Archived Gift Cards!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So corporate thought today would be a good day to make us start scratching the silver off the back of gift cards to enter the 8 digit code. They also did not think there was any reason to let the GSTLs know about it because. Communication.

If the cashier or guest isn't very careful, they will accidentally scrape the number off and then the guest can't use the card.

Also, now when a guest buys a non Target gift card it takes forever. I've had guests give up and leave because it takes so long.

So corporate thought today would be a good day to make us start scratching the silver off the back of gift cards to enter the 8 digit code. They also did not think there was any reason to let the GSTLs know about it because. Communication.

For the longest time people were taking pics of serial codes and waiting for them to be loaded and spending them online.

We were giving people free gift cards to make up for their loss. Wonder if this is a way of combating that?

And if people leave because it takes too long (its not that bad) boo hoo. Such a shame they have to wait for anything.

Used a gift card today at SCO and didn't know why the GSA needed to come over and put in the access code. This will be fun for everyone the week after Christmas.

I had several very unhappy guests who have been using e-gift cards, just used them with no problems yesterday, and today couldn't use them because there's no access code on the redemption screen.

Some do, some don't. If there's no access code, there's nothing we can do at this point in time. My GSTL told people to feel free to call corporate and complain.

I had e gift cards scan just fine but walked into a clusterfuck of scraping silver to get to access codes. What the fuck was corporate thinking instituting this bullshit this morning and no one telling anyone??? What's the reasoning behind this extra step???

To be fair, there was a REDwire message about it yesterday. That's how Target communicates quick changes like this.

The problem is that no one checks it. And if they do check it, they don't tell anyone about it. And with a message like this, one person might check it (and possibly clear the message so it's gone), but it's something that almost the entire store needs to hear, which isn't going to happen. Someone needs to copy that message and send it to everyone in the store, tell all of those people to tell their teams, and clear the message. It still won't reach everyone, but there will always be communication gaps even if you personally go around telling everyone and mark them off of a list.

I have very very long fake nails so it wasn’t a problem for me lol took like 2 seconds to scratch it off

I have very very long fake nails so it wasn’t a problem for me lol took like 2 seconds to scratch it off
I was going to trim my fingernails tonight but now I don't want to because of this lolll

There was a Redwire about this. However, the Redwire came at such a short notice that I didn't have time to communicate with all my cashiers. Luckily it's common sense and most figure it out.

It is annoying through when it's packed.

No one told us and we figured it out on our own. Guess we all need to keep a coin on our registers for this reason.

Between this and the fact that our store no longer accepts Enfamil rebate checks because of fraud (which has apparently been in effect for a month but I didn't know until tonight), I suggested to my GSTL today that we get an announcement board for over the timeclock. Cashiers never get enough time away from registers to huddle, and there's a lot of important information that isn't being communicated to everyone because we aren't working on the day that the new policy takes place. We shall see what happens.

I was *told* that it was due to an increase in gift card fraud and was an extra layer of protection for guests during the holiday. Which implies it's a limited time thing.

What I don't understand is how typing in an access code that appears ON THE CARD is going to reduce fraud.

I was *told* that it was due to an increase in gift card fraud and was an extra layer of protection for guests during the holiday. Which implies it's a limited time thing.

What I don't understand is how typing in an access code that appears ON THE CARD is going to reduce fraud.
You can’t just take a pic of the barcode and put the card back and wait for someone to load it

Do we have to ask guests permission to scratch it?

Between this and the fact that our store no longer accepts Enfamil rebate checks because of fraud (which has apparently been in effect for a month but I didn't know until tonight), I suggested to my GSTL today that we get an announcement board for over the timeclock. Cashiers never get enough time away from registers to huddle, and there's a lot of important information that isn't being communicated to everyone because we aren't working on the day that the new policy takes place. We shall see what happens.

I like the idea of an announcement board

I like the idea of an announcement board
On the off chance that you’ll be able to get someone to update it, you’ll still have a hard time getting people to read it. But then people would have a harder time complaining about not being told anything.

On the off chance that you’ll be able to get someone to update it, you’ll still have a hard time getting people to read it. But then people would have a harder time complaining about not being told anything.

This we have a published huddle topics in tmsc. There are plenty who don't read it then want to plead ignorance or "nobody told me"

You can’t just take a pic of the barcode and put the card back and wait for someone to load it
Ah okay. I had not considered that possibility.

There are plenty who don't read it then want to plead ignorance or "nobody told me"
I've had jobs in the past with announcement boards, and it was made very clear to all staff that we were expected to read that board before every shift to be kept informed of updates. Items were left up for 2 weeks to ensure that everyone who was not out on extended vacations or leaves of absence had time to become educated. I assume these memos were archived for future reference. If you didn't read and played the "nobody told me" card when you were caught in violation of one of these changed policies, you were written up.

This we have a published huddle topics in tmsc. There are plenty who don't read it then want to plead ignorance or "nobody told me"
Well, if I stay back in TSC reading memos, I catch flack for not promptly heading to the front end after I've punched in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back