Archived Funny things on the Target Reddit page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emotional support animals DO NOT have all of the same protections under the Americans with disabilities act. This is why a guide dog for a blind individual must be allowed and a dog for someone with PTSD may not (each situation may be different). Target clearly fears ada complaints and has scared tms away from approaching anyone with an animal. But legally the store could (likely an LOD).

I think it’s rude to bring pets into public places. Service animals are well trained although unfortunately there is no legal certification or license they obtain

Dogs without service vests,

Not all service dogs wear vest.

People just ignore the signage that says only service dogs welcome and our management refuses to enforce it.

I can't think of any store that does. You technically can't do anything but ask if it's a service dog and what duties it performs.

Even though I think it's annoying very few dogs cause any trouble. There are more people I would rather kick out of our store than dogs

Not all service dogs wear vest.

I can't think of any store that does. You technically can't do anything but ask if it's a service dog and what duties it performs.

You can't even ask, legally. It's a violation of the owner's HIPAA privacy rights, because asking about the animal's duties are at least a clue as to the medical status of the human.

Yep, all you can do is ask if it's a service dog. That is it. 99% of the time, people are going to lie and say yes. You can't ask for proof.

However, I've had a repeat offender who had a "service dog" shit on the floor every visit. I told her that she's in charge of cleaning up after her own dog if they wanted to continue visiting our store. Sorry, service dog or not (fyi, actual service dogs are typically potty trained) but you can't just not clean up after your dog. She didn't argue the point, but I stopped seeing her after that.

I don't know if it's a an actual law in my state, but if anywhere else in public, you're expected to clean up after your dog, a store should be no exception.

It seems eminently reasonable, if Target can't realistically keep dogs out of stores, that they insist that owners clean up after them.

I've only seen a couple of dogs in our store, and only noticed them because their people asked me a question and I looked down at my Zebra or something and happened to notice them.

You can't even ask, legally. It's a violation of the owner's HIPAA privacy rights, because asking about the animal's duties are at least a clue as to the medical status of the human.
You CAN ask legally. Target has its own rules

Request Rejected - https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

You CAN ask legally. Target has its own rules

Request Rejected - https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

They are right, in Targets policy they don't want you to ask what duties they are trained to perform. We go above ADA

You all act like kids aren't MORE destructive and gross than most dogs. We should ban children from stores.

You all act like kids aren't MORE destructive and gross than most dogs. We should ban children from stores.
Nah, just require them to be leashed and muzzled.
cocugunu_tasma_ile_dolastirdi_h301698_cf994.jpeg

Most of the time I let it be if the dog is being controlled. I’ve had more problems with dogs outside of my store than inside. There a couple times I got bit by off leash dogs outside of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back