Fulfillment being phased out?

Instead of holding gm accountable for their work, they want Flex experts to cover their asses since they know we work harder. That seems to be the bottom line here, as i see it.

At least, thats what would happen at my store if they try this.

It's not always about holding an area accountable, though it is most definitely Target's way of fixing things to just put a bandaid over it and call it good. Depending on the area of GM and the time of year, it can be incredibly difficult to accomplish all the tasks, all the time. Even for the people who work their asses off.

I mean, I get it. I understand why they're doing this. Outside of Q4, there's no need to have a dozen or so TMs in fulfillment since the orders aren't going to drop as nearly as heavily as they did before. They would rather have more GM and F&B Experts that can do more for the company than keep Fulfillment Experts around and throw them in those areas when they aren't busy. It makes a lot of sense on paper.
I would argue that we are still as busy as we were during christmas, at least at my store, we still are doing 2000-4000 opu units each day with now more sfs because we were such a heavy opu store during q4. Our fulfilled sales are at least 20k each day and thats only like 10% of our total sales, and our pick on time is rarely green anymore. They give us like 8 people on the weekends and our pick on time is 30%. We may not need to have more people than gm anymore because there aren't a bunch of slow seasonals running around but we need more than 6 people to not struggle everyday.

I would argue that we are still as busy as we were during christmas, at least at my store, we still are doing 2000-4000 opu units each day with now more sfs because we were such a heavy opu store during q4. Our fulfilled sales are at least 20k each day and thats only like 10% of our total sales, and our pick on time is rarely green anymore. They give us like 8 people on the weekends and our pick on time is 30%. We may not need to have more people than gm anymore because there aren't a bunch of slow seasonals running around but we need more than 6 people to not struggle everyday.

They (and I) understand that fulfillment workload is still pretty heavy (especially in OPU-focused stores since there's no way to equally distribute orders), but the problem is rather than make sure fulfillment is properly staffed to handle it on most days and then have those TMs help out in other areas when it isn't, they want to cut fulfillment and instead increase staffing for GM and integrate flex into the existing workload.

Except GM can't complete the existing workload and the increase in staffing doesn't mean anything under Jan - Feb payroll.. which probably won't get any better until Q3. At my store, the originally allocated hours in March of last year were just as bad as they were in January. COVID-19 is the only reason most stores saw a massive increase in hours (and overtime) during that time, and that won't be the case this year.

This could be something that works for stores that do less in sales, because opu heavy stores have more foot traffic and trying to lob fulfillment in with each work center won't work at a store like mine that does 140k on a slow day without increases in payroll

Do we have any official word on this? @Hardlinesmaster @allnew2 I'd love some actual details, such as is ePick going to change to make it possible for DBOs to pick their own areas and only their own areas? Who does RTS? Who does STS? Who is responsible for maintaining the OPU hold area? Who is responsible for cleaning and replenishing SFS supplies? Are forecasts going to change such that it will be possible to properly allocate hours between departments to account for the extra work, i.e., we forecast 150 style units on a given day so they get another 5 hours of payroll and we anticipate 1500 F&B units on the same day so they get another 50 hours of payroll, while we're only expecting 30 items in Beauty so just toss them a half an hour? Or is it just going to be left up to SDs to somehow distribute "fairly?"

Do we have any official word on this? @Hardlinesmaster @allnew2 I'd love some actual details, such as is ePick going to change to make it possible for DBOs to pick their own areas and only their own areas? Who does RTS? Who does STS? Who is responsible for maintaining the OPU hold area? Who is responsible for cleaning and replenishing SFS supplies? Are forecasts going to change such that it will be possible to properly allocate hours between departments to account for the extra work, i.e., we forecast 150 style units on a given day so they get another 5 hours of payroll and we anticipate 1500 F&B units on the same day so they get another 50 hours of payroll, while we're only expecting 30 items in Beauty so just toss them a half an hour? Or is it just going to be left up to SDs to somehow distribute "fairly?"
I have not heard anything not even as a gossip. I don’t know how that would be possible to be honest especially in my little store would not be fisible even if you distribute the hours to gm with everything that they have to do that’s the last thing they would need.

Instead of holding gm accountable for their work, they want Flex experts to cover their asses since they know we work harder. That seems to be the bottom line here, as i see it.

:rolleyes:

There are about 2 rockstars on SFS in my store. That's it. And they have no idea how much shit a good GM DBO has to put up with and handle within a 4 hour shift. I know those two SFS tms are amazing, though.

Most of our SFS tms are coasting. I can see it in the stats. I can see it when I am blowing away their stats, and picking at almost double their speed while I maintain green INFs.

Whelp. I am even more screwed if that's the case.

Please stop with the "we work harder". No, you don't. You work differently. Your expectations are different. They are different jobs. If you haven't worked in GM, you sincerely do not know what their work entails, what their routines are, or what the expectations are. The bottom line is that hours across the store are cut and those doing the scheduling are trying to figure out a way to best get the work done with those who are best able to get it done. Most, not all, but most flex tm's are not trained to do the other gm work such as pog sets, backstocking, price change, defects, etc. nop flex with store ties, so they will use tm's that are more global in their training because picking batches is very similar than pulling a batch and an easily transferred skill. Also, gm picking flex does not reflect in any way flex experts covering anyone's ass. Anyone who picks a flex will be documented in the same way so accountability is present.

I think this is going to be another discretion up to each Group/District/Director just like everything else in modernization has been.
Each store I’ve been at has been different in terms of who owns what, how things are ran, what expectations are. Even now I think GM presentation is setting cosmetics so what’s the whole point of having beauty team members and end to end workload? It’ll be interesting to see all this play out. Just saw a commercial for spot - “Team work that works” Target has never been more far away from the term team than ever IMO. So much disconnect and no communication.

Most, not all, but most flex tm's are not trained to do the other gm work such as pog sets, backstocking, price change, defects, etc.
Eh, that's asants. All my flex TMs are taught all of this (besides, perhaps, pog), as we do GM work when fulfillment is slow. I personally teach all of them to defect, pull, and backstock as part of regular flex training because they're often skills we need day to day as well.

Also, picking a batch might be similar to regular GM tasks but it's a lot harder to find things that aren't located (properly). That's a skill that's hard learned and developed over time by any flex TM worth their hours.

I think this is going to be another discretion up to each Group/District/Director just like everything else in modernization has been.
Each store I’ve been at has been different in terms of who owns what, how things are ran, what expectations are. Even now I think GM presentation is setting cosmetics so what’s the whole point of having beauty team members and end to end workload?
Agreed! And same for my store with presentation doing the reset for beauty right now haha. It's all dependent on leadership, store and district, to interpret whatever the heck corporate is spouting.

Only thing I’ve seen was this from the Q1 overview - Structure changes will be implemented in a phased and adjusted approach starting in Q1 with additional Fulfillment and HR leadership support. Broader structures changes will take place in late Q2 based on 2020 sales performance and future sales projections. Look for more information starting in February. - if you’re on a workstation, try searching in Sharepoint, loads more information on there than shown on just workbench.

Only thing I’ve seen was this from the Q1 overview - Structure changes will be implemented in a phased and adjusted approach starting in Q1 with additional Fulfillment and HR leadership support. Broader structures changes will take place in late Q2 based on 2020 sales performance and future sales projections. Look for more information starting in February. - if you’re on a workstation, try searching in Sharepoint, loads more information on there than shown on just workbench.
What is the HR leadership support?

Agreed! And same for my store with presentation doing the reset for beauty right now haha.
Again you have no idea the moves and workload that needs to be done for cosmetics/skincare transition . Beauty couldn’t do it on their own even if there were 2 people or3 . Especially if they don’t know how to strategize what to set and utilizing the map. One thing is to do revision and salesplaners. And totally different for a transition when the department definitely needs support.

Again you have no idea the moves and workload that needs to be done for cosmetics/skincare transition . Beauty couldn’t do it on their own even if there were 2 people or3 . Especially if they don’t know how to strategize what to set and utilizing the map. One thing is to do revision and salesplaners. And totally different for a transition when the department definitely needs support.
I know. The point of the comment was that corporate shoves duties on dbos without the bigger picture in place. Resets need a larger team, and our beauty TMs are being given that at the expense of other freight being worked. No one, least of all me, is saying beauty can or should do it alone. But since plano was absorbed into GM...kinda like they want flex to be seemingly...it's not so cut and dry between corporate policy and actual implementation.

You do realize that the workload for that transition is about 205h right? I would like to see you do it without help. You can only work so much ahead and you would still fall behind.
Yes I do and I’m not disagreeing - I’m stating from what our OD stated and what stores in my area have been doing for a while, that SS/VML/Consultants should be responsible for the 150h set, yet The SD at my particular store wanted GM DBOs to handle transitions when they couldn’t even finish their normal duty of unloading and finishing a truck and resorted to GM and having a “plano” team again. Pretty sure the toys workload last week is incomplete and yet we must continue to push forward. EDIT:*their exact wording was Specialty Team/Consultants/VML Required to do set*

and by the OD’s mentality of SS setting that in my mind means SS should have TMs in the three respective SS areas (style, tech, and beauty) all cross trained in between.

Last edited:
As a former plano Sr (a very good one, to toot my own horn), I can definitely confirm beauty is the absolute heaviest work you will do.

I shaved hours in the preceding three weeks (one person/night) to bank for the beauty set and just scheduled a literal boatload of people. Three per aisle side per night. There's no other way to get it done effectively without just throwing shitloads of hours at it. It's such a labor intensive set that any mis-step will shaft you. I would rather suffer minimally for three weeks on easier workload and smash the beauty set than risk getting screwed on a bad night of beauty, because the amount of shifting that happens generally makes it so you have to do it in a specific order, or you end up with a huge mess.

Back