Archived Getting Called In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that I will never understand. You tell them you're available to work everyday, yet, they'll only schedule you for about 4-5 days out of the week for around 24-28 hours. Then, on a day you aren't scheduled to come in, they call you about three hours before a shift starts when you're already doing something on your day off asking if you want some extra hours.

This happened to me today.

Don't you just hate that? I mean, an extra couple of hours would be great, but my stepfather is my transportation at the moment and he needs to know my schedule before hand to make sure he is free to take me on the days I have to work. I've heard that the people who are asked to come in and can, usually get top priority when someone calls out and they need to find someone else.

I just don't want hr to start thinking I never want to get called in. I often wonder how they go about handing out shifts for the week. My availability is everyday so you would think that I'd get a shift everyday, but that's not the case. Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, but it would make more sense to me if they just schedule you for more days instead of leaving you off the schedule as backup when someone else doesn't come in.

Does anyone else get pissed off like this with hr sometimes?

I loved the time they called me at 8:20am, asking me if I could come in at 8:30am.

Lol.

This is pre-Online Schedules.

It was interesting how I got called by the LOD about every week for 2 months asking me why I haven't come into work for my shift. I tell them I am scheduled off for today by the wall schedule. They go check the wall schedule...then come back. "Sorry..." <click> They don't even bother to offer if I still want to work it. They just ended up calling someone else.

I loved the time they called me at 8:20am, asking me if I could come in at 8:30am.

Lol.

Lol, I live like 1 minute from my store, so I actually did this once :) They asked me when I could come in, and I said "10 Minutes!!"

@OP, HR doesn't know if you are making plans, they just are checking if you want the extra hours. You are correct, if you say "no" enough, they WILL stop bothering you :)

I guess I don't know what you're mad at HR for since you want more hours but can't since you rely on somebody for a ride ?? :/

Lol, I live like 1 minute from my store, so I actually did this once :) They asked me when I could come in, and I said "10 Minutes!!"

@OP, HR doesn't know if you are making plans, they just are checking if you want the extra hours. You are correct, if you say "no" enough, they WILL stop bothering you :)

I guess I don't know what you're mad at HR for since you want more hours but can't since you rely on somebody for a ride ?? :/

As I said in the beginning of my post, on the schedule, it states that I'm available to work everyday (as I'm taking my classes online). I'm not mad at them per say, it just doesn't make sense to me that they'd only schedule me for 4-5 days, sometimes only 3, when I'm willing to work the whole week. Especially since my particular Target has over half of the cashiers as part-time only.

Less Hrs Less Benefits....

The lack of benefits doesn't bother me, as I don't plan on making Target my career position. It's just a means to an end. But I would like to get the hours that I told them I wanted instead of being left off for a few days and suddenly being called in and having to figure out if I'm going to be able to make it there on such short notice.

Past couple weeks we've had extra cashier hours posted at timeclock... "You can work?? Write your name in!!". Also tons of additional shifts that the younger cashiers want to get rid of so they can party/etc. on the weekend :D I find that Cashier is the easiest workcenter to get hours in, you just need to be willing to do it! "Oh I'm already doing something on my day off...." is the same as a NO!

As far as being available on short notice, most of us have cars and can make it in at 1-2 hours notice. Its a requirement for almost every job to have reliable transportation. You can make it to your scheduled shifts which is great, but its not Target's fault that you can't make it to extra shifts.

When I was doing carts, I was available everyday, all day. I sometimes only got 30-35 hours; sometimes as little as 25. Just because you're available doesn't mean they are going to schedule you everyday. You need to take the initiative to pick up extra hours, and show a willingness to work 40 hour weeks (Few call ins, went home earlys, etc.) Good job performance helps too, my TL is giving the most scheduled hours to people who have been at Target longest/High Performers.

haha tell that to my old HR. I blatantly told them I didn't have the time, nor was I interested in picking up shifts on my days off (A big no no but this was a few weeks before I quit) and they still called me anytime someone called out whether in my department or not. I guess when they are desperate they are desperate. My store started having some massive staffing issues to the point where there was an abundance of hours and not enough TMs to occupy them. /shrug

Past couple weeks we've had extra cashier hours posted at timeclock... "You can work?? Write your name in!!". Also tons of additional shifts that the younger cashiers want to get rid of so they can party/etc. on the weekend :D I find that Cashier is the easiest workcenter to get hours in, you just need to be willing to do it! "Oh I'm already doing something on my day off...." is the same as a NO!

As far as being available on short notice, most of us have cars and can make it in at 1-2 hours notice. Its a requirement for almost every job to have reliable transportation. You can make it to your scheduled shifts which is great, but its not Target's fault that you can't make it to extra shifts.

When I was doing carts, I was available everyday, all day. I sometimes only got 30-35 hours; sometimes as little as 25. Just because you're available doesn't mean they are going to schedule you everyday. You need to take the initiative to pick up extra hours, and show a willingness to work 40 hour weeks (Few call ins, went home earlys, etc.) Good job performance helps too, my TL is giving the most scheduled hours to people who have been at Target longest/High Performers.

I am well aware of reliable transportation being a requirement for a job. But when your transportation is not your own and you're currently waiting for your own vehicle to be repaired, you have to work with what you've got. As I've said before, I've more than shown that I'm willing to work everyday (staying late, cross-training, etc.) while my other young peers constantly call out so I think it's fair to say that I have taken the initiative.

About 20% of our TMs don't have their own transportation. They either share vehicles, ride the bus, dial-a-ride or get dropped off. It's notated in the TM roster so the HR person knows who can't come in on a dime.

About 20% of our TMs don't have their own transportation. They either share vehicles, ride the bus, dial-a-ride or get dropped off. It's notated in the TM roster so the HR person knows who can't come in on a dime.

I wish my store had this so they would know. As I said before, my step-dad is currently taking me to work and has to work around his own schedule in order to do it so I can't just say yes to call-in like most unless it's a day ahead. If the bus route extended to our area it would be much easier for me to get these extra hours, but like I said before, I have to deal with it for now.

I despise the tms that complain about not having hours then when i go to call them they never answer the dang phone.

I live a minute from my store, so I get calls at times because more often then not I will say yes and be there in 10 minutes. Heck, I even went in to shop once and they asked me if I could come in in ten minutes. I haven't been called in a while though as I am typically at 38+ hours, however, I won't complain about that! Sure would be nice if they gave you "Thank you" pay, say an extra .25-.50 for taking the shift, or at the very least pay you what that work center gets paid (provided it is higher.) I always said no to being asked to work Flow because I didn't think it was fair for me to do work for less than the person that called in. It's only a win for them. At my old job in HS, if we were called in for a time we weren't on the schedule, we got an extra hours pay.

:laugh1: It is true about people complaining about hours never answering their phone. I hear clerical grumbling about it all the time. Weirdly enough they asked me to come in today but I already had plans.

All I can say about this is:

If you work backroom day, and somebody calls out, and you have enough hours to cover the call out, you damn well better come to work. Especially if its the weekend. Because if you don't...the person you stiffed by leaving them by themselves in the BR is going to be very, very pissed at you the next time you work together.
And good luck if they're ever going to take a shift for you or come in on THEIR day off and YOU'RE the one stuck by yourself.

Do I sound bitter? Nooo....not at all. :dash2:

Since we hired a new HRTL, my HR has this annoying habit of only calling me in when I'm unavailable. And it figures that the one shift they scheduled me for next week was on a day that I'm not available to work because I have class. I had to complain about it to my ETL-GE and she moved the shift for me, but who knows how much more it'll happen with this HRTL...

When Target calls me I just don't answer the phone, I let them leave a voicemail. I plan things on my day off, and working O/N (now 4am) it's really important to factor sleep into the equation.

If I want to come in a certain day that I'm not scheduled, I'll ask a few days prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back