Archived Flow Electronics Vent- Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

WailFin

Flow: Electronics, HBA, Home/Stat and Backroom
Don't mind me, been a long day and I need people to potentially coach me in what I'm doing wrong.

2600 piece truck today, kinda short handed. Our flow starts at 4AM for a single truck.

At 4, I'm pushing yesterday's leftover DVD's, 7-8 repacks. Get them all pushed just as the truck is finishing- (5:45) perfect timing in my opinion. I usually only get over to Electronics at 6:30, so I'm getting an earlier start which is great.

I get over there, set everything up, get my security sheet sorted and look at my pallet to figure out what I have. "New" process has me breaking out a little longer than my old process, and I'm not allowed to touch my pallet until all my security stuff is pushed. Unfortunate, but understandable.

8 security repacks, 22 boxes of books, 3 repacks of DVD's and other various non-security repacks.

I manage to break out and push everything (excluding my pallets) before 8, so I'm going good there, and although I haven't been informed to take a half, I ask the STL and he says to go for it, because he knows I have a lot and I don't have any help.

Go for my half, and when I come back my STL has given me the dayside Electronics TM to start helping me push my pallets. Books are my priority because there's so many of them. I was taught to push books by grabbing a stack of them and wandering around the six aisles and push them as I scan them. There may be an easier way, but this is how I was trained and no one - until today- has said different.

My ETL comes over at around 9:30, stops me from continuing my book push to tell me that the system says Electronics push should have only taken 5 hours today, and that we should start breaking out books onto greenracks sorted by aisles to speed up the process.

Also I personally feel like it will take longer, I half brush him off for the current time because I'm really trying to finish pushing everything by my deadline of 12, and he's taking up precious time where I could be pushing things when he could have talked to me while I was breaking out security.

All boxes of books went out - excluding two that were revision- with only the middle shelf of a three tier as backstock.

Do you guys think that all of my stuff could have been pushed in five hours without help, if yes, what's wrong in my process and how can I speed things up? I try to condense things as much as possible while still following the rules AP sets out for me, and things are changing so quickly around here with new faces and new processes, that it's becoming frustrating.

I'm sorry this is all over the place, and if you've made it to the end- I appreciate it.

If you were pushing freight from the previous day obviously that's not going to count into what RWT says about it. Plus you're changing your process for security items, so that's just going to take longer.

But you should be sorting your books before stocking, just grabbing a stack and going for it will take you longer/require more walking. The best way to sort them will really depend on the layout of your store. Also I have no idea what a greenrack is, I'd just use carts.

If you were pushing freight from the previous day obviously that's not going to count into what RWT says about it. Plus you're changing your process for security items, so that's just going to take longer.

But you should be sorting your books before stocking, just grabbing a stack and going for it will take you longer/require more walking. The best way to sort them will really depend on the layout of your store. Also I have no idea what a greenrack is, I'd just use carts.

I used the time they were unloading the truck to push the leftover from yesterday, so that didn't get factored in to the time I started.

Sorting will end up making things faster? That's interesting.

Ours is set up as F35-F42 is children's books, F43 to F50 is dvds, and F50 - F55 is adult books- with four front focal (?) type areas for new releases.

In a perfectly logical world, no, what you described could not be pushed in five hours without help.

In a perfectly logical world, no, what you described could not be pushed in five hours without help.
I second this. Also as stated from others and yourself, you had been pushing residual from a prior shift. With all these factors Against you, there is no possible way your workload could have been completed in the allotted time Without any others assisting you. Better tell that "Leader" to double check that "RTW" sheet again!!

When you are printing the security list, grab the flow team summary and the detailed list (just the electronics portion; highlight the general area its in in the list, click Print and choose Selection Only) from RWT too. That way you can see how many eaches you're expecting in total from each department, exactly how much of it is push, and how long the system thinks it should take.

22 boxes of books is what, 1100-1200 books? That should take roughly 3 hours, if not a little more. Grabbing a stack and going really is the most efficient way. Any sorting you could be doing is the time it would have taken to weave between the aisles. Doing that should put you right at what the timeline says for books, if not a little under. It always did for me. Same for DVDs (minus casing.)

There is no way you are going to push to the time table for electronics. It does not take merchandise protection, any sorting into other repacks/carts based on aisle/location, or pushing from a cart instead of pushing from bowled-out product into account.

And batteries. Plus pushing from other shifts?

Nope. Not happening.

My STL/ETL/TL had the understanding that everything (batteries included) would be done. Maybe not in the time table the system gave, but within an amount of time that it would not be my whole day. I hope yours can get to that point too.

Study your area, especially books and dvds. Scanning each item will take you too long, you've got to know right where things are in order to make yourself quick. With that many repacks of books....that may be your only option at improving your speed there...oh and when you breakout security maybe try organizing by DPCI more efficiently instead of throwing the stuff into the carts. It will help. Good luck, keep trying and you shall succeed. No question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back