Do any of you fulfillment leads out there have closing shifts?

I walked in today and the Specialty Sales ETL said that the GM ETL left about 1pm and told her that fulfillment should be fine for the 430s.

He told my two people I had assigned to prep and pack to work on other things so when I get there at 230 we have 270 still to pick and 800 to pack for 430.

He called me to check in since he left before I got there and he ask how I felt about fulfillment. I said not good. He said what concerns you the picking or the packing. I said well what is the expectation? He was stupefied by that question.

Needless to say we did not make it. We were close after getting some help from other departments.

I do not know if it is like this at other stores but why does every work center need leadership throughout the day except fulfillment?

I walked in today and the Specialty Sales ETL said that the GM ETL left about 1pm and told her that fulfillment should be fine for the 430s.

He told my two people I had assigned to prep and pack to work on other things so when I get there at 230 we have 270 still to pick and 800 to pack for 430.

He called me to check in since he left before I got there and he ask how I felt about fulfillment. I said not good. He said what concerns you the picking or the packing. I said well what is the expectation? He was stupefied by that question.

Needless to say we did not make it. We were close after getting some help from other departments.

I do not know if it is like this at other stores but why does every work center need leadership throughout the day except fulfillment?
The lead at my store is 8-430 99% of the time. We have a captain that comes in with the 4/6 am team and a closing captain at 4pm to help interface with the rest of the leadership when TL isn't there. Only unfortunate part is as 'captain' we only have marginally more authority than any other TM

Mine does the closing weekend rotation once or twice a month. But we have several TMs who are self sufficient and keep the team going if our lead isn't there.

And I've been in fulfillment long enough that the other leads generally listen when I say we need help and when I can't just be giving away TMs to other departments. They'll listen to my TMs, too, but with less frequency which annoys the flip out of me haha.

Our FOTL has one late mid shift a week (1pm-930pm) which i guess consider closing withoit the closing responsibilities. He is also on the weekend closing rotation.
Your etl doesnt know what he is doing apparently, that is just unreasonable

My store just don’t have any leadership anymore in fact there’s just a lot of tm bodies currently so we never have to worry about deadlines/goals. I see our team just slack off chit chatting or pretend to pick throughout the day

FOTL at my store has a pretty set schedule 8-4:30.Sometimes, he'll come early to let Inbounds in, but he never closes. As long as fulfillment is properly trained it doesn't really need a TL present at all times. My store doesn't have SFS so that probably makes a difference. But, I've been 100% trusted to run the department before the FOTL comes in or when he's off for the day for a couple of years now. Every TL in the building knows I hate asking for help from other departments and I'll send as many people out as possible. Our SD even defers to me. OPUs are much quieter at night for us, so the Closing TL is adequate to keep an eye on it.

Things don't go as smoothly when both me and the FOTL are off. So, we'll see what happens now that I'm out of the department. But, consider mentoring a TM or two so that they can be you when you aren't there and let other leadership know that those TMs have your trust.

FOTL at my store has a pretty set schedule 8-4:30.Sometimes, he'll come early to let Inbounds in, but he never closes. As long as fulfillment is properly trained it doesn't really need a TL present at all times. My store doesn't have SFS so that probably makes a difference. But, I've been 100% trusted to run the department before the FOTL comes in or when he's off for the day for a couple of years now. Every TL in the building knows I hate asking for help from other departments and I'll send as many people out as possible. Our SD even defers to me. OPUs are much quieter at night for us, so the Closing TL is adequate to keep an eye on it.

Things don't go as smoothly when both me and the FOTL are off. So, we'll see what happens now that I'm out of the department. But, consider mentoring a TM or two so that they can be you when you aren't there and let other leadership know that those TMs have your trust.
You're not doing Fulfillment anymore? What department did you transfer too?

You're not doing Fulfillment anymore? What department did you transfer too?

GM. I'm now the small appliances/kitchen DBO. It's a chronically red area for the store that has been called out on visit after visit. In Target speak, I've been given the opportunity to turn it around. I have a plan for that and my ETL and SD support me on that plan. It's going to take awhile though. So much jacked up shit that needs fixing.

GM. I'm now the small appliances/kitchen DBO. It's a chronically red area for the store that has been called out on visit after visit. In Target speak, I've been given the opportunity to turn it around. I have a plan for that and my ETL and SD support me on that plan. It's going to take awhile though. So much jacked up shit that needs fixing.
Nice, congrats!

Cool, best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll be great. You always been knowledgeable here on the site, which I'm sure translates to real life.

Not that you need advice but utilize your end caps as best as possible. Kitchen salesplanners are notoriously light and can be really useful to get product out of the backroom. Make sure your inbound team also sort your HWs repacks itll speed up your day tremendously as well. Good luck.

Not that you need advice but utilize your end caps as best as possible. Kitchen salesplanners are notoriously light and can be really useful to get product out of the backroom. Make sure your inbound team also sort your HWs repacks itll speed up your day tremendously as well. Good luck.

Thanks! Endcaps are priority one. They're always getting called out. I got them mostly good on day one. Unfortunately, I have 2 water bottle endcaps that are pretty spartan and there isn't much in the back that makes sense to go on them that isn't already part of a BTC endcap and not selling well for us at all right now. I'm likely going to ask for permission to consolidate them into 1 and use the other endcap for something else. But, schools start here this week, so I'm waiting to see what my inventory looks when things calm down after the storm.

Sorting the repacks isn't going to happen, but I just throw the pets stuff on a pets vehicle. The chem, paper, and doms stuff is light enough that it doesn't take too much time to put it out.

Thanks! Endcaps are priority one. They're always getting called out. I got them mostly good on day one. Unfortunately, I have 2 water bottle endcaps that are pretty spartan and there isn't much in the back that makes sense to go on them that isn't already part of a BTC endcap and not selling well for us at all right now. I'm likely going to ask for permission to consolidate them into 1 and use the other endcap for something else. But, schools start here this week, so I'm waiting to see what my inventory looks when things calm down after the storm.

Sorting the repacks isn't going to happen, but I just throw the pets stuff on a pets vehicle. The chem, paper, and doms stuff is light enough that it doesn't take too much time to put it out.
Don't forget the spider wrap please.

I have half of my spls in kitchen combined lol, thats a shame about the sorting though it was a pain in the ass to get everyone on board at my store but we sort every repack on the line, hws , domestics, baby. Detrashing and sorting repacks increases productivity 10 fold. Doesnt hurt to ask but we had a ton of pushback at first too so i understand.

I have half of my spls in kitchen combined lol, thats a shame about the sorting though it was a pain in the ass to get everyone on board at my store but we sort every repack on the line, hws , domestics, baby. Detrashing and sorting repacks increases productivity 10 fold. Doesnt hurt to ask but we had a ton of pushback at first too so i understand.

We just can't do the sorting at my store. Most of inbounds are DBOs. We just need them to get stuff unloaded so they can get to their areas. We've been trying to create a true inbounds team for 2 years, but no one stays long enough for that to happen.

Has anyone else been absolutely slammed the last/next few days??
Tax free weekend/week in multiple states are happening right now ours at my store in Texas was christmas busy. We got over 4k in opu fri-sun and like twice as much sfs as normal. We're pretty much out of most school supplies and clothes lmao

Back