Archived Got offered a full-time job for the summer; how should I make my availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just returned from LOA and I’ve just come back to work at Target. I’m a front end TM.

My second job where I worked last summer hired me back for the summer full-time (40 hours/week) with the possibility of continued employment depending on my life plans. When I worked there last summer I worked there 30 hours a week and I worked at Target evenings and weekends. Exhausting but absolutely worth it.

I’ll need to change my availability soon to reflect my new schedule. I want to make as much as possible this summer and I’m thinking of leaving my evening and weekend availability. However I feel like it might be too much and I’ll just work at Target on the weekends. I don’t want to quit right now because I want to save as much as possible this summer. I plan to quit once summer is over.

Advice?

I don't have much advice that isn't obvious: you can talk to your EHR or someone related about your plans. That old schedule doesn't seem worth it to me personally, unless you are financially holding on by a thread... but to each their own.

At my store they want people to have two weekdays with a minimum 4 hours available and fully open Sat/Sun for the most basic availability. But please partner with your TL to see what they need. Let them know you want to see how it works with M-F there and weekends at Target and if it’s all going well you’d like to have the opportunity to pick up shifts on the swap sheet. That shows a desire to still work at Target and a willingness to work with guests needs in mind. Sometimes you have to choke down a little kool-aid to look like a team player, it’s bitter but effective.

We have a TM that works a few hours on Saturday and Sunday, every other weekend. He's been with Spot for over 5 years, though, and had been full-time until about a year ago when he got a full-time job elsewhere.

Last edited:
The way things are these days it may entirely depend on how well your bosses like you, tbh, as to what they'll approve. My store is more likely to approve someone who will work sometime on the weekend at least, since that's when people usually want off. Also, even if it's not true I'd say lie and tell the higher ups the new job is in your degree field, or make it sound like you're moving full time to "bigger and better things" or an unmissable opportunity. ASANTS but in my experience they tend to be more supportive in those cases than when the implication comes off as "this job sucks so I'm going anywhere else but here." Even if that's the truth, lol.

Thanks everyone. I haven't talked to leadership yet (I haven't even been at the store since Saturday). tbh after receiving my first full schedule and being disappointed at getting fewer hours than I'm used to, and also starting my new job working fulltime I am about done with Spot. Sometime in the next few months I will put in my two weeks, especially if my other job takes me on permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back