Archived Funny stories about Guest Theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my old store, we had a guest attempt to steal a TV from Electronics. He had the enormous, heavy, TV in his arms as the waddled towards the doors. Since TV's are brought to the front by Electronic TM's, the two GSA's on duty immediately knew what was up.
My first GSA shouted at the guy, asking if he was going to pay for that. Upon hearing that, the struggling guest started waddling faster towards the doors. The second GSA called for an AP as they ran after the guy screaming "DON'T TOUCH HIM! DON'T TOUCH HIM! GET A DESCRIPTION AND A LICENSE PLATE!!"
All the other cashiers as well as myself had stopped what they were doing to gawk at the strange sight. Our guests didn't seem to mind the hold-up either as it was the most entertaining thing to ever hit our store.

As the thieving guest made it out the doors, he managed to drop the TV. His car was parked directly outside, and apparently he was his own getaway driver. *facepalm*
So he hopped in his car as the two GSA's and a cart attendant jotted down his license plate number and a description. He of course got away, but we'll never forget the 'newbie' thief. Lol

This was back when we first opened 6 yrs ago: I was cashiering on the gm side when all of a sudden this guy runs past me with our undercover guy in persuit. He had tried to walk out the door with a hand basket full of cd's and dvd's. He dropped the basket by the gm doors. Went running past the lanes (all 20 some odd) towards the grocery side. By the grocery doors he stopped and took a swing at the undercover guy. Then ran out the door. His getaway driver was parked at the gm doors. The next day at the morning huddle our etl-ap was talking about it and said they would have no trouble finding him. Apparently, he dropped his wallet with his id when he tried to punch the undercover.

A few yrs back one weekday morning (when there's mostly moms & tots in the store), a guest was purchasing a game system & the cashier had just taken off the spiderwrap. A young-ish guy runs by, snatches it & goes barreling toward the other door. He'd have gotten away if he hadn't run full-tilt into the off-duty cop (still in uniform, coming off an overnight shift to shop).
Talk about timing.

We had a guest who was trying to steal 2 TV's & DVD player. He was trying to go out the doors on the other side of electronics after we had closed. A tm in sl, notice it & reported to me at the green doors. I was there at the doors, he saw me. then he tried go to the other doors, ap was waiting there. Just cross the line, ap was saying on the walkie. I laughed, i am here & no way, without a receipt. The guest left with nothing.
The real funny part was, he had a full cast on his arm. Way to funny!

A few yrs back one weekday morning (when there's mostly moms & tots in the store), a guest was purchasing a game system & the cashier had just taken off the spiderwrap. A young-ish guy runs by, snatches it & goes barreling toward the other door. He'd have gotten away if he hadn't run full-tilt into the off-duty cop (still in uniform, coming off an overnight shift to shop).
Talk about timing.

In gamer vernacular, he got "owned hardcore"

At my store (which is an antique of a Target) a few months ago, we had a guy who was trying to steal tv's for much of the week. A neighboring grocery store even called us one night and said one of our carts was in their parking lot. One night (a Thursday or Friday, definitely before ad takedown), he cut a spiderwrap and left it in our domestics dept. I and some softlines TMs met there and got the wrap while a fellow hardlines TM met the guy at the door and just glared at him. The guy basically knew the whole store was on to him (that's probably the most any of us wished we could confront shoplifters) and abandoned the cart he was using to carry the tv. Since then, our electronics department has told guest service and the rest of the front end when a tv is going to the front of the store and if it has been paid for or not.

Since then, our electronics department has told guest service and the rest of the front end when a tv is going to the front of the store and if it has been paid for or not.

That's definitely a good practice to get going. Our Electronics TMs call out just about every purchase they ring up (we're fairly low volume, so it's not a huge amount), just to keep everyone aware.

At my store (which is an antique of a Target) a few months ago, we had a guy who was trying to steal tv's for much of the week. A neighboring grocery store even called us one night and said one of our carts was in their parking lot. One night (a Thursday or Friday, definitely before ad takedown), he cut a spiderwrap and left it in our domestics dept. I and some softlines TMs met there and got the wrap while a fellow hardlines TM met the guy at the door and just glared at him. The guy basically knew the whole store was on to him (that's probably the most any of us wished we could confront shoplifters) and abandoned the cart he was using to carry the tv. Since then, our electronics department has told guest service and the rest of the front end when a tv is going to the front of the store and if it has been paid for or not.

To my knowledge that is best practice to announce anyway.

15680644_BG2.jpg

15680644_BG3.jpg

15680644_BG5.jpg

She was smart enough to leave her purse and kid in her shopping cart...

If this had been my store, I would have had backup waiting outside for her...

Last edited:
That's definitely a good practice to get going. Our Electronics TMs call out just about every purchase they ring up (we're fairly low volume, so it's not a huge amount), just to keep everyone aware.

To my knowledge that is best practice to announce anyway.

I guess my store does follow best practice in at least one way after all! Our Electronics TMs announce to Hardlines 4 when a guest is coming with a TV and that it's paid for.

Our TMs usually call it out to the front end, but it's on the main channel anyway, so everyone can hear it.

Best thing that ever happened to me was when I was covering the electronics boat and a guest tried to purchase a game and about 200$ worth of clothes. The check was denied so we put the bags behind the counter for reshop. Being towards the holidays I had to go help other guests so the next thing I know they took the bags from behind the counter and were quickly walking towards the front. Even though they got away out the doors, they left the declined check at the counter (with the name and address I might add), and a guest was smart enough to use a display camera to take a picture of their faces. Needless to say we had their faces, names, and address and the cops arrested them the next day. Gotta love guests that think on their feet!

Best thing that ever happened to me was when I was covering the electronics boat and a guest tried to purchase a game and about 200$ worth of clothes. The check was denied so we put the bags behind the counter for reshop. Being towards the holidays I had to go help other guests so the next thing I know they took the bags from behind the counter and were quickly walking towards the front. Even though they got away out the doors, they left the declined check at the counter (with the name and address I might add), and a guest was smart enough to use a display camera to take a picture of their faces. Needless to say we had their faces, names, and address and the cops arrested them the next day. Gotta love guests that think on their feet!

That's an awesome story! Glad to hear they got caught lol

Had a guest steal a knife then use the stolen knife to cut open packages in electronics to steal MORE ****. Lol

Had a guest snip a wire on the spiderwire... but this was months ago. It made a crazy loud sound, she was pretty obvious considering she threw it and ran off towards the home goods. Lol

This story takes place over a couple of weeks:

One day, this lady comes into the store and heads to electronics. Not long after, a GSA at Guest Services notices her walking out of the store with a TV in hand, and asks her for the receipt. GSA ends up being called "a racist", but hey, the thief had no receipt in hand. She ran off to her car and drove off.

Go to the next week, the same lady walks into the store and tries the exact same thing. Again. Only to get caught. Again.

At this point you'd imagine she'd stop coming into the store, if not after the first time...but nope. She comes in a third time, and this time, the GSA on duty who saw her last time notices her, and gives the rest of the team and AP a heads up. AP comes out in plainclothes and follows her around the store. The lady shops normally this time, picking out her items and heading to the checklanes, with AP behind her. When the two get to the cashier, however, the cashier goes...

"Hey, <inset AP guy's name>, what's up?"

And then shortly after, the cart attendnt on duty goes up to AP to also have a little casual chat.

And that's when AP's cover was blown. The lady happened to be talking on her phone at the time and exclaimed, "oh my gosh...Target's following me!"

And that's how we were all advised to never acknowlege AP when we see him in plainclothes.

Ahhh that sucks lol.

Also I don't think anyone except AP or an ETL can receipt check... According to my store management anyway.

This story takes place over a couple of weeks:

One day, this lady comes into the store and heads to electronics. Not long after, a GSA at Guest Services notices her walking out of the store with a TV in hand, and asks her for the receipt. GSA ends up being called "a racist", but hey, the thief had no receipt in hand. She ran off to her car and drove off.

Go to the next week, the same lady walks into the store and tries the exact same thing. Again. Only to get caught. Again.

At this point you'd imagine she'd stop coming into the store, if not after the first time...but nope. She comes in a third time, and this time, the GSA on duty who saw her last time notices her, and gives the rest of the team and AP a heads up. AP comes out in plainclothes and follows her around the store. The lady shops normally this time, picking out her items and heading to the checklanes, with AP behind her. When the two get to the cashier, however, the cashier goes...

"Hey, <inset AP guy's name>, what's up?"

And then shortly after, the cart attendnt on duty goes up to AP to also have a little casual chat.

And that's when AP's cover was blown. The lady happened to be talking on her phone at the time and exclaimed, "oh my gosh...Target's following me!"

And that's how we were all advised to never acknowlege AP when we see him in plainclothes.

Why the F would somebody do that...

I heard a few weeks ago someone put a red shirt and khakis, went to the backroom, grabbed a TV without any spiderwrap, and load it in a cart. When the guest was at front, LOD asked for a receipt. The guest just then leaves the cart and went outside.

Normally we only spiderwrap 32" and under. Now we just make sure every TV's spiderwrap.

When we see them we're supposed to treat them like every other guest. "Hi, can I help you find anything?" is generally all I say. Lol

When we see them we're supposed to treat them like every other guest. "Hi, can I help you find anything?" is generally all I say. Lol

I chuckled to myself imagining a guest walking out of the store, obviously stealing a TV, and a TM walking up to them and asking "Hi, can I help you find anything?" as they head out the door.

I chuckled to myself imagining a guest walking out of the store, obviously stealing a TV, and a TM walking up to them and asking "Hi, can I help you find anything?" as they head out the door.

At a grocery store I worked at, a guy tried to walk out of the store with about ten pounds of steak and shrimp stuffed in his pants.
The assistant manager walked up to him just as he hit the door and asked if he needed a basket to carry the stuff to the counter to pay for the groceries as it must be "very uncomfortable carrying them like that."
The guy tried to break and run, couldn't because his pants were full and the doors didn't open very fast.
He slammed into the door frame, fell down and the assistant manager grabbed him.
She was about 8 3/4 months pregnant at the time so it was a sight to behold when a bunch of us came running up to help out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back