pretty lousy throwing me right into the mix with 30 mins of training by myself and then watching someone for 10mins.

They didn't even let you finish the training booklet? Wow. They should have you shadow someone until you feel comfortable being on a register by yourself. If you've never been a cashier before, ten minutes of shadowing is NOT enough. Partner with your GSTL or GSA to get additional training, it sounds like you could use it.

Yea they didn't even let me finish the booklet, I was quite surprised by how terrible the training program was. I definitely will be needing extra training so how would I go about getting in touch with my GSTL or GSA so I can request for it? Should I just ask in the store or do I call and let them know?

You should have had more training and shadowing with a cashier. The training book doesn't go over everything. You should have at least 30min shadowing or more with the cashier interacting with you.

1. Lunch is a very big deal. But ifs its a break, no big deal but don't make it a habit. The GSTL/GSA should have followed up on your breaks and meals . They are supposed to schedule and notify you when to take your breaks. If its been more than 30 min passed your scheduled break/lunch or close to the end of your shift, then you need to remind them.

2. Do you mean you input the cash amount wrong? As long as you give the correct change back, its ok if you keyed it in wrong. If you were checking the bill authenticity, just go by your store's big bill standards. A lot of stores don't even check bills.

3. You are in training your speed scores will not determine your status at the very beginning. You will improve young padawan.

4. The bags are cheap. You just have to get used to it. Just make sure the bags are loaded on the bagwell rack correctly.

5. If you mean separating items while bagging.
- A smart guest will separate the items for you.
- Bag as you go. Don't try to find a bag with room in it.
- Scan clothes and put them off to the side. Only after the transaction is completed, take the hangers off and fold and bag the clothes. Hangers are the biggest speed score penalties.
- Breads, chips, and squishable items group together or add to its own bag.
- Group frozen foods and refrigerated items together. Then Dry and can goods together.
- Any chemicals need to be bagged separately away from any food or clothes.
- Any bulky or heavy items save them to the end to put in the cart.

6. Simple tip: slow down and pace yourself. Don't try to run out of the gates first thing. If you rush, you are going to miss a scan. But you will eventually get it.

7. The rule of thumb is to CYA and ask everyone about red cards. Forget the prompts. Learn the benefits to the red card. If they have kids, mention the school donation system. If they have prescriptions, mention the Prescription Rewards. And you can combo discounts. Redcard 5% and Pharmacy Rewards discount. Also mention, there is a Target debit card version if they mention they don't want a credit card.

If you notice it is going to be a big purchase, mention the 5% discount at the beginning. Total the transaction and mention that the RedCard again and it can save so-so amount.

Last edited:
Wow BuliSBI you're a big help o-o, I've learned more from you in 10 mins then I have from my entire training session today:good:. I'll keep your tips in mind next time since I go back on Wednesday, hopefully I can find a way to get more training by then.

5. If you mean separating items while bagging.
- A smart guest will separate the items for you.
- Bag as you go. Don't try to find a bag with room in it.
- Scan clothes and put them off to the side. Only after the transaction is completed, take the hangers off and fold and bag the clothes. Hangers are the biggest speed score penalties.
- Breads, chips, and squishable items group together or add to its own bag.
- Group frozen foods and refrigerated items together. Then Dry and can goods together.
- Any chemicals need to be bagged separately away from any food or clothes.
- Any bulky or heavy items save them to the end to put in the cart.

Just a quick addition: raw meats (steaks, ground meat, poultry, etc) should be bagged together, separate from ready-to-eat food (produce, lunch meats, hams...)

Just a quick addition: raw meats (steaks, ground meat, poultry, etc) should be bagged together, separate from ready-to-eat food (produce, lunch meats, hams...)

This is half true. It should be separated by type of meat, because otherwise you risk cross-contamination. So all raw chicken can go together, but any raw beef should be put in a separate bag. I'm not sure if it's in our training book, but it should be.

To make it easier to get those awful bags open, some of our veteran cashiers will keep a damp paper towel at the register to moisten their fingers with. It really works!

This is half true. It should be separated by type of meat, because otherwise you risk cross-contamination. So all raw chicken can go together, but any raw beef should be put in a separate bag. I'm not sure if it's in our training book, but it should be.

Yes, this is true. If we're being totally food safe, the ground beef and pork should be in a different bag than the whole cuts of beef/pork as it requires a higher cooking temperature.

Group with like items in separate bags:
Fish
Ground beef/pork
Whole cuts of beef/pork
All poultry
Ready-to-eats

I only left it out specifics because the guests won't be cooking the ready-to-eats at all, but will cook everything else (hopefully to the food safe temps). Also, guess who are genuinely concerned about their food safety will put the meats the bags provided in meat/produce when they pick their meat.

Don't sweat the speed and your RedCard scores yet. You're still in training. I've been here for a month and a half and I could not get red cards for anything when I first started. Today alone I got four. You'll get it, just give it time. Welcome to Target!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back