Archived Getting past a Final Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
So I mentioned in Chat earlier today that I was put on Final because I had uttered the B-word in front of some team members who apparently felt it offensive enough to go to the STL with and get me fired over. Even though this was a first offense, was never uttered in front of guests (just team members), I was told it would be a Final. They have not yet issued the write-up probably because they feel like making my life miserable. Granted, I should not have said it, but I don't feel like it warranted a Final at all. Not even a CA. But they don't care. This is my wake up call to get the hell out of Spot and look for other employment.

But until I find other employment, I am stuck here. I'm not happy about it, though. I don't feel comfortable being around my ETL or other ETLs/STL because I am certain they are judging me. After this I will never be considered for TL. Not like that was going to happen anyway but with this on my record, even the slimmest chance I may have had is for sure gone. I feel like a failure as a person and as a leader (GSA). I don't feel like there's any way to get past this. If I had another job right now, my 2 weeks would be in.

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with this? How to get past this?

You don't.

Sorry man but that's it.
Not only do you have the bosses who wrote you up to deal with but you have the TMs who reported you.
I don't know what the context was for the use of the word but whatever the situation the fact that they chose to complain about you means there are some issues there.

So you are stuck walking on eggshells, checking your back for daggers every time you turn around and parsing every word you say.
Get used to it.

Last edited:
At the very least, in some small act of protest, I will refuse to sign it since I don't believe it's the appropriate response for the action. I know it doesn't matter but I still won't sign it and give them that satisfaction.

It's just not right to put someone on an automatic Final for saying "bitches" under their breath.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that :( That's total shit and I know that's gotta hurt, especially being betrayed like that. But as shitty as what they did was, that doesn't at all mean you have failed as a leader. The best thing you can do until you snag a new job is to just walk in there like you do every day and do your business, and carry on like nothing ever happened, as hard as that may be. Don't let 'em win.

My store is doing the same thing on cuss, but with no write ups. Spot went after you, because you are a gsa & "represent" leadership.

Can anyone tell me if it is actually Target policy for a simple utterance of a single swear word -- not said to any guests but simply muttered under one's breath -- to be given an automatic Final? Is that *really* the policy? Because I just can't believe that. I was told the category for the Final is "Serious Offense." Is what I did really bad enough for a Serious Offense classification?

If there's even a smidgen of a chance I could prove they're going overboard here I would like to call the Hotline.

I don't know what the context was for the use of the word

The context is that a group of guests frustrated me and partly jokingly and partly out of frustration I called them bitches under my breath. Bosses claim it was extremely loud and that multiple people reported me but I find that hard to believe. I did not say it to the guests or to other team members. I said it to myself. I could see a FW for saying it directly to them but for getting a little heated in the moment and talking to myself? Really? Then of course the STL judges me and essentially questions whether I'm even fit to be a leader and then I start questioning my moral character. Even more frustrating, they choose to hit me with this not 30 mins into my 8-hour shift, and somehow expect me to be all sunshine smiles after assassinating my character.

Can anyone tell me if it is actually Target policy for a simple utterance of a single swear word -- not said to any guests but simply muttered under one's breath -- to be given an automatic Final? Is that *really* the policy? Because I just can't believe that. I was told the category for the Final is "Serious Offense." Is what I did really bad enough for a Serious Offense classification?

If there's even a smidgen of a chance I could prove they're going overboard here I would like to call the Hotline.
Ck your handbook, please. I can't find mine, at the moment. Document the events for the hotline call.

Gross misconduct maybe. You'll have to see how they structure the write up and what category it falls under. I cussed all the time in front of TMs, males only. Females tend to get offended from cuss words and seem more likely to report.

I don't feel it warrants anything more than a verbal warning. FW seems harsh

You have to see what they put down on the final.
How they phrase it is going to make the difference.
Your swearing can be turned into creating an uncomfortable work environment for the people who reported you which can be a final.
It's all in how they choose to word it, and if they want to screw you.

Oh and cussing at a leader can be automatic termination though. I've termed TMs for doing exactly that.

I know that's not what you did here but maybe they're trying to categorize this incident with that. Still seems harsh for swearing under your breath.

I have a feeling they're going to structure it as me creating an unsafe work environment for other TMs, but I feel like I could still challenge on that if I tried. Swearing under one's breath in one single instance is not that damaging to a workplace environment. Certainly not enough to justify a Final. At the very least I want this write up downgraded to a 6-month CCA. A Final is ridiculous and they know it.

I have been expressing how much I dislike the place lately to other TMs, and I'm sure it's possible they overheard me at one point. Of course I said those things off the clock. So if they can find one thing I said while working, then they can nail me. That's all this really is. My GSTL has called people crack whores under her breath. Of course no one put her on Final.

Actually, seems most likely it'll be "Disorderly Conduct" section c., which says something about obscene language directed towards guests or team members. And even though I didn't direct it to the guests in question, it was regarding them. I wonder how much the wording counts. If I said it under my breath, was I really 'directing' it to them?

@Flabbergasted , do NOT sign it. If for some reason they find a way to terminate you after the final warning takes place, you will have a case for unemployment. If you sign, it admits guilt.

If I remember right, this could fall under either detrimental behavior or disorderly conduct. We had a team member in the past who was put on a final for saying the word "fuck" on the phone while on lunch. She was off the clock, but another ream member heard it and complained.

The thing that sucks about all this-I have never had an ETL at a store that didn't cuss. Even STLs were guilty of it. Logistics ETLs are usually the most gritty on this, but also the most down to earth. How can you get in trouble for what others do? I never got that. I had a boss that wanted to bust me on saying damn, but she always tossed around the f bomb.

A TM on my Flow team was terminated for saying "I hate this ducking shit." He didn't say it to anyone or directly in front of anyone, but both the ETL-LOG and ETL-HR overheard him say it, and termed him on the spot. This event happened before the store even opened.

I got called a fat bitch by a CA (in front of other TMs) for complaining about him to the GSTL.
I'd asked him several times to empty the trash near the door & he said he'd 'get around to it', even when it was obvious he wasn't doing anything else.
Despite that, he got nothing more than a coaching.
In the words of the late Rodney Dangerfield, "I don't get no respect."
Oh wait......this is Target. nvm

I am nearly 100% certain if a cashier had did what I did, it would be a slap on the wrist coaching. But they won't admit that.

We've had ETLs say "shit," "fuck," and one who even jokingly encouraged two TMs to "punch each other in the face." We've had a GSTL refer to guests as "crack whores" and "ugly hoes" to an ETL. But I am the one who's getting written up. Fuck them.

@Flabbergasted , life at Target is unfair. Apply everywhere, and I mean everywhere you can! This gives you the upper hand, so your options are open. Also, just in case Target is building a case, you will have a way out. I hope nothing but the best for you! Just remember there is a reason for everything. Maybe it is time to shut the door of your life at Target. I can tell you it really does get better when you leave.

I was once written up for saying Fuck in front of another TM, the store wasn't even open. I was shocked since I thought we were friendly and I have heard the same word out of mouths of TLs and ETLs. That's the day I learned no one was my friend and no one is trust worthy.

I swear Target is like GoT just with less boobs.

@Flabbergasted: And you WILL be boxed in for the next year.
When you're on a final, you can't promote or move to another work station (unless they WANT you to).
Just remember that the walls have ears & trust no one.
On the flipside, put on an annoyingly perky facade & keep 'em guessing.

Yeah, I'm already aware that this blocks me from moving workcenters and promoting. It's fine. The raises aren't worth the shit I'd have to put up with and the assholes I'd have to lick. They can all go fuck themselves for screwing me like this.

This is beyond bad, it makes no sense. Who is the tm who would start something like this? It makes NO SENSE. How could they even say it to you with a srraight face? I am so upset for you. This is so out of line. I do know how you must feel and I hope you can get a positive resolution today. This really must be threat. We eill be thinking of you and we are all there in spirit sticking up for you. Head high! and good luck.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The FW still hasn't been delivered to me but I am already prepared to give them trouble when they do present it. I will refuse to sign it, which I understand doesn't mean anything (still annoys them a bit), I will challenge them on the ridiculousness of it being a Final fucking Warning, and I will point out that more people have done what I did and have never been written up for it. I am mad as hell and I want them to know it.

With ETLs who talk about Nazis, TLs who refer to guests as "crack whores," and corporate TMs who call people "fucking GSAs," with no corrective action issued against them, it's no wonder this company is going to hell. The only time they write people up anymore is when they want to get rid of them, as is clearly the case for me.

Soon -- but certainly not soon enough -- I will get the fuck out of this hellhole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back