Archived Freezer Coats Decontamination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowmotion

Presentation TM
So in the 6 months I've been employed. I don't think our freezer or cooler coats have been cleaned in any way. The other day I took one off after pulling some Pog Fills, my skin felt sticky and I got a mild rash. Is this the norm?

Also, do I really need to by a ski mask or balaclava, gloves, and a extra hoodie to stay warm when working pulls and backstock in there? Our coats have broken zippers and all don't have hoods attached. The cooler coats run a bit small as well, but that's just being petty.

I've bought insulated work gloves before. I did work the FDC truck freezers for a bit, but some jerk stole my mitts or misplaced them, never to be seen again. :(

You can ask for the gear you need to be requisitioned for you and with the winter gear going into clearance it should be pretty cheap.

At our store they even put aside ones for each person who regularly worked the freezer.

With as many layers as I wear in the back room during the winter, those disgusting coats hardly touch my skin. I've been there about a year and they haven't been cleaned. I can usually tell who was the last person to wear the coat from the smell that permeates through it.

I try not to spend too much time in the freezers at a time. If there are three carts of backstock, I'll do one cart, then go backstock another cooler/work on the truck line until I thaw out. Then go back for the second cart, and so on. That way I'm only in there 5-10 minutes at a time rather than a full 30 (or longer). If I have no choice but to be in there for an extended time, I keep the heavy insulated gloves (which are not PDA friendly) and a beanie/face mask in my bag. I rarely need them, but they're there if I do.

Our store has like one guy who does freezer on a regular basis. He got's his own gear. Funny thing is he wears a ski mask that looks like Jason Voorhees' Hockey mask. :)

I, on the other hand, am asked to work freezer pulls because I am the only man on Plano and my female TMs say they can't handle the cold as much. :rolleyes:

We got lockers next to the freezers. I'm thinking of making one of those a "Plano Only" locker, so I can store some extra gear. Sometimes, the ladies have to go in the freezers themselves if I'm not available. They can at least store some gloves there too.

We get a new supply of gloves every so often (three times since I've been there...so really not that often) and they seem to disappear overnight. (I put a heavy emphasis on OVERNIGHT).

I was handed a pair 8-9 months ago, and never lost track of that pair. I just imagine someone grabs a few pairs and takes them for themselves/family members/they lose them and take another pair.

Yeah, I've seen how other people act when going in the freezers. They open the coat locker, grab a one that fits and then scrounge around for gloves and take whatever is there in the lockers like it was bought by Target for general use. Our FDC crew leaves there gear in those lockers instead of packing it back and forth everyday.

We get a new supply of gloves every so often (three times since I've been there...so really not that often) and they seem to disappear overnight. (I put a heavy emphasis on OVERNIGHT).

I was handed a pair 8-9 months ago, and never lost track of that pair. I just imagine someone grabs a few pairs and takes them for themselves/family members/they lose them and take another pair.
Ours disappear as well...cause the flow team steals them to wear while pushing freight...I wont even comment on that one .

Our store has like one guy who does freezer on a regular basis. He got's his own gear. Funny thing is he wears a ski mask that looks like Jason Voorhees' Hockey mask. :)

I, on the other hand, am asked to work freezer pulls because I am the only man on Plano and my female TMs say they can't handle the cold as much. :rolleyes:

We got lockers next to the freezers. I'm thinking of making one of those a "Plano Only" locker, so I can store some extra gear. Sometimes, the ladies have to go in the freezers themselves if I'm not available. They can at least store some gloves there too.
I would go for Plano only locker.

At my store, my srtl would make sure coats, hats & gloves are cleaned or washed, at least once a month. If need to do a replacement, it's done too.

So in the 6 months I've been employed. I don't think our freezer or cooler coats have been cleaned in any way. The other day I took one off after pulling some Pog Fills, my skin felt sticky and I got a mild rash. Is this the norm?

Also, do I really need to by a ski mask or balaclava, gloves, and a extra hoodie to stay warm when working pulls and backstock in there? Our coats have broken zippers and all don't have hoods attached. The cooler coats run a bit small as well, but that's just being petty.

I've bought insulated work gloves before. I did work the FDC truck freezers for a bit, but some jerk stole my mitts or misplaced them, never to be seen again. :(
I think our coats have been cleaned once in maybe eight years and that one cleaning was done maybe 6 years ago. The coats smell to high heaven..so I usually just use my own personal coat. The coats are not even coats they are more like jackets so they dont really work that well in the freezer. The gloves, we get them in and the flow team takes them...I do have a pair hidden so far no one has found my spot. Of course some days I cant even remember where I hid them myself :)

Last edited:
The sad thing is that they have a budget for it :( been at my Store for a little bit over two years and they have never been washed!

Have any of you guys said "hey ETLs can we get these jackets cleaned?" That was all it took at my store.. Seriously everyone thought someone else was taking care of it.. HR for us makes sure it happens once a month now..

Ours were done a couple years ago. Took almost a month to get them back though.

Tell your leader you want your own equipment for cooler/freezer for OSHA reasons. It can be ordered.

Last edited:
I would never wear coats or gloves that other people regularly wear...as soon as I changed to backroom, I bought my own and hide them. Everyone knows not to touch them.

The cart attendants at my former Super used to get the hand me down coats from Market. Now thats disgusting. When it got cold enough, I brought my own coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back