Archived Getting fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious how this is supposed to be handled officially, since Target has the conflicting directives of "there must always be a keyholder LOD on the premises while the store is open" and "hourly TLs must clock out for a 30 minute unpaid meal." So they're seemingly required to be in the building and be responsible while also not being paid for it.

Thank you! That's exactly my point. I'll be sure to update as soon as I find out what's going to happen

If you are on lunch and have to get a call, you do a punch correction. So, if i have to get 239, I add 15 minutes to my shift (more if it's longer, but it's usually just a quick phone call or 239.

I'm sure your store is in some hot water for not having another key carrier in the store to cover your break. Technically, when you're on your break, you're off the clock and not required to adhere to Target rules. Which is why your store is screwed for not having someone in the store to cover your break.

I'm sure your store is in some hot water for not having another key carrier in the store to cover your break. Technically, when you're on your break, you're off the clock and not required to adhere to Target rules. Which is why your store is screwed for not having someone in the store to cover your break.

We're a low volume store, so in many cases, there's only one key holder closing. I have been confused as to why the stl would schedule all SrTls/Etls to morning, except for one. So on the day of the incident, there was an Etl and SrTl who opened, and I closed by myself.

I'm in a LV store as well. Just because your store is LV doesn't mean Target doesn't have to follow the law (you taking an uninterrupted meal). There needs to be a mid scheduled to cover your break.

You should have 7 TMs capable of being LOD. That's 35 shifts and you only need 21 LOD shifts, so there is more than enough people to cover you.

I'm a SRTL at an ULV store-I work about 3-4 LOD shifts a week right now. There is rarely another key holder in the building when I close. I clock out for lunch, and if I get interrupted then when I clock back in from lunch, I just take the extra time for my lunch on the clock since I had to work during it. I know that I can't leave the property, and if I need to, I'll do a punch correction. I worked at a call center years ago and on the overnight shift you couldn't the building for your lunch-it's not that unusual to not be able to leave the premises on your lunch break, paid or unpaid.

I'm a SRTL at an ULV store-I work about 3-4 LOD shifts a week right now. There is rarely another key holder in the building when I close. I clock out for lunch, and if I get interrupted then when I clock back in from lunch, I just take the extra time for my lunch on the clock since I had to work during it.
The problem with that is if someone higher up wanted to get you in trouble, they could get you for working off the clock or time theft.

Just wondering how your stl knew you were out of the building ?.Not sure what the issue is.don't do it again and move on,the job is hard enough without introducing drama, so there is probably something going on here.Good luck with it,I can't see any reason you would be fired over this.

Just wondering how your stl knew you were out of the building ?.Not sure what the issue is.don't do it again and move on,the job is hard enough without introducing drama, so there is probably something going on here.Good luck with it,I can't see any reason you would be fired over this.
I assume the GSTL he told mentioned it so someone.

OP, if you ARE coached or some other disciplinary action ask them what you SHOULD have done to avoid this in the future.

So there was no ETL to give your keys to? Wouldn't the STL be basically getting themselves in trouble taking this to the HRBP?

The problem with that is if someone higher up wanted to get you in trouble, they could get you for working off the clock or time theft.
They could-but there's not much choice when your the only one in the store and someone needs a manager. It's a lose-lose situation

They could-but there's not much choice when your the only one in the store and someone needs a manager. It's a lose-lose situation
Exactly. And that is the problem.

The easy solution would be if only salaried management got those shifts without meal coverage.

UPDATE: I sat down with my STL today and he basically was just instructed to go over open/close LOD best practices. If it's a coaching, I'm not aware. But it's not a final warning or corrective action.

I think the HRBP knew that they couldn't legally fire me because I wasn't on the clock. So it won't happen again, obviously. But I had my moments of panic because my family needs the money. It won't happen again. And for the person who asked how my stl found out, I honestly don't care who told him. I own up to my mistakes, and that's another reason my stl hired me.

Thank you to everyone for your help and support. Honestly, most of you were able to help me calm down and feel better about the situation, so I was able to go in today and feel confident. You guys were awesome!

UPDATE #2:

I had my STL tell me today that he would like for me to be 11-730 on my weekends to brovide breaks and lunches for other SrTls, starting in July. I'm perfectly fine with this, but I'm assuming this comes from the HRBP mentioning lack of coverage, which is why I didn't get in trouble.

I don't feel like I've quite gotten the hang of being LOD, since I'm having to learn all of Target at once. So this works out perfectly for me!

UPDATE #2:

I had my STL tell me today that he would like for me to be 11-730 on my weekends to brovide breaks and lunches for other SrTls, starting in July. I'm perfectly fine with this, but I'm assuming this comes from the HRBP mentioning lack of coverage, which is why I didn't get in trouble.

I don't feel like I've quite gotten the hang of being LOD, since I'm having to learn all of Target at once. So this works out perfectly for me!
Silver lining for you.

UPDATE #2:

I am glad that everything turned out well for you. I also give you major credit for saying that you own up to your mistakes. Most people are ready to throw someone under the bus and run them over. Sounds like you will make a great leader .

Most people are ready to throw someone under the bus and run them over. Sounds like you will make a great leader .

Wow, thank you. That honestly means a lot to me! Because I'm an external, I'm struggling to understand so many of the processes. I'm sure it would be easier if I was learning them one work center at a time, but I'm learning literally everything at once. So I feel like I'm just not that great of a leader (at least not yet! Haha)

Edit: that's actually one reason I joined this forum, under a different screen name, so I could try to learn more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back