Archived Getting coached Off the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the fact that I was misusing target property and I take full responsibility for my dumb action. ............................................................................................................... I just don't get how this can happen when I'm off the clock, guests did not know I was a target employee. I was not in uniform at all but still managed to get coached. Any information will be very useful.

Therein lies the disconnect my friend.
If you really take "full responsibility for your dumb action" than that means taking the coaching that comes with them.

It's just like people who protest and are upset when they get arrested.
The system doesn't like it when you protest, Martin Luther King wrote some of his best work from the Birmingham Jail.
Free speech is the same way.
You have the absolute right to say what you want without the government arresting you for it.
That doesn't mean people don't get to call you an idiot or laugh at you.
You have to be willing to pay for the things you do good and bad.

That's exactly my point! For example if I was to do that at another store they would have no clue whatsoever that I'm a target employee and have no other choice but to just tell me to not do what I was doing. But no this ETL when out of his way to get this coaching his number one priority and get it written up for me to sign which I AM NOT DOING. because I don't acknowledge the fact that I'm going through this when I shouldn't because I WAS OFF THE CLOCK. But no talking to them is like talking to a wall.
Yea now I do still believe that you should act professional at the store you are employed at regardless if you are on the clock or not, but hey that is only my opinion. :)

That's exactly my point! For example if I was to do that at another store they would have no clue whatsoever that I'm a target employee and have no other choice but to just tell me to not do what I was doing. But no this ETL when out of his way to get this coaching his number one priority and get it written up for me to sign which I AM NOT DOING. because I don't acknowledge the fact that I'm going through this when I shouldn't because I WAS OFF THE CLOCK. But no talking to them is like talking to a wall.
Now when you say "take the electric carts out for a spin" do you mean just riding them around or were you horse playing and racing?

Yes, when you are on break/lunch you are off the clock. However, that doesn't mean you can just run around the store and do as you please. You made a mistake ( you said so in your post) so at this point just hope for the best. I will also add several years ago( at my store) while zoning( at the end of the night...store was closed ) a team lead took a large pillow box and hid in it...when a tm walked by she jumped out and scared her . A fellow tm recorded it on their phone and posted it on FB...they were all called in the office a few days later. They were all written up . The stl told them she didn't care if they were on or off the clock she wouldn't put up with things like that on the salesfloor. She then told them if they were off stage it would had been different .

Yes, when you are on break/lunch you are off the clock. However, that doesn't mean you can just run around the store and do as you please. You made a mistake ( you said so in your post) so at this point just hope for the best. I will also add several years ago( at my store) while zoning( at the end of the night...store was closed ) a team lead took a large pillow box and hid in it...when a tm walked by she jumped out and scared her . A fellow tm recorded it on their phone and posted it on FB...they were all called in the office a few days later. They were all written up . The stl told them she didn't care if they were on or off the clock she wouldn't put up with things like that on the salesfloor. She then told them if they were off stage it would had been different .
That should also be a good lesson on why you should always be careful about what you post on social media!

They've done that off stage at my store before with the LOD setting it up. But key words...off stage.

So first you did it...now you won't take responsibility for it. That's your prerogative. But you don't have to sign the coaching for it to be valid. And all it will do is further tick them off. And in the end, you will be the one to lose...not them.

Yes, you can be coached for your actions at Target while off the clock. And for future reference, you cannot come into your store drunk or high, on or off the clock.

I just don't understand how you can do something stupid like this and then think that you are free from being reprimanded because you're off the clock. All I can say is be thankful you weren't written up or fired for that.

Team members have contracts? I want a new contract with a signing bonus and some incentives for perfect attendance. Make it so, makeitsoers.

If you do anything and can be identified as a Target TM, you can be written up.

Social Media is another notorious off-the-clock shannigan.

I had a TL written up for buying TMs drinks at a bar. Nobody was wearing their red/khaki or name tags.

I had a TL written up for buying TMs drinks at a bar. Nobody was wearing their red/khaki or name tags.

This one is pretty BS though. I used to go out for drinks with a TL all the time and I think she and I would have been having laughing fits if she were written up for that.

Yes, you can be coached for your actions at Target while off the clock. And for future reference, you cannot come into your store drunk or high, on or off the clock.

Coming to my store drunk seems like a dumb idea, but not sure how that'd lead to me getting written up unless I was obnoxious. But, hypothetically, I come in, am well mannered, but I smell like alcohol I really don't see why that'd be any of their business or how they'd have any grounds to write me up for that. Obviously I mean coming in to shop while drunk, not to work, that's a completely different issue. High I get, you are drug tested when hired, and expected to not do drugs, but there's no clause that says Target employees can't drink alcohol.

This one is pretty BS though. I used to go out for drinks with a TL all the time and I think she and I would have been having laughing fits if she were written up for that.
It was a BS write up. No one was underage. No one was their red or khaki.

Supposedly it was viewed as the TL favoring certain TMs. He wasn't demoted. He was just re-assigned to another part of the store with some sort of documentation.

The Target gods can't fire you for this, but they have infinite other opportunities

Team Members cannot fraternize with Team Leads who cannot fraternize with Senior TLs who cannot fraternize with ETLs. We had a TL marry a Senior TL and I'm guessing (hoping) there was some fraternization prior to the wedding, but they kept it pretty secret. There are still TMs who don't know they are married and ours is a small store. ;) Now that I am no longer Spotified, I go for drinks with the ETLs, but we cannot invite my favorite Senior TL. I have to drink with him separately. Silly, right?

The only way to tell if someone is drunk is by their actions because we aren't allowed to breathalyze our guests. If you act drunk, even if you are off the clock, you will get written up.

Team Members cannot fraternize with Team Leads who cannot fraternize with Senior TLs who cannot fraternize with ETLs. We had a TL marry a Senior TL and I'm guessing (hoping) there was some fraternization prior to the wedding, but they kept it pretty secret. There are still TMs who don't know they are married and ours is a small store. ;) Now that I am no longer Spotified, I go for drinks with the ETLs, but we cannot invite my favorite Senior TL. I have to drink with him separately. Silly, right?

The only way to tell if someone is drunk is by their actions because we aren't allowed to breathalyze our guests. If you act drunk, even if you are off the clock, you will get written up.

Sorry but if some busybody ETL were to write me & my TL friend up for drinking at a bar at 2am I think we would both just start laughing in that person's face & just take the write-up. Then proceed to start aggressively applying for new work and leave the shithole ASAP (which we both did!)

Fuck corporations that have shitty policies like this.

Coached ha!!! I believe you should be fired. Of all the things to do and places to go and act like a jackass why not pick a walmart or insert any other store with those damn carts why go to the one store you work at and have a reputation? Good luck with getting hours

Sorry but if some busybody ETL were to write me & my TL friend up for drinking at a bar at 2am I think we would both just start laughing in that person's face & just take the write-up. Then proceed to start aggressively applying for new work and leave the shithole ASAP (which we both did!)

Wait, so you were written up for living your normal life off the clock? What. The. Fuck????

Well, you're gonna be real busy fucking all the corporations that don't allow superiors to fraternize.

That was not allowed in either store I worked in.
We have one TL who has a child who works under her 50% of the time. We have a GSA who has a sibling who is a cashier. We have a now SrTL who has a sister (who lives with her) who is part of her department.

Honestly, if an etl tried to tell me what I can and cannot do with my life outside of work, I would walk out of the office while they were still talking. Who do they think they are trying to control what I do on my free time? That is the worst policy I have ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back