Archived Getting Weekends Off..

Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard is it to get weekends off ? Do you have to be a team member for a certain length of time?
What exactly are the qualifications?

Are you talking about not being scheduled weekends at all or just requesting a weekend off now and then? Also what is your workcenter? Because if you are flow for example, leaving the team short staffed each weekend is probably going to need a good explanation.

It used to be Plano and Price Change got weekends off but in many stores that isn't even true any more.

By in large weekends are the busiest time and just about everybody is going to have to work at least one day.
An occasional weekend is possible but constantly?
Rots of ruck.

Depending how long you've worked there, what area you work in, and your stores leadership you could try asking for every other Saturday or Sunday off.

In retail you're expected to be available according to the needs of the store & weekends are ALWAYS busy.
Depending on your area, number of people on your team & their avail, the best you could hope for is maybe every other weekend off.
If you try to change your availability to avoid working weekends, at the very least it'll be denied.
At worst, your hrs will drop like a rock.

3 people in our backroom are no longer available on weekends because before one of our previous ETLs left they put in availability change request for it and the ETL approved it before they left.

Depends on the workcenter. Right after my first 90 days I changed my availability to have Sunday's off. At the time, I was only working flow and it was approved since we don't take a truck on Sunday's. I used the same reasoning to limit the rest of the week to 6-2:30.

A backroom day team member at my store doesn't work weekends or nights. I've always thought it was bullshit and completely unfair but my store sucks. Price change team members at my store are Monday thru fridayers. The SFT guy is a Monday thru Fridayer. My backroom team lead doesn't have to work Saturdays.

I didn't work any weekends the entire month of January, but that was because the seasonals we all still on and hours were beyond in the toilet.

If you need a weekend off every couple of months, depending on the time of year, it could happen. Sometimes you just get scheduled that way (they've given me three full weekends off this year).

When I started, quite a few people had weekends off and they only worked day shifts. Then, I think around my time starting or maybe before that, their hours dropped and they opened up the schedules. So it's possible for it to be approved, but your hours may be even less stable.

I was thinking about limiting my availability a bit (MT or ThF off) for doctor/dentist/shrink appointments and because I just hate when my days off aren't in a row, but my hours just went up again so I'm scared lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get alternating weekends.

When I started, quite a few people had weekends off and they only worked day shifts. Then, I think around my time starting or maybe before that, their hours dropped and they opened up the schedules. So it's possible for it to be approved, but your hours may be even less stable.

I was thinking about limiting my availability a bit (MT or ThF) for doctor/dentist/shrink appointments and because I just hate when my days off aren't in a row, but my hours just went up again so I'm scared lol
It used to bug me not getting 2 days off in a row, but I've actually learned to like have my days off spaced out

It used to bug me not getting 2 days off in a row, but I've actually learned to like have my days off spaced out

I still hate it lol. I always have things I wanna get done on one day, but then by the middle of the day I'm like "ugh I have to work in xx hours" and it takes me out of productivity mode so I never finish anything. When I have two days, I do the productivity junk on the first day then the whole second day is relaxing.

Or sometimes friends invite me to do something at night on a day off and I can't do it because I work the next morning and I don't wanna risk being tired.

Another reason.. Target almost never lets me off early the night before a day off. It's usually closing and then day off. So I sleep in on the day off and don't get any "me time."

You have a snowballs chance in hell, so you might as well ask. Just remember that for a lot of team members, twenty to fifty percent of their weekly paychecks come from working on the weekends so that could effect you since there are only so many hours to give out during the weekdays.

Even the suggestion of weekends off makes me laugh...you know what my store's ETL-HR says? If you're unavailable even one of those days, Saturday or Sunday (let alone BOTH days), you will not be hired. If you try to change your availability to be off one of those days, it will be denied. You can request them off every once and a while, but that's about it.

Ive asked off for a 4 day and 1 5 day vacation period. As well as 4 or 5 days off for medical, and a weekend off mext month for a wedding. This time of year they are most giving because thats easy hours cut. But come mayish and end of school it picks up so it can be harder depending on the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back