Archived First day on my own: Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

B26

Hey guys,

I'm sure I'll be posting in this section quite a bit until I'm around a bit longer.

Anyways, I was on my own all of today and I'm wondering how I did...

I had to have co-workers/managers come help me, but not a lot, maybe just 3 or 4 times. I sadly did not sell any REDcards and my speed score was around an 87 (not even my fault, nobody knows how to use a card reader).

My manager was very nice, but I was wondering how I did?

Also, I clocked out 4 minutes after my shift was over. Do managers really care and I will be spoken to or will they not really care?
=-=-

Extra Question:

Once I improve my speed a little bit more, I want to start trying to sell REDcards even when not prompted.... If someone want's to, what do I do? Just scan the pamphlet along with their items?

Thanks to all in advance for the help!

They prefer you punch out on time, but I think you have until 5 after for it to be a serious problem.

Your GSTL will soon want you asking nearly every customer if they want a Redcard (I have no idea why the training manual says don't ask if not prompted...must be a joke). If they say yes, simply scan the brochure before you hit the total button.

You will get faster. You will know when it's you slowing your score down and when it's a customer. 87 is yellow. I think it's entirely acceptable for your first day.

Welcome to Spot!

Reactions: B26
I find it helpful to tell guests that the Redcard is a debit card. Doesn't cost them a thing and it will save them 5% every time they shop. (I think most guests assume it is only a credit card) I also add "Hey, what other store gives you 5% off the total bill every time?" Even if they aren't sure, writing your name across the top of the brochure and dropping it in their bag never hurts. I hardly ever cashier, but I get a red card or a promise to sign up after reading the literature almost every time.

Also, the first Redcard I got, I was so stunned after being turned down so much that I realized I didn't have a clue what to do. I guarantee your GSA/GSTL will be thrilled to walk you through the first one or two.

Thank you for the help!

I'm sure I'll be on here tomorrow night with something new to post :)

I had to have co-workers/managers come help me, but not a lot, maybe just 3 or 4 times. I sadly did not sell any REDcards and my speed score was around an 87 (not even my fault, nobody knows how to use a card reader).

Sounds like you did great for being so new! RedCard apps are hard to come by in this economy, but 87 is not bad at all at this point. (And too true about the card readers. :D)

Also, I clocked out 4 minutes after my shift was over. Do managers really care and I will be spoken to or will they not really care?

If you're a cashier, it is very rare that you will punch out exactly on time. There will always be that guest that comes up with an overflowing cart of groceries when you need to go home or start your lunch. I wouldn't worry about it; I can only see HR being concerned if you're punching out very late (well over 5 min after your end time) on a consistent basis.

(I have no idea why the training manual says don't ask if not prompted...must be a joke)

I'll bet anything the training manuals were written before they jacked up the conversion goals 20 times. Though it seems like it would be more "brand," not pestering guests to solicit RedCards. You've probably realized by now how much Spot contradicts itself.

Reactions: B26
Thanks for the reply. Good to know I wasn't horrible for my first day and that the punch card should be no big deal.

I had my light off at 9:25 and was finished with everyone around 9:28. Then, a target EMPLOYEE comes to my EXPRESS line with a giant cart full of items and tells me to please take her... It's my first day and I don't know if she was a manager or anything so I went and checked her out and then quickly cleaned my station.

I shouldn't have any problems clocking out on time in the future.

Also, I'm going to look for a thread on here (if there is one) on experiences. I'd like to share my first day mistakes and stories. :D

Thanks to all for the help.. I'm glad I found this site. I have a feeling that this site will be VERY helpful in my fist few months.

See, as a TM, I am extra careful about respecting a turned off lane light. I don't know what their plan is, so I never assume, even with one item, that it's okay to go through. Now, that doesn't mean I won't try and catch their eye to see, but I would never ask. But maybe I'm just odd? Ha.

Yes, that was the hardest thing for me was figuring out who is who. I still don't know which of our ETLs are responsible for what....but at least I know who they all are, now! It will come....just in time for seasonal help to be hired to throw into the mix.

Yeah, having the seasonal coming in is great for me. In a few months I won't be the new kid anymore lol...

Luckily everyone who works here is very friendly and helpful.

Yeah, having the seasonal coming in is great for me. In a few months I won't be the new kid anymore lol...

Luckily everyone who works here is very friendly and helpful.

Same here! Turns out turnover isn't very high in this store, so I'm the newbie cashier yet going into 60 days. And I'm too new to know if anyone else has been hired in the store lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back