Archived GSA Development Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I’m new to the forums and am a GSTL in my store. I’ve recently seemed advice from my ETL GE and another ETL whim I trust at my store about how to develop my gsas and get my fellow GSTL to hop on board and assist with the metrics. I am currently heralded as the top GSTL at my store in a store where we have quite a lot of issues. I account for most of our NPS surveys and serve as redcard captain where my team and I account for 53% of all redcards and we have 2 GSTLS and 5 GSAs. I was told that I am a top performer and top talent, but the one thing that’s holding me back from a senior position is influence. I develop cashiers well, but I have yet to influence my fellow leaders up front in regards to metrics. How should I go about developing my gsas, what tips and tricks have y’all used to develop your team? Also, how to I go about talking to my fellow GSTL and telling him to step up and follow my lead without stepping on his toes?

Thanks for all the help!! Really excited to join the forums!!

Welcome! Effective Communication of expectations, goals & supporting your team. Make them feel important ti achieve a common goal. Encourage them to suggest how to make more sales, guests, etc. be open minded to learn & listen to them.

Everything @Hardlinesmaster said. It’s easy for a GSA to fall in to a day-in day-out routine. Talk to them and get them involved with your goals and betterment of the store. Recognize their achievements and find out what their goals are and how they plan on solving them.

Your ETL needs to be actively involved in the development of your peer. It's probably too uncomfortable for them and they are pushing it off on you. I've been there and done that multiple times and if the peer doesn't want to change, there is nothing you can do without making yourself look bad.

As a GSA, I agree with @SrTLall re: the ETL/Leader (I'm slashing titles until this pilot is no longer a pilot; it may look very different in a year) needing to be involved. Ours isn't, and that's disheartening. Make sure the message is consistent. Be consistent yourself; getting multiple directives from the ETL and different GSTLs is not only confusing, but demoralizing. If you're having a bad day, don't take it out on them. Lead with positivity and constructive feedback, not veiled threats. ASK your GSA where they think their development is lacking; you may be surprised at what you learn. Then do what you can to help them plug those holes, while encouraging them to own their process.

Last edited:
My biggest problem with my GSA's is not initiative. End cap is empty they leave it that way. Someone forgot to stock receipt tape then do it yourself. Hold the cashiers accountable for red cards but appreciate when they do. I make it a huge deal when they get one and my GSAs are like "oh you got red card" They are not afraid to send the cashier getting more cards to a more populated part of the front end. I could go on but also train them on what your tasks are. The more self efficient they are the more developed they will be.

My biggest problem with my GSA's is not initiative. End cap is empty they leave it that way. Someone forgot to stock receipt tape then do it yourself. Hold the cashiers accountable for red cards but appreciate when they do. I make it a huge deal when they get one and my GSAs are like "oh you got red card" They are not afraid to send the cashier getting more cards to a more populated part of the front end. I could go on but also train them on what your tasks are. The more self efficient they are the more developed they will be.

We have one like that. One of my peers and I are always cleaning up after her.

You sound like a great GSTL/Service and Engagement Lead. May I come to your store?

We have one like that. One of my peers and I are always cleaning up after her.

You sound like a great GSTL/Service and Engagement Lead. May I come to your store?

Thanks I tried but I'm no longer a gstl. Maybe someday

Help them build their confidence in their business. An effective GSA/GSTL is one that can make business calls without having to go to their ETL every time. Teach them to use the tools at their disposal before going to your ETL. At the end of the day your ETL is going to trust the GSTL/GSA that is more independent more than the GSTL/GSA that calls them constantly on the walkie because they're too worried about being right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back