Archived Gone from Target after almost 26 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

I hate to say this, but I think this is one of the happiest days of my life, as I am no longer at Target. Just really tired of running the entire floor at an ULV GM store (I don't feel like I have ownership over anything) and I don't come to work the same passion I had in the past. Not 100% sold on E2E and not sure if I would be ready for some of the changes that are happening next year. I knew this day was coming but was hoping to have had another job already lined up by now. As I knew in advance what was happening I put little effort into my leadership role (especially around performance management - coachings/CCAs). In any event, all of my bills are paid up and I am in a happy place right now. I do have a few leads out there, including one for a management position at a natural grocery store in town, as one of my previous team leads is moving to run his own store out of state.

Goodbye and good luck to everyone still at Target.
AmICrazy? No, as I am moving on after only 25 years, 11 months, and 10 days.

Hopefully you have a sizable 401k built up. I hope to stay at spot just a long as you did, best of luck.
how can you have any sizable income saved up to live on for 20 + years??

lets say you save 5% every pay thats about 23 dollars a pay and lets say target matches that 100% so that would be 46 dollars per pay times 26 pays per year = $1,196 per year.
now you invest wisely and get about a 8% return every year ....

after 26 years ... you will have saved about $120K before TAXES ... yes this is a lot and great to have,
better than nothing but it will go quickly, once you have no income and the only other
money coming in is social security.

Man that's a hell of a long time, I was 4 when you started lol. Back then I think the closest Target to my town was 300 miles away.

Good luck to you as well.

lets say you save 5% every pay thats about 23 dollars a pay and lets say target matches that 100% so that would be 46 dollars per pay times 26 pays per year = $1,196 per year.
now you invest wisely and get about a 8% return every year ....

after 26 years ... you will have saved about $120K before TAXES ... yes this is a lot and great to have,
better than nothing but it will go quickly, once you have no income and the only other
money coming in is social security.

Not everyone is the same. I saved 15% per paycheck for my time at Target, along with the company match and stocks doing well. I also dumped all my Target company stock when I felt the shit hitting the fan a few years ago and saved money that way. It's not hard at all to be at 600K+ in 25 years especially if they had a lot of early investments in the 90's.

If you Max out your 401k and invest in an IRA, and have a spouse/partner that does the same thing, it's very reasonable to expect to have a comfortable retirement. Plus the OP was likely at Spot long enough to have the Spot Funded pension. I have a regular at my store who has the pension and she mentions how grateful she is to have her discount and her pension.

If you Max out your 401k and invest in an IRA, and have a spouse/partner that does the same thing, it's very reasonable to expect to have a comfortable retirement. Plus the OP was likely at Spot long enough to have the Spot Funded pension. I have a regular at my store who has the pension and she mentions how grateful she is to have her discount and her pension.
My mom has a pension from a cashier job she had a grocery store and gets $99 a month. She uses that as her mad money, as my dad did well working for a railroad and saved more than he spent. My mom never got a discount at the grocery store, unless she bought something on sale. Now she does not even shop at the store she worked at, as it was sold to another company and it has gone down hill big time.

itsajob

I can say I just started a new job last Thursday where I am making nothing close to what I was at Target and I am physically exhausted, but mentally I am great. I am getting a better nights sleep than I did the last few months while at Redsville. Also, I have a job where I don't get interrupted by backup cashier calls or requests for carts (neither are in the collective bargaining agreement for my department). Also, I have heard so many great compliments about the cleanliness, variety, and freshness of my department (I had not heard anything like that in while back at the spot). While today was only day 3 (not including a computer training day) I am proud to work someplace where we are appreciated for the great things that we do, both by the customers and management. Lastly for once being a follower is even nicer than being a leader and if I can remember to ask I will get my own personal set of keys to bailer/compactor.

I do need to stop into Target to say goodbye to a team member that is retiring after 9 years.

AmIcrazy? My body says yes and bank account says maybe, but my mind says no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back