Archived funeral pay/leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
on ehr, you get up to 3 days depending on the location of the funeral. is target allowed to ask and insinuate about the deceased's importance within the family?

i had a family member passed away very suddenly. he was diagnosed with an illness less than a week ago, and passed away in the early am. the funeral and visitation is tomorrow from 10-1. i want to take the day off so i can be with my family and help my parents get everything ready for our out of town family members flying in. since im 4am, it was insinuated (sp) that i should suck it up and work my shift and leave early. then i got questioned about who it was that passed, why, where the event was taking place, what time i would be finished, did i really need to take off, etc. although i find it extremely rude to do anything other than offer condolences, i was wondering if anyone else got the 3rd degree in these situations? my hr even said that technically since the funeral didnt occur during my entire shift (im scheduled 4-12) that i could not get funeral pay if i left early and it would count against my attendance. i dont really care about the pay, but i dont want to get coached.

I used it once when my grandfather passed. I was only scheduled to work the day before the funeral and had to drive 8 hours to my grandfather's town, stayed one night and returned home immediately after the funeral. I got questioned by the ETL and HR on who died, what city it was in, and what shifts would be affected.

My HR at the time was not too bright so my info might be off. I was told if the funeral is more than 100 miles away from your store, and you are scheduled to work either the day before, the day of, or the day after the funeral arrangements, you are then eligible to receive bereavement leave. It can only be used once a year and for blood relatives.

It only covers the shifts that you are scheduled to work.

I had to write out a leave slip and make a notation on it for bereavement.

Last edited:
You're ETL is so lucky you don't have to sit shiva like I would.
Shiva is the week-long mourning period in Judaism for first-degree relatives: father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, and spouse. The ritual is referred to as "sitting shiva." Immediately after burial, first-degree relatives assume the halakhic status of "avel" (Hebrew: אבל ; "mourner"). This state lasts for seven days, during which family members traditionally gather in one home (preferably the home of the deceased) and receive visitors. At the funeral, mourners traditionally rend an outer garment, a ritual known as keriah. This garment is worn throughout shiva.
So basically my thought is screw, them.
The only people you owe anything to is your family.
They need your support and help right now, Target can get along without you and a coaching is the least of your worries.
The ETL has the right to basic information, they don't have the right to pressure you or grill you.
If he/she has the total lack of class to push this I would complain up the line.

My deepest condolences.

I'm with commiecorvus on this one. How can your ETL have that much lack of respect for you. Basically it would be the same as saying "hmmm... well it was only your second cousin who died, I don't really see why you would need to attend their funeral, you were probably not even that close to them". If that was an actual conversation that an ETL would have with someone, I would head for the time clock, clock out, and never come back. And yes the coaching would be the least of your worries. I sometimes find that you have to be assertive with people in order for them to respect you in the workplace, otherwise they will think you are a pushover. I have had to do that with by ETL-LOG when he asked me to stay late, usually I will , but if I have plans, I will just say "sorry I can't because I have a prior commitment" then he would usually say "well how about 10:30", my response "how about we leave it at 9:30 and call it a night", no more conversation was needed after that lol.

Show them the obit as proof. Then do a leave request in ehr for documentation purposes. Talk to your etl-hr or stl, if your etl says no.

on ehr, you get up to 3 days depending on the location of the funeral. is target allowed to ask and insinuate about the deceased's importance within the family?

i had a family member passed away very suddenly. he was diagnosed with an illness less than a week ago, and passed away in the early am. the funeral and visitation is tomorrow from 10-1. i want to take the day off so i can be with my family and help my parents get everything ready for our out of town family members flying in. since im 4am, it was insinuated (sp) that i should suck it up and work my shift and leave early. then i got questioned about who it was that passed, why, where the event was taking place, what time i would be finished, did i really need to take off, etc. although i find it extremely rude to do anything other than offer condolences, i was wondering if anyone else got the 3rd degree in these situations? my hr even said that technically since the funeral didnt occur during my entire shift (im scheduled 4-12) that i could not get funeral pay if i left early and it would count against my attendance. i dont really care about the pay, but i dont want to get coached.

Don't do this, but if I had gotten this type of "grilling" over a death in my family, I would have called the hotline and reported it. I would have worked a 4-8am shift however. Surely with all of the seasonal help they have hired this season, someone could have covered your shift. Sometimes I think that ETL's like to screw with team members just because they are miserable in their positions.

Annie, got your ears on?
My condolences for your loss, dek, AND for having a socially-impaired leader.

The grilling was wholly unnecessary. If you want you could report it but depending on your STL and store management as a whole it may not be a good idea. Same thing goes for the hotline...that stuff does come back down and they will know it's you because the situation is so specific. They won't be able to get you in trouble for that but management will get you for little things instead if they don't like you.

Anyway, this is how I (and the rest of the HR team, ETLs, STL, etc) handle this at my store. First, we take a copy of your schedule for the amount of time you plan to be out because of the wake, funeral, etc. We print that out. We then tell you not to worry about those shifts and that we will work on filling them, which a HRTM like me is made responsible for. I usually can get them covered (people are always in need of hours so it seems). Depending on your relation to the deceased you will receive some form of funeral pay, regardless of whether or not the funeral's time is occurring during that shift, since the death prevents you from coming into work, obviously. However Target does list which relatives are eligible for this funeral pay and it's a good idea to check EHR for that information since not all relatives are eligible. When we determine if you are eligible, we will then code your shifts as Funeral Pay, up to what you are eligible for. Hope this helps.

My condolences as well. Your family is the most important thing right now. I tell you what, life happens, and death happens. I have always been told that no matter what, the building will still open tomorrow, and the next day as well.

Your Hr should have said, "Sorry for your loss, anything we can do?" The reason they sometimes ask about the relationship is to send flowers if its a close family member, not to be nosy.

I hope things get better for you and your family - take care!

Target: We have to be Cruel AND Heartless because we are a team of one.

The grilling was wholly unnecessary. If you want you could report it but depending on your STL and store management as a whole it may not be a good idea. Same thing goes for the hotline...that stuff does come back down and they will know it's you because the situation is so specific. They won't be able to get you in trouble for that but management will get you for little things instead if they don't like you.

Anyway, this is how I (and the rest of the HR team, ETLs, STL, etc) handle this at my store. First, we take a copy of your schedule for the amount of time you plan to be out because of the wake, funeral, etc. We print that out. We then tell you not to worry about those shifts and that we will work on filling them, which a HRTM like me is made responsible for. I usually can get them covered (people are always in need of hours so it seems). Depending on your relation to the deceased you will receive some form of funeral pay, regardless of whether or not the funeral's time is occurring during that shift, since the death prevents you from coming into work, obviously. However Target does list which relatives are eligible for this funeral pay and it's a good idea to check EHR for that information since not all relatives are eligible. When we determine if you are eligible, we will then code your shifts as Funeral Pay, up to what you are eligible for. Hope this helps.

this too - thanks softlines!

My condolences as well. Your family is the most important thing right now. I tell you what, life happens, and death happens. I have always been told that no matter what, the building will still open tomorrow, and the next day as well.

Your Hr should have said, "Sorry for your loss, anything we can do?" The reason they sometimes ask about the relationship is to send flowers if its a close family member, not to be nosy.

I hope things get better for you and your family - take care!

Thanks Annie,

You are part of the what keeps Target from being just another retail hell.

I am sorry for your loss and for you being treated like that,I would like to think that it was an uncaring and inexperienced leader and not Target policy.I have used this leave a number of times during my time at Target and never had the slightest problem.Most of mine were out of town so I received a week off in each case.I was never asked for any proof but in each time I provided it on my return to work.I hold Target in high regard on this issue in spite of the many other problems that we have.

Dek, sorry for your loss.
Gtc to Annie & softlines own my soul for being here for us, when we need it most!

We will all keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. also, isn't it still three day in state 5 days out of state? I know it used to be that. We lost a close friend/family a few months back too. My store is less rigid for that type of thing. I lost my father in-law a couple years ago. All i had to do was let HR-clerical know, and she did everything. No grilling, no nothing. not fair to you, to put you thru that. You are already hurting and your mind not working right. You also have to remember most of the etl's (at least that i have every worked with are 22-25 years old) probably haven't had to deal with too many if any deaths in their own family because they are all so young. This is new to them. so they grill some better then others.

Last edited:
It's not JUST "blood" relatives...my husband's grandmother recently passed and I got paid for my scheduled shifts. I believe it is parents, siblings, grandparents, & in-law equivalents. You have to have an average of at least 20 hrs. and the only thing the distance had to do with it was whether or not I got extra days other than the visitation & funeral.

yeah.. i talked to my clerical yesterday and told her what happened... no one had relayed the message. she shared condolences and fixed my pay right away, and made a note on my attendance. she is so classy. i don't understand why our etl-hr can't be as approachable. lord knows the clerical already does his job, all he does is walk around all ***************y.

sorry, dont mean to sound like a grouch. it's been a good work week otherwise. only nine days left until transition madness!

You just had a family member die on you and you had to fight for your right to get paid.

Being a grouch on this board is the last thing you have to worry about.

/You are in my thoughts/prayers.

Glad your Clerical looked after you,and got the right thing done,as for being a grouch,target had an insane ability to bring out the inner grouch in all of us,I wish you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back