Archived General cashier questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi new cashier here. I have a few questions about how the register works and all that.
1) what do I do if I ring up a guest then they have to run to their car or something before they can pay? Do I have to ring them up again?
2) what do I do with the Wiccas and checks and all that?
3) when and how do I fill out my w-4? They didn't really go over this at orientation.
4) do you have any tips about how I can get faster at cashiering?
Thanks!

Hi new cashier here. I have a few questions about how the register works and all that.
1) what do I do if I ring up a guest then they have to run to their car or something before they can pay? Do I have to ring them up again?
3) when and how do I fill out my w-4? They didn't really go over this at orientation.
Thanks!
  1. Our registers have a suspend button that will put the transaction on hold until a guest gets back. You scan the slip that prints out when they return.
  2. I hope you mean WIC checks and not Wiccans. ;)
  3. Gonna skip this one.
  4. Repetition. If there are items with hangers, remove the hangers all at once before starting the scanning.

Yeah, what @HairyToothpick said. I started my cashier training today. And I noticed that my scores went down when I spent time taking off the hangers AFTER I started scanning. So, take it off BEFORE you start scanning. And suspending your transaction is never a bad thing. There's a suspend button on your keypad. Your trainer should've told you. I had 15 minutes of training and she told me this.

Tips to be faster? Just scan as fast and bag as you can. There's really no other way around it. I had my first 3-hour shift today, I averaged 95%.

1.) Tell them that they're being a really huge inconvenience, and that their items will be on hold in the trash can at food ave when they're ready to come back.
Or if you're having an exceptionally great day you can tell them you can suspend their transaction while they go to their car, and that you will be holding their items for them at the register (hit the suspend button...is it above Total? crap, I've only been gone 20 days and I can't remember exactly). When they come back, you can scan the suspend slip and after a few seconds their entire transaction will come back up on the screen. Note that when they come back, they usually don't want to stand in line behind everybody else since they were there first and you're holding their stuff...I never asked them to get back in line, I just let the person behind know there was a problem earlier and I have to take care of their transaction really quick and apologize. Nobody has ever had a problem with it (although I really appreciate the ones who are patient and considerate enough to just get back in line). However, if they say the left their wallet at home and they'll be back, call the GSTL/GSA over and have them take it to guest service (and let the guest know that's where it'll be). Reason being is that 1.) 90% of the time they don't come back and 2.) If they do come back, you don't know how long it'll take or if you will even be at the same register when they do come back.

2.)Exactly what @HairyToothpick said. I don't know much about WIC, our store took it for about a month and then we lost WIC license or whatever. During the month that we did take it, there were constant problems. I never ended up dealing with a single WIC transaction though.

3.) Talk to HR.

4.)Getting faster just comes with experience. Focus on accuracy and learning what you can for now. It'll come...nobody even gives a shit about being fast honestly ( I mean if you're constantly red months out from now, maybe, but that never happens...even the slow as molasses cashiers have overall green scores). Focus your attention on RedCards, that's the only thing that really matters as a cashier.

Just press the SUSPEND button and a slip will print out with a barcode. When the guest returns, you retrieve the order by scanning that barcode. In the meantime, you can usually scan the next guest's order if they don't have a ton of items.

Burn them at the stake!

Lol if you're talking about WIC checks, that should be covered in your training if your store accepts WIC; if not, ask a GSTL/GSA for help. At my store, only the GSTL/GSA handles WIC transactions. All processed checks (including rebate checks for baby formula) should go in the cash drawer either in the last (far left) compartment or under the till.

You have to fill it out electronically. Ask HR to show you how to log onto eHR and Paperless Employee.

When it comes to cashiering, the most important thing is repetition, and you'll get plenty of practice. The more you get used to working the register, the faster you'll get. I struggled as a noob because I had never worked a register before, but I got better with time.

At my orieantation they said to get your W-4 and form of payment, etc. done ASAP.
They have computers (at mine at least) in the break rooms so you can access eHR to do that.

Thanks!

Tell them their religion is a joke.

Use the suspend key
BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!! Team up with your GSTLs/GSAs. WIC is a bit complicated. And must be follow precisely.
Go to HR immediately. You have to have a W4 on file.
- first work on accuracy.
- go with the Red Card mention before scanning,
- start scanning immediately prompt guest to swipe if using card,
- know locations of DPCIs on products, such as clothes (inside tags) or Target brand items. also perfect defense for ticket switchers.
- follow your stores price challenges
- finish scanning prompt guest
- keep hangers on clothes and do special bagging after payment is finished.
- if the guest is Mr/Ms Fumbles, suspend if needed. but keep in mind the POS can lose that suspended transaction. use it wisely.

Where I worked, there were instructions for the WIC checks in the drawer below the register. You can not substitute items on the wic checks. The checks must be from your state. The person must show their booklet. The person must sign and date the check in front of you. Compare the signature on the check to the signature on the booklet. If they don't match call over a GSTL.
I know it sounds confusing, you will learn..Every state is different, so my instructions might not apply to your state.. Ask another cashier or GSTL when you get one. You may only get one once every few weeks so you can forget what to do, but you can also follow the prompts on the register.

Remember, if your register drawer opens, something has to be put in the drawer, such as money, or a check. - well, it also opens if you have to give out change. If the drawer opens and you don't know why, call a GSTL over to ask them what happened.

As far as getting faster, it will come in time. I always stressed to new cashiers to try to be accurate before they worked on speed.

Learn everything there is about redcards so you are comfortable asking guests to apply for one. Believe in the item, look the guest in the eye when you ask them if they want to get a card.. Know the perks..You have to know the product you are selling or you won't get any.

Good Luck.

What's with all the hostility towards Wiccans?
Can we all just get along?
*hangs pentacles up

They're all witches and they should be burned at the stake because the Church denounces paganism!

A former member of my young adult group at church had spent some time dabbling in Wicca. She often had interesting stories to tell about her experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back