Archived Getting coached for calling off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every call off will lead to a coaching. Three call offs will lead to a final I believe.
Is there a time frame for this? I usually have two or three days in the year that I call out because of illness and to me, that should not warrant a coaching. Hey, people get sick and that is why Target also gives us sick hours. Also, I will not waste my time or that of a doctor to obtain a doctors note for a cold or migraine. Not to mention most of us have co-pays.

Yes you're expected to submit proof if you don't want it to be unexcused. Why? Because we don't run on a system of honor codes and trust (if we did we wouldn't need a time clock). I wouldn't put it past most people to lie and say they got in an accident to avoid having to come to work.
I get what you're saying but I still find it disheartening. When it comes it to new employees or employees who have been having problems with performance in other areas, then fine. But if a long time TM calls saying they were in a crash, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. A complete lack of trust will only work against the employer in the long term.

I get what you're saying but I still find it disheartening. When it comes it to new employees or employees who have been having problems with performance in other areas, then fine. But if a long time TM calls saying they were in a crash, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. A complete lack of trust will only work against the employer in the long term.

I'm not saying your ETL won't believe you. Depending on the circumstances they may very well be understanding and won't issue a corrective. However HR cannot re-classify it without documentation. I've stood up for a few TMs who, according to their attendance seem to be bad TMs. I know their situations/why they had to call out and I can speak to that and make sure they get their raises, etc. However since they never brought in documentation, their absences still show as unexcused.

A doctor's note means nothing except you rate a little higher on the honor system. I got coached after bringing in a doctor's note.

Whoever told you that gave you bad information. Sick time does cover your absences.

Here is the information straight from the Time-off Program Guide:

View attachment 5577
I'm going to use this in the future. I even asked my ETL-HR and she said that it doesn't cover call offs. A few of us from my store are going to call the hotline because we feel this isn't right.

Is there a time frame for this? I usually have two or three days in the year that I call out because of illness and to me, that should not warrant a coaching. Hey, people get sick and that is why Target also gives us sick hours. Also, I will not waste my time or that of a doctor to obtain a doctors note for a cold or migraine. Not to mention most of us have co-pays.
I would like to say there is a timeframe as coachings do expire but my TLs are making it seem like there isn't.

My store can be ridiculous about call outs. I work predominantly in the cash office, and I’ll rarely call out because it’s so hard to get coverage in that work center. Plus I’m in an office all alone which affords a decent amount of privacy. I’ve worked through bad menstral cramps, larengytis, even mourning (crying) after my dad died.

So my point is, it takes a hell of a lot for me to call off. Last year, I had a family emergency. I was able to contact someone else in the store who also knows cash Office and she agreed to cover my shift.

I then called the LOD to say “I can’t come in but XXX agreed to cover”. Goddamnit wouldn’t you know the damn LOD asked me for a doctors note. For real??? I was calling to tell you I got my shift covered. I could have wanted the day off to do nothing and it should be ok.

Anyway, I never turned in a note. I was fine. But my store can be really over the top when they want to be.

Doctor's notes for routine illnesses are an expensive drain on an already shitty healthcare system and should never be required for anything, let alone a one-day call out.

So sayeth I. Doctor's note policies are archaic, ridiculous and don't really solve any problems they're intended to solve. People are going to get sick. People are going to slack off. If a TM is in the latter group, they're going to slack off more than just not showing up, so figure it out and can their ass, or put up with them calling out because you can't find anyone better. All the song & dance with doctor's notes and inconsistent coaching is just so much BS.

Doctor's notes for routine illnesses are an expensive drain on an already shitty healthcare system and should never be required for anything, let alone a one-day call out.

So sayeth I. Doctor's note policies are archaic, ridiculous and don't really solve any problems they're intended to solve. People are going to get sick. People are going to slack off. If a TM is in the latter group, they're going to slack off more than just not showing up, so figure it out and can their ass, or put up with them calling out because you can't find anyone better. All the song & dance with doctor's notes and inconsistent coaching is just so much BS.

^Pretty much. Like what else do I need. I note from my mommy and daddy?

I had a job before that required doctor's notes for sick callouts, and since the doc charges half a paycheck I would just come to work sick unless I was actually dying and made sure to blow chunks somewhere where boss man would see it. He chewed my ass a couple times for leaving the bathroom sink full of puke, and I said "welp if I had cleaned it up and then asked to go home sick you wouldn't have believed me." Another time I had ultra extreme diarrhea and let him know and he got annoyed with me for oversharing, even though once again he wouldn't believe me unless I had literally shat on his desk.

The requirement for doctor's notes encourages people to come in sick and spread their gross ass germs everywhere which is just tragically shitty

I’m pretty sure the doctors note policy is in there for extreme and non routine illness issues. If you don’t make a habit of it there is no reason to worry. Your leader should be coaching an call out because how is he/she supposed to know if this is the start of a pattern or not? If it’s not then who cares but if it is, it makes there job that much easier to prove the pattern and draft a corrective

OP: How far in advance did you notify your store of calling out?

OP: How far in advance did you notify your store of calling out?
I called off two hours before my shift started. It wasn't even a call off because someone ended up taking my shift without me realizing it. I would have gotten coached regardless if it weren't for that.

Update: I ended up not getting coached. Someone ended up taking my shift yesterday. I'm still thinking of calling the hotline.
Unless your events are well documented by you, calling the hotline is not a good idea. Talk to your etl hr or stl, first.
It appears you have some performance issues too.

Attendance is such a huge focus for the company right now. I think HQ realizes they were pretty laxed with leaders around attendance and want to make sure everyone knows and understands the importance of attendance. Hence why they're laying down the hammer. At my store, it's a performance discussion after 3 instances whether it's 2 tardies and one call out etc.

I can assure you it's not just team members, leaders are being held accountable to the same expectations. Again, at my store anyway.

From now on I am going to PDD every single call out, we have TMs who wait till they have enough sick time to cover their shift, and then call out, they call it free money. Like the cash office lady said above, if you have good work ethic you are going to show up to work and do your best.
Alot of TMs are just burnt up losers , who wouldn’t know what work ethic is even if you shoved it up their crusty asshole.

Unless your events are well documented by you, calling the hotline is not a good idea. Talk to your etl hr or stl, first.
It appears you have some performance issues too.
I don't have performance issues. My GSTLs have told me the same about my performance. I already talked to my ETL HR and she told me that even if I use sick time to cover a call off I would still get coached. My only problem with this is that everyone is getting coached regardless of how good, decent, or bad your attendance is.

I don't have performance issues. My GSTLs have told me the same about my performance. I already talked to my ETL HR and she told me that even if I use sick time to cover a call off I would still get coached. My only problem with this is that everyone is getting coached regardless of how good, decent, or bad your attendance is.
Go ahead & call the hotline. Your mgt will really come after you then.

Go ahead & call the hotline. Your mgt will really come after you then.
I wouldn't be the only one calling but I get your point. I like my store and no one is really on me about anything. I get along well with everyone and my leads for the most part are very laid back and understanding. I was simply just trying to understand the situation and why I thought it was a little extreme.

The fact that some stores PDD every call out is pretty ridiculous in my personal opinion. Sometimes shit happens thst you have no control over. It’s one thing if there’s repeated call outs or other reliability issues. But if I’ve had a year of perfect attendance and I call out once because I’m sick, I’d be pissed if I got coached/PDD’d. ASANTS I guess.

From now on I am going to PDD every single call out, we have TMs who wait till they have enough sick time to cover their shift, and then call out, they call it free money. Like the cash office lady said above, if you have good work ethic you are going to show up to work and do your best.
Alot of TMs are just burnt up losers , who wouldn’t know what work ethic is even if you shoved it up their crusty asshole.
That is not okay. I don't even have words to express how not okay that is. I understand Spot has a major attendance problem and TMs abuse policies, but to turn around and coach everyone who ever gets too sick to come into work or has to care for a sick kid is beyond the pale and toxic to morale. A doctor's note also isn't reasonable. I don't drive. If I wake up in the morning with,say, diarrhea, I clearly can't come to work, but I'm also not riding the bus an hour and a half, probably shitting on it, to get to the clinic for a condition they can't do anything for but tell me to hydrate and wait it out. And if it's Sunday, there's no bus service. Am I to ride my bike to the doctor when I'm too ill to handle work? That's not helpful to anyone and dumps more bullshit on our already overstressed healthcare system. Seriously, doctors HATE when people come to them just to get notes for minor stuff. It wastes time they don't have.

Last edited:
That is not okay. I don't even have words to express how not okay that is. I understand Spot has a major attendance problem and TMs abuse policies, but to turn around and coach everyone who ever gets too sick to come into work or has to care for a sick kid is beyond the pale and toxic to morale. A doctor's note also isn't reasonable. I don't drive. If I wake up in the morning with,say, diarrhea, I clearly can't come to work, but I'm also not riding the bus an hour and a half, probably shitting on it, to get to the clinic for a condition they can't do anything for but tell me to hydrate and wait it out. And if it's Sunday, there's no bus service. Am I to ride my bike to the doctor when I'm too ill to handle work? That's not helpful to anyone and dumps more bullshit on our already overstressed healthcare system. Seriously, doctors HATE when people come to them just to get notes for minor stuff. It wastes time they don't have.
I was exaggerating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back