Archived General questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
Hey guys,

So now that I've been at Target for 7 months, I need some tips and advice on a few questions I'm still unsure of.

When the walkie says "Fast service needed in _____", when you go to the area that the service is needed in, do you just have to push the black button on the side of the phone and it clears it?

When the operator asks for a team member in Furniture and they say "There's a guest on 2283", how do you do that? Can you ask the operator to transfer the call to whatever red phone you're at that has a extension on that white strip?

What is the difference between the poles with the red phone and the one rectangle call button with a plastic flashing top and a big black button in the middle of it at the end of the isle?

What are some good tips in zoning so that I get done on time? And what are some efficient ways of putting away reshop?

If at the end of a transaction, you are about to hand them the change that reads on the screen and then they find a quarter to put towards the original total, is there a way to go back once you have the receipt and change the total price, instead of trying to think how much change they would get back in my head?

If you check for an item for a guest in the backroom and there's one in the backroom, do you walkie someone in the backroom to grab it for you and bring it to you, while you wait with the guest, or do you excuse yourself from the guest and go to the backroom and grab the item yourself?

How do you process rainchecks at the register when someone hands you the slip?

Thanks guys a bunch, I've had these questions in my mind for a while now.

Hey guys,

So now that I've been at Target for 7 months, I need some tips and advice on a few questions I'm still unsure of.

When the walkie says "Fast service needed in _____", when you go to the area that the service is needed in, do you just have to push the black button on the side of the phone and it clears it?

When the operator asks for a team member in Furniture and they say "There's a guest on 2283", how do you do that? Can you ask the operator to transfer the call to whatever red phone you're at that has a extension on that white strip?

What is the difference between the poles with the red phone and the one rectangle call button with a plastic flashing top and a big black button in the middle of it at the end of the isle?

What are some good tips in zoning so that I get done on time? And what are some efficient ways of putting away reshop?

If at the end of a transaction, you are about to hand them the change that reads on the screen and then they find a quarter to put towards the original total, is there a way to go back once you have the receipt and change the total price, instead of trying to think how much change they would get back in my head?

If you check for an item for a guest in the backroom and there's one in the backroom, do you walkie someone in the backroom to grab it for you and bring it to you, while you wait with the guest, or do you excuse yourself from the guest and go to the backroom and grab the item yourself?

How do you process rainchecks at the register when someone hands you the slip?

Thanks guys a bunch, I've had these questions in my mind for a while now.

There should be a clear button in that area..usually on the phones. Just press it and assist the guest.

Pick up any store phone,enter the extension the operator tells you and you will be connected with the guest.

Not sure about the difference between the phones.

It would be best to just so it in your head. Otherwise,close your drawer to end the transaction then scan the receipt and go "K6- fix a mistake", then select "K5-Wrong Payment". That will then bring up the transaction again... Total it up and select "Pay a different way" when it prompts you. Enter the amount and total it... As you can see, it's best to do it in your head lol.

Never grab an item from the back room yourself. It hasn't been processed into the stores inventory yet.

Simply scan the rain check and make sure you keep it. I got in trouble when I was new for giving guest rain checks back.

The phone has the black button on the side to clear it.
The rectangular box (call box) has a clear bar on the top that you press to clear.
B26 covered everything else.

NEVER just go grab an item from the backroom yourself unless you know what your doing, ask a backroom team member to get it for you the proper way, or ask the ETL/LOD or anyone who is backroom certified to get it for you

[...]

If there's a phone, you clear the message by pressing the small black button on the right side. Or if you have the phones without the button, then you have to do something else (check out the threads that StaticSun posted). If it's just the red box with a button, then push back on the top part with the flashing light to clear it.

Depends on whether you're in hardlines or softlines. If you're in hardlines: Pull items forward on shelves so that the diamonds are covered. Also pull forward items on peghooks. Start from the top shelf and work your way down in each 4-ft section so you don't miss anything. Don't forget endcaps and sidecaps! Since you may not (read: most likely will not) have time to deep zone (pull everything forward), you at least want to put a good "face" on each aisle. Try not to spend too much time in one spot, as it will leave you with less time for the rest of your area. If you see a stray item that clearly doesn't belong there, throw it in your cart so it can be taken care of later. If you see a gray dot in a location that's not empty, make sure the items are supposed to be there (if they are, remove the gray dot - see below regarding gray dots).

If you're in softlines: I'm not trained in softlines, so I can't contribute much here. Check out the guide for softlines in the Guides section.

Re-shop: First of all, get a PDA if possible. If your store doesn't print out the Smart Sort lists for re-shop carts, then you'll need a PDA if you want to get your re-shop done quickly. You don't have to know exactly where every single item belongs, but try to get to know each section as much as you can. When you're working a cart of re-shop, divide the cart into groups of aisles so you don't have to go back and forth. For example, I might divide the toys/sporting goods/automotive block into toddler/preschool, girl toys, boy toys, board games/puzzles, sports/camping, and automotive. Or the stationery/kitchen block into dishes/utensils/other kitchen paraphernalia, appliances, school/office, party/giftwrap, and cards/stationery. Also, in areas such as domestics, toys, kitchen, and seasonal, get the large items out of the way first. It's easier to manage your re-shop without that toaster oven or Sterilite bin in the way. And don't forget - if you're re-shopping an item in a location with a gray dot, be sure to remove the dot (unless your store keeps the dots on critical lows - ask a TL or anyone from the Instocks team if you're not sure).

As B26 said, just figure it out in your head. If your drawer is already open, don't bother changing it in the register, as long as the guest gets the correct amount of change back.

As others have said, and I cannot stress it enough, DON'T PULL AN ITEM YOURSELF UNLESS YOU'RE BACKROOM CERTIFIED. You don't want to screw up the inventory, and even if you do know how to SUBT an item, you could get coached or written up for pulling an item without backroom certification. Of course, this varies by store, but it's better to play it safe and let the backroom team do it. Switch to channel 2 or 3 (depending on which channel your store uses for the backroom), and don't start rattling off the DPCI until they're ready. Offer to meet them at the door so they don't have to search for the guest - remember, they have stuff to get done just like you do.

The best way is always walkie the backroom. Confirm they're pulling it, then meet them back there and take the item out to the guest. I've found that not only will it get to the guest quicker that way but the backroom will appreciate you keeping them off the floor.

It almost sounds like other stores have slightly different phone systems than my own. At my store you hold the black button down for a full second then release and listen for the walkie to "clear" the call. If you simply push the button, it doesn't take the alert.

Again, slightly different, we have to hit the pound sign to allow the phone to pick up lines. When you pick up the phone and hear the ring, you wait for the voice to kick in, after that you interrupt her with pound228x. After that we have to wait a few seconds before actually speaking as it does not go through immediately and the person on the other end will not hear your greeting. The first couple of times i tried to answer a phone I was not explained to hit pound first, and the calls wouldn't take. Not meant to confuse you with conflicting information, but just so you know you may want to clarify with someone on your sales floor first.

As everyone else has mentioned, have a certified backroom team member do the item pull, but the follow up depends on the item and department. If you are in electronics with no other team members in your area, ask that the back room bring it to the floor so that you do not leave your department without coverage. Even though you are with a guest, you are still a presence on the floor for other guests to see and AP concerns. If you are requesting an item from elsewhere on the sales floor, after confirming over the walkie that the backroom team member can pull the item, ask the guest where they would like to meet you or have you take the item. If it is a large furniture item it will be in everyone's best interest that it go to the front end immediately so the guest may continue to shop and pick it up on their way out. If it is a clothing item, you can offer to drop it off at the fitting room. Sometimes the guest will want it brought directly to them, in which case if you offer to meet them in the general area they may pick up another item or two and not feel pressured to simply wait for you.
As far as the backroom goes, most stores seem to allow team members to enter the backroom or receiving area at least. If your store allows this, agree to meet the backroom team member back there, that way if the item requires a team lift you are present to help. This should also cut down the guest's wait time and saving the backroom team member from going to the floor is always a huge help. Very often a backroom team member steps foot on the floor for ten seconds and gets interrupted by guests looking for exact things the team member would never know how to find on the sales floor as they never work there.

EDIT: I'd missed artforoxygen's response that had already stated the importance of keeping the backroom team member in the back. In addition to their possible reduced knowledge of sales floor locations, they are timed in their tasks and if and when possible should be allowed to work uninterrupted.

It seems like everything else was answered, hope these all help you out on the floor!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back