Archived General Info Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just interviewed for a position and was offered a sales floor position, but the interviewer told me due to my military experience and education that my "talent" (Target lingo he informed me) means he is putting in a request to make me a Sr Team Lead for perhaps Logistics or another position, depending on my class schedule.

I'd like to be as prepared as possible going into this new venture, so I was hoping if I could be provided a key/legend of Taget jargon/lingo as well as some pointers about the entire deal. *EDITE: Found the terminology thread, please disregard

Also, I realize the dress code is khaki pants and a primarily red shirt, but in my store I've noticed people that clearly haven't showered nor brushed their teeth, have shirts that could be considered dresses or with the collar stretched out extensively, or just unclean uniforms. Is this the norm? As a Sr TL would I be within my scope to correct this?

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are still taking classes, I think they are referring your application for a Team Lead-Logistics position. Usually they will work with your schedule as long as you are available to close 1 or 2 nights a week, and rotate weekends. Usually about 32 hours of work hours a week.

If they are referring you to an ETL-Logistics position. They are sending your application to the Corporate and District and Group TLs. If they like you, you may have additional interviews. If they like you, they will send you to Target business college and assigned to a store. You pretty much have to have a full availability to be an ETL unless you are about to graduate.

STL is more the overall leader for a store.

If you have additional interviews, go in red button up collared shirt and khakis. Usually dress code for stores are just any red and khaki; while some press a collared button up or polo red shirt.

I've already purchased traditional dress khaki slacks and red polos as well as one of the Target button up dress shirts.

The interviewer said once my business degree (18 months roughly) is completed I will likely be recruited for another position, but at this point he had mentioned Senior Team Lead for a department.

Should I expect animosity from Team Members for being promoted from outside? I would think a couple of the Team Members were hoping for that position.

SrTL I see I see. Basically, you will have the responsibilities as any other ETL, but you are still considered a hourly TM.

This has been typical practice for Target in the last couple years to hire from outside before considering internals. But as long as you treat the team with respect and show you work well in the position, then they will respect you back.

Only thing to watch out for from my experience, I know with my store Execs (not typical of all stores), they considered the SrTLs just like TLs. They would give them the same responsibilities as they held. But they would never allow them to come into the Exec meetings or luncheons.

Also, I realize the dress code is khaki pants and a primarily red shirt, but in my store I've noticed people that clearly haven't showered nor brushed their teeth, have shirts that could be considered dresses or with the collar stretched out extensively, or just unclean uniforms. Is this the norm?
As a STL would I be within my scope to correct this?

As an STL it is in 'your scope' but you might want to think about why the situation exists in the first place.
Most of the backroom folk are working under very hot and difficult conditions which can lead to odoriferous and sloppy conditions.
For that matter they also tend to be the orcs of the Target army.
You want something crushed, moved, or shelved in no time flat?
They are the people to do it but don't expect them to be pretty.
You might want to think of yourself as Sherman T. Potter.
He made sure the MASH unit ran smoothly and to army standards but turned a blind eye to certain activities of his doctors.

Last edited:
Note to OP: STL is an acronym for Store Team Lead, and refers to the store's general manager.

The position you're referring to is a Senior Team Lead and is usually abbreviated as Sr TL. To answer your question, as a Senior TL you would be outside your scope of attempting to correct the dressing habits of the entire team. You could have conversations with key individuals (your bosses, the ETLs and STL) to make a storewide change. If an individual TM has particularly unacceptable clothing, you have the power to have a conversation with them and document it as a coaching.

I will keep that in mind- thank you. I'm prior military so "working conditions" or what have you resulting in poor appearance really isn't a valid argument with me. The team members are a direct representation of the store itself... at MINIMUM they should have a clean uniform at the start of the shift as well as one that fits properly... not a night gown t-shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back