Archived Fragile Items

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I will get this out of the way, this is my first post(unless my memory is failing me, which would be quite normal) but I have lurked for a long time, both on the old forums and new. Anyways, I have been cashiering occasionally, and I was wondering if it would be looked down upon if I tell guests that it wouldn't be a bad idea to (after they have paid) open up a box and check the item inside? I unload trailer so I know how beat up some of the boxes get, between short staffing at DCs, team members who unload not caring, as well as being half asleep, and people bowling out freight throwing boxes all the way down an aisle. I have handled a few boxes in the checkout where as soon as I pick up the box (it was a box of wine glasses in one case) I could hear that the item was practically dust, and in those situations I have informed the guest of what I suspected and that they should probably inspect the item, and if it turns out to be broken, that they can go up to Guest Services who will help them from there. However, I know how important it is to some TLs that you remain "Brand" (God forbid that you aren't a robot programmed by Target) so I just want to see what others have to say before I talk to my GSTL about it. Thanks in advance!

If I noticed something dinged/broken/smudged, I'll point it out to the guest so they can either request another one, decline the item for purchase or see if they want a discount (if it's the last one). It's better than them bringing it back a few days later to the service desk all beat up, wondering if they bought it that way or not.

i try not to "bowl" out fragile items, but every now and then i HURL a box with all my might and it does make a satisfying smash :thumbsup:

I get immense satisfaction out of grenade-ing defective glass jars (jelly, olives, etc.) into the compactor.

i try not to "bowl" out fragile items, but every now and then i HURL a box with all my might and it does make a satisfying smash :thumbsup:

Or when you work in the backroom for autofills and then dropped the box from the top of the ladder. Yea!!!

Try a grill in compactor. I was telling my etl, we can sell it with a discount!
On op question, if you shake it by scanning it & hear broken glass, tell the guest & dont give it to them, i am sorry due to damage product. Safety first on glass!

Last edited:
Guest loyalty is huge at Target. If the guest goes all the way home and finds that the thing is broken and has to drive back, they are going to be pissed.

No Team Lead I know would yell at you for driving guest loyalty, so I would say you are okay to warn guest about certain items. I wouldn't say its because Target "bowls" the aisles though. Haha.

I did have a couple (wedding registry) who brought in a box they'd gotten from target.com. It was a set of glassware &, when they set it on the counter, you heard tinkling & a sound like sand. Keeping a straight face, I asked "Was there something wrong with it?" The guy looked stunned then cracked up. I got it on a gift card for them pretty quick.

Try a grill in compactor. I was telling my etl, we can sell it with a discount!
On op question, if you shake it by scanning it & hear broken glass, tell the guest & dont give it to them, i am sorry due to damage product. Safety first on glass!

I compacted a grill that was returned for missing parts, but all assembled! What a pleasing sound it made...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back