Archived FMLA questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in California. I am 3 months pregnant and I've been told from no Target doesn't offer anything to Target offers FMLA and I haven't found anything on the website of Target to explain what they do and don't do. Do I get paid? Do I not get paid? Apply for short- term disability? I have no idea. This is my first child. I haven't talked to HR yet cus I just reached the 12 week mark. My Instocks TL doesn't know. I don't want him to know. My gut tells me I will get MORE hours cut than there already has been. Went from 33 down to 20 even to 16. It's not worth finding another job when I'm going to be "usable" for 4-5 more months and then not working. Any help would be great. My husband and I both work for Target with shitty hours. If I'm not getting paid then we are moving in with my parents. Please help!!

Not sure...but the FMLA would apply to you for sure.

There should be a GREAT BIG poster somewhere up at TSC, near the breakroom or in the breakroom that displays employee rights in the workplace. This is the GIANT size poster that takes up nearly half a wall and shows the minimum wage in big bold numbers at the top.

First off, congratulations! This is way cool!

You're sort of screwed. Yes, Target will honor the FMLA and allow you to take up to 12 weeks off. No, you won't be paid for any of it beyond whatever vacation and personal hours you have.

If you look for a new job, you will not qualify because you have to have worked for the employee for a year and have 1,250 hours in the last year. Which means a new employer could easily be a jerk and not hold your job upon the birth of your child.

Talk to your hr without delay. Hours are cut back during 1st qtr till march. I hope you are not seasonal.

It just seemed natural to give TMs time off for pregnancy/newborn care. They just went on LOA and came back when they needed the income. But paid leave? This is America - not so lucky. You can take vacation days if you have them. Not sure if TMs get short term disability. I think hourly TMs have to accrue so many hours to qualify plus it's only a percentage of your pay, not 100%.

I know our TMs weren't getting paid during their time off. Target only held the position.

Just confirming everything that's already been posted. Yes, you can take a leave of absence covered under FMLA of up to six months, effective whatever day you choose. Unfortunately, you will not be paid for your maternity leave. Like Mhugh220 said, use your vacation hours that you've accrued, that's essentially the only avenue you have.

You are in CA, on you check stub do you have a deduction for SDI? That is short term disability thru the. State.

When I had my kids there it paid 2 weeks prior to your due date, then 4 weeks for a vaginal delivery, 6 for c-section. My doctor handled the paperwork (he could make it 4 weeks prior if he felt it was required medically). This is not your full income, but a percentage. It should be online to help you figure it out these days. If you had maternity leave paid, they would adjust it so that it might last further (my SIL just did that last summer). You can still use FMLA to extend the time you are off, but it won't be paid.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/

Yet another CA labor thing to miss here in FL!

And, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

(ETA: it looks like they have changed it to 6 weeks period, and it is aprox 55% of your income, determined by a set quarter system. While not great, it is better than nothing!!)

Last edited:
I don't think you are going to qualify for FMLA. To be an eligible employee:
  • (2) ELIGIBLE EMPLOYEE.--
    • (A) IN GENERAL.--The term "eligible employee" means an employee who has been employed
      • (i) for at least 12 months by the employer with respect to whom leave is requested under section 102; and
      • (ii) for at least 1,250 hours of service with such employer during the previous 12-month period.
So even if you have worked for Target a total of 12 months these do not have to be consecutive but you do have to have the 1250 hours in the previous 12 months, it would not entitle you to any kind of paid leave, it would just mean you would have your job back when your FMLA leave is up. You may be eligible for short term disability but only if you have short term disability coverage.

I just wanted let the op know... If she calls the target fmla people, they will be the most helpful people and can let her know state/hrs/eligibility. If you call and the person isn't, hang up and try again. Ask lots of questions. I had issues with my hr, and they set things straight and told me exactly what I needed to do. Also, maternity leave is up to 12 weeks, but (unless it's changed since November) target gives you an additional 4 weeks for bonding--so 16 weeks total unpaid. They do not have to hold your exact position---just one on the same pay grade. Also, if the company shuts down or makes positional changes company wide, you aren't protected. You can call gala folks without giving your info and just chat about it.

You may be eligible for short term disability but only if you have short term disability coverage.
The majority of people in California have BASIC short term disability, it is mandatory and a state run program. State government employees have a version, and there might be some employers that are not in the program now (I'm not working in an HR office in CA like I was since I'm in FL now).

It is basic, but it is at least more than people in most states have. It was a huge blessing when I had my kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back