Logistics Good and Gather water PIPO

Luck

The one and only SCTMā„¢
Every once in awhile it is worth sending out a PSA for our newer friends that the DC does not build and wrap PIPO.
PIPO stands for "Pallet in, pallet out" because we dont touch em šŸ˜

Please direct all complaints on mySupport about the blue G&G pallets to HQ, not the DC. They are the ones who told the vendor packaging our branded water to cheap out on the plastic wrap šŸ˜‰

.. but you guys do double stack water PIPOs, causing both pallets to break apart in transport. If they got to the DC just fine, but broke down on their way to the store, it's clearly the DC's fault.
Please be specific with your claims. If you mean double stack water pipo as in one water on top of another, this is an issue, should not be done, and should be reported.

If you mean paper towel on top of water, this is standard work and entirely fine. Has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Trust me, we get enough complaints the pallets have nearly fallen apart even when they are loaded on their own at the end of the trailer.

The pallets arrive at the DC fine because they are tightly loaded together and cushioned with essentially balloons.

The alternative is we go back to loading pallets into carton walls, and we will get just as many complaints about doing that too.

Ask yourself if other brand of water pallets regularly arrive at the store falling apart like this. I already know the answer, it is no.

The problem is not our process, it is the HQ decision to pinch pennies on the shrink wrap.

mySupport claims sent to the DC do nothing. If you want the issue fixed, direct them to HQ.

Maybe it's my DC, but any reason why the purified/distilled gallons often have excess amounts of water below the gallons? None of the bottles themselves are leaking. Have to take a roll of paper towels with me to push every time.

Maybe it's my DC, but any reason why the purified/distilled gallons often have excess amounts of water below the gallons? None of the bottles themselves are leaking. Have to take a roll of paper towels with me to push every time.
Show me exactly which ones you are talking about. Are you sure one of them isnt leaking? Sometimes it is a very small crack slowly letting water escape. Is the excess water underneath being found on the trailer?

90% of the time, thatā€™s because of a leaking jug, butā€¦
Depending on temp, humidity, and how a pallet is wrapped sometimes condensation will build up on the bottles enough to form a small pool and make all of the boxes feel damp/weak. Happens more with pallets that are both shrink wrapped and have the plastic film on the top.
Could also be that the pallet was leaked on by either another pallet, rain from a leaky trailer, etc.
Or the pallet couldā€™ve arrived at the DC tipped or with a leaking jug on it, but when it was rebuilt the TM removed the leaking box and replaced it with a box that wasnā€™t, moving all of the damaged ones to 1 pallet to damage out while sending as many pallets as possible through.

Please be specific with your claims.
Things like pallets of cat litter, bikes, and Frank's hot sauce on top of paper PIPOs or Poland Spring PIPOs on top of G&G PIPOs (which just crushes the G&G PIPO). And no, they are not loaded at either end of the truck, but throughout the truck still. No load bars, broken bottles of detergent, bulk pet food stacked on top of a single pallet with no cardboard barrier (not sure what best practice is for DCs, but grabbing pallets like that with a jack just rips open the bags that slip through the wood). My favorite is when bulk items aren't even palletized, but stacked on top of case freight. Even better than televisions are part of that stack, because everything shifts when there isn't a load bar and the TVs end up laying diagonal with 50lbs.+ stacked on top of them.

Or when you have bulk freight on the BOL, but it isn't physically on the trailer because the DC "ran out of room", so it comes on the next trailer instead. You guys know those things drop into fulfillment batches, right? It hurts our metrics when it's supposed to be in the building, but isn't. God forbid we make a mistake on our merchandise transfers though.

I'm not trying to throw blame on you. Shit just is what it is sometimes, but DCs really do get away with murder. If we load sweeps wrong, you can reject them or just send it all back to us on the next truck. If the DC fucks up a trailer, too bad. The store has to take it.
Same with STS. Countless times we've had trailers just not arrive at the store. We'd make a call to see where they are and are told "no one knows". How is it in any way justifiable that a trailer loaded with hundreds of thousands of dollars in merchandise is missing for any period of time? If store TMs lose a single Zebra device for a day, they get coached.

Last edited:
None of those are related to the G&G water situation, which is a known problem with the quality of the plastic wrap used by the vendor that cannot be resolved DC side and stores need to be mySupporting the issue to HQ, not us.

Poor load issue are poor load issues, but even when loaded properly the G&G waters fall apart in transit.

We don't control where mySupports get directed thanks to the lovely chatbot that's designed to keep you from actually submitting an issue.

We don't control where mySupports get directed thanks to the lovely chatbot that's designed to keep you from actually submitting an issue.
All I know is selecting "pallet stacking" as your issue does nothing. Nor does marking it as a spill. Try communicating it outside of mySupport. All this has been doing is making it harder to respond to actual issues with trailers.

All I know is selecting "pallet stacking" as your issue does nothing. Nor does marking it as a spill. Try communicating it outside of mySupport. All this has been doing is making it harder to respond to actual issues with trailers.
What is actually the best way to mysupport trailer issues that will actually get them resolved. I mysupport almost every trailer I receive for a few main reasons

1) no load bar
2) load bar used but the way it's placed makes it essentially useless
3) unsafe stacking - usually team lifts above waist level or stupid pallet stacking
4) pallets loaded on whatever side of the trailer they feel like loading them on - to my understanding they're all supposed to be loaded on either the right or the left to minimize time spent moving around the rollers store side while unloading. Correct me if I'm wrong
5) bottle of laundry detergent/fabric softener loaded upside down at the bottom of a wall of freight - this specific issue has caused a huge mess in like 5 trailers in the past 2 months (and I only run unload once a week) and a lot of damaged freight. Literally the busted laundry detergent will be coating a quarter of the boxes in the trailer when this happens.

Never see anything improve other than a "oh we've contacted the DC and are working on a resolution".

4) pallets loaded on whatever side of the trailer they feel like loading them on - to my understanding they're all supposed to be loaded on either the right or the left to minimize time spent moving around the rollers store side while unloading. Correct me if I'm wrong
I think they're supposed to be loaded all to the front or back rather than to one side (loading them all on one side is dangerous for the driver since it makes the trailer unbalanced), but they don't do that either.

What is actually the best way to mysupport trailer issues that will actually get them resolved. I mysupport almost every trailer I receive for a few main reasons

1) no load bar
2) load bar used but the way it's placed makes it essentially useless
3) unsafe stacking - usually team lifts above waist level or stupid pallet stacking
5) bottle of laundry detergent/fabric softener loaded upside down at the bottom of a wall of freight - this specific issue has caused a huge mess in like 5 trailers in the past 2 months (and I only run unload once a week) and a lot of damaged freight. Literally the busted laundry detergent will be coating a quarter of the boxes in the trailer when this happens.

Never see anything improve other than a "oh we've contacted the DC and are working on a resolution".
1. This issue has to do with loadbars being impossible to come by. We simply do not have any.

2. This answer also affects part 1, but Target new trailers are a few inches wider than the old ones and many of the load bars we do have will not properly extended making them worthless. Chances are they tried their best but the load bar slid in transit because it isnt long enough to tension properly.

3. Team lift above wait is not an issue in of itself. Unsafe stacking is too broad to give a real answer. Just keep in mind with the pandemic Target HQ took over hiring and so the DC has no say in who gets hired. Many people in OB have zero experience and put no effort into the job and yet the DCs are told not to fire anybody for skill reasons because what if another wave of covid hits.

4. This is not a thing anymore. It went away with pallet grouping.
I think they're supposed to be loaded all to the front or back rather than to one side (loading them all on one side is dangerous for the driver since it makes the trailer unbalanced), but they don't do that either.
This is correct but incomplete. The ideal is to only load at the nose and tail of a trailer. But we have limited space and so pipo may be loading intermittently in the middle of the trailer as well. Technically the theeshold is supposed to be 6, there should only be pipo in the middle if it is a group of 6 or more pallets.

Some other reasons pipo will be loaded mid trailer is if it is water, for weight reasons. Water pipo is to be loaded 2 in the nose, 2 in the tail, and 4 in the middle of the trailer. If you come across a water pipo or two in the middle of the trailer this is done intentionally and is correct.

Another point to note here is that pallet=/=pipo. Dog food and non-conbeyable boxes are loading on a pallet as soon as the pallet is full. We actually tried holding off on the dog food pallets but ended up forced to load them in walls because stores complained they would fall apart in-transit.
Of course now we get complaints dog food pallets are loaded in walls instead. No winning.

Lastly it is worth mentioning trailer loading is a live and dynamic process. Plenty of times a trailer is supposed to close early but then after the pipo is loaded dispatch communicates your store has cancelled the force close (usually because the store has a trailer they werent able to unload already), or the trailer is still so empty they decide to hold off on closing it for a few hours and so we have to make due the best we can continuing to load it. Among other similar potential cases like this.

5. Issues like these are real issues and provided the store sends information properly (we need the carton ID of the box and a picture) feedback is given to the TM who did it.
But then, if that TM really gives a shit would they have made that mistake in the first place? Probably not. Right back to the issue with TMs not really being able to be fired for being bad & lazy workers.

1. This issue has to do with loadbars being impossible to come by. We simply do not have any.

2. This answer also affects part 1, but Target new trailers are a few inches wider than the old ones and many of the load bars we do have will not properly extended making them worthless. Chances are they tried their best but the load bar slid in transit because it isnt long enough to tension properly.

3. Team lift above wait is not an issue in of itself. Unsafe stacking is too broad to give a real answer. Just keep in mind with the pandemic Target HQ took over hiring and so the DC has no say in who gets hired. Many people in OB have zero experience and put no effort into the job and yet the DCs are told not to fire anybody for skill reasons because what if another wave of covid hits.

4. This is not a thing anymore. It went away with pallet grouping.

This is correct but incomplete. The ideal is to only load at the nose and tail of a trailer. But we have limited space and so pipo may be loading intermittently in the middle of the trailer as well. Technically the theeshold is supposed to be 6, there should only be pipo in the middle if it is a group of 6 or more pallets.

Some other reasons pipo will be loaded mid trailer is if it is water, for weight reasons. Water pipo is to be loaded 2 in the nose, 2 in the tail, and 4 in the middle of the trailer. If you come across a water pipo or two in the middle of the trailer this is done intentionally and is correct.

Another point to note here is that pallet=/=pipo. Dog food and non-conbeyable boxes are loading on a pallet as soon as the pallet is full. We actually tried holding off on the dog food pallets but ended up forced to load them in walls because stores complained they would fall apart in-transit.
Of course now we get complaints dog food pallets are loaded in walls instead. No winning.

Lastly it is worth mentioning trailer loading is a live and dynamic process. Plenty of times a trailer is supposed to close early but then after the pipo is loaded dispatch communicates your store has cancelled the force close (usually because the store has a trailer they werent able to unload already), or the trailer is still so empty they decide to hold off on closing it for a few hours and so we have to make due the best we can continuing to load it. Among other similar potential cases like this.

5. Issues like these are real issues and provided the store sends information properly (we need the carton ID of the box and a picture) feedback is given to the TM who did it.
But then, if that TM really gives a shit would they have made that mistake in the first place? Probably not. Right back to the issue with TMs not really being able to be fired for being bad & lazy workers.
Thanks this has been really helpful info!

Regarding number 5, do you need the carton ID from the specific container that was loaded improperly or will any carton from the trailer do? I've been scanning any carton ID within eyesight just because it's easier but if there's a way to track what team member loads a specific carton I can scan it - I assumed that one team member loaded an entire trailer by themselves but I could be wrong. Seriously, the laundry detergent thing is out of hand. A couple of weeks ago we had another laundry detergent issue, but instead of the box being loaded upside down at the bottom of a wall, one of the containers of laundry detergent had come out of the container and whatever idiot was loading it decided to take the one loose container of laundry detergent and load it on its side in the middle of the wall.

Yeah, this is something that really needs to be communicated (the water PIPO going in the middle), all we get if we mySupport any load issue at all is "the DC is no longer using the pallet side grouping process..." which helps nobody. I assume it's automated because it happens within minutes of mySupporting it, but who knows. The pallets like dog food don't really matter since we rearrange those on the trailer and send a lot of technically non-conveyable stuff down the line anyway (at least at my store), but when it's something like paper or a full, wrapped skid of furniture, cat litter, etc, that's when it's a problem since we have to stop the unload, clear the line, pull the entire line out, and get the pallet out before we can continue, so it ends up being like a 10min interruption.

I'm amazed that you have that many stores cancel trailers so they keep being loaded, for us it's basically the worst thing you can do to cancel a truck, and is the last thing we'd be allowed to consider if we got behind.

Yeah, this is something that really needs to be communicated (the water PIPO going in the middle), all we get if we mySupport any load issue at all is "the DC is no longer using the pallet side grouping process..." which helps nobody. I assume it's automated because it happens within minutes of mySupporting it, but who knows. The pallets like dog food don't really matter since we rearrange those on the trailer and send a lot of technically non-conveyable stuff down the line anyway (at least at my store), but when it's something like paper or a full, wrapped skid of furniture, cat litter, etc, that's when it's a problem since we have to stop the unload, clear the line, pull the entire line out, and get the pallet out before we can continue, so it ends up being like a 10min interruption.

I'm amazed that you have that many stores cancel trailers so they keep being loaded, for us it's basically the worst thing you can do to cancel a truck, and is the last thing we'd be allowed to consider if we got behind.
Why do you need to take the entire line out of the truck to get a pallet out?

Yes that is an automated response. You can see who responded to you in mySupport, did you know?

Cancelling a truck on your end isnt the same as cancelling a truck on our end. We never stop loading cartons for your store. The only difference is if we do it on trailer A or trailer B.

Every trailer can be closed two most common ways, one on a routine schedule and the other if the trailer is full. Some others include weight concerns, weather considerations, extreme quantities of pipo (have sent entire trailers of almost nothing but pipo before), and seasonal trailers like Super Crazy Targets getting trailers dedicated to BTS product that may only fill up 3/4 of the way before the TR drop ends.

Anyway, if a trailer is only half full, your store may decide to not accept it and request it continue being filled either until completely full, or just wait a few hours longer.

But we may also litteraly just already have 2 full trailers for your store already sitting in the yard waiting.

So in both of those cases your store would still accept a trailer from the DC the next day without cancelling as in "not receiving a trailer", but Outbound in the DC may have had to cancell a trailer close they were scheduled to do to wait until later.

Why do you need to take the entire line out of the truck to get a pallet out?
If I had to guess, their store is one of the ones that unloads at a 90Ā° and those setups make taking PIPO out a real pain in the ass. Otherwise unless they are trying to use electric pallets jacks and/or the Crown inside the trailer it shouldnt really be necessary imo. Just push it to one side and call it good.

My store unloads at a 90 and its probably even easier. Idk maybe they just have a very crowded area at the mouth of the truck

Yeah, our sort line is perpendicular to the trailer, and even if you push the line all the way to one side, there's generally not room to get a pallet out.

Back