Archived GSA vs. PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camacho21

Mr. Front End
Hey guys! So I have a dilemma. My ETL SF had talked to me about being a PA once the current PA gets a TL position, however that can take months as there is no current TL spot open. Today the ETL GE offered me a GSA position since our current GSA just put her 2 weeks in so I'd be starting immediately. I want to know what you guys think, anything helps!

GSAs get paid less than some normal TMs like Flow and PA. I would either wait for a PA or move to Logictics because once you're a GSA, it'll be hard to most to PA

Eh. I've never worked in market, but PA is probably the more enjoyable position, for most people. I don't think either is necessarily easy, but I think PA is easier, at least in the sense of having to put up with much less guest bullshit if not actually easier to perform the required tasks.

GSAs get paid less than some normal TMs like Flow and PA. I would either wait for a PA or move to Logictics because once you're a GSA, it'll be hard to most to PA

In regards to pay that depends on the store. IIRC GSA is N07, PA is N09, Flow is N07, but flow gets the overnight differential. In my store though GSA seems to come with a manual raise, as in - higher base wage than other N07 positions, like stabucks, so at least in my store I do not believe the PA's make more money than me, I do think Flow likely do make more than me though, but only because of the overnight differential.

I think if you told them that you'd be willing to GSA for the time being, but that you were still interested in he PA position down the line though that they'd be willing to let you GSA till a PA position opened, and then switch to being a PA if you decided you didn't enjoy being a GSA. Or, at least my store would let me switch from GSA to PA if I asked to do so - of that I am positive.

I thought GSA was N05.

No, Food Ave is the only front-end position that is N05.

Front end wages at my store:

Cashier - N03 - $9.00
Food Ave - N05 - $9.25
Starbucks - N07 - $9.50
GSA - N07 - $10.00

Not sure why GSA is above starbucks in my store despite same paygrade, but it is. (I do think GSA should pay better than starbucks, but it doesn't seem to be the case for most stores).

To add to what HLM said, ask yourself if you have thick skin and can handle the abuse from guests. Because as a GSA, you are the person who has to resolve price challenges, complaints, complex returns, and the like. So to survive, you need to have thick skin and a strong back-bone.

To add to what HLM said, ask yourself if you have thick skin and can handle the abuse from guests. Because as a GSA, you are the person who has to resolve price challenges, complaints, complex returns, and the like. So to survive, you need to have thick skin and a strong back-bone.
I worked at guest service my first 3 months so I know what it's like and how bad it can be however I think I can handle most situations.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm leaning more torwards gsa but I'll still have to think a lot about it.

Questions to ask?
Gsa:
Are you guest friendly? Get red cards? Drive your team?
Pa:
Sales driven? Detail oriented? Self motivated?

^THIS. When I look at a 'good GSA' in our store, I'm looking for somebody who's a guest service powerhouse. They're constantly soliciting feedback to team members, motivating them to provide great service and talk about the REDcard, can be an authoritative decision maker, and can resolve escalated guest concerns quickly and with ease. I want somebody who can mann the checklanes, drive service, manage the dozen-or-so team members that are working for you at that time, and ultimately make sure our guests leave with a good impression of our store, culture, and service.

When we look at a 'good PA', from the understanding of what our consumables TL looks for, is somebody who is logistics and process focused. Are you going to lead a fast and efficient FDC truck? Are you going to drive for FIFO'd perishables? Drive for amazing merchandizing that minimizes dollar amounts of food that goes bad before it's sold?

Both jobs have quite a bit of pressure put on them, because if you're a GSA you're going to be the GSTL's right hand, and if you're a PA you're the CTL's right hand.
I'd say another big difference to think about; Target is putting an enormous focus on our service and our GE experience, and GSA falls more directly under that. So "the spotlight" will pretty frequently be on you and the front end team, so to speak. PA obviously comes with a lot of pressures to, but I'm not as familiar with it. I know ours spends the majority of his day f**king around and doing things he shouldn't be doing (-_-).

On the subject of paygrades.... GSA is N07, PA is N09. So PA, according to the standard target payscale, would be .25 more than GSA. It's a difference, but even if you're working 40 hr's/week that's still only a difference of about $40/month before taxes. So, in my opinion, I wouldn't make the pay your primary reason for going with one over the other.

I've been in both the GSA and GSTL roles for several years in multiple stores. If you have any questions about what the GSA position might look like, my inbox is wide open!

@Retail Girl is also a strong (and more importantly, long-standing in the position) GSA on this forum, she would be a great resource as well.

Hopefully this helped a little bit! Again, let me know if you have any questions about the GSA role.
-PTS

Last edited:
Thank you so much! That really opens my understanding of both and what is expected. Just one question, how much of the red card responsibility falls on the GSA? Is the job dependent on that?

Thank you so much! That really opens my understanding of both and what is expected. Just one question, how much of the red card responsibility falls on the GSA? Is the job dependent on that?
100% & yes. It can make you or break you.
One more question, how many red cards have you gotten personally?

Your gstl's neck is more on the line than yours. But they will be looking to make sure you are driving redcards and that the cashiers are getting redcards on your shifts. It's hard, because you don't have the authority to hold their feet to the fire and ask, so you are dependent on your GSTL and ETL to do this....but if they won't follow up, then you end up between a rock and a hard place.

And we are now about to be in a very rough time of year for redcards.

They're both roles in which you can move up if you have the support and work ethic, it just depends on what kind of role you're looking to have. Given the descriptions others have given, one should stick out in your mind more. If you don't think you're cut out for one, save yourself the headache and choose the other. I wouldn't squander an opportunity to move up, though.

The thing I dislike most about the GSA/GSTL position, is that you're the most recognizable "manager", in the store. Guests instantly assume you are THE manager when you're watching the lanes. I just can't deal with that many complaints in a day.

No, Food Ave is the only front-end position that is N05.

Photo Lab TM is N05, as well. It's normal not to have heard this because most stores don't use the Photo paygrade and just make their SDTM's manage the lab under Service Desk. It's under Specialty, though, even though Workbench has it listed as Front-End.

Photo Lab TM is N05, as well. It's normal not to have heard this because most stores don't use the Photo paygrade and just make their SDTM's manage the lab under Service Desk. It's under Specialty, though, even though Workbench has it listed as Front-End.

Yeah, our Photo Lab is like 10 feet from the Service Desk, so we've always been responsible for it.

I have worked both market and front end as a TL. I vote market . Front end is not as exciting as market, IMO. I have since left Target due to knee surgery but miss it a lot. Go market! More money too. Negotiating salary also helps. Don't be shy. I was offered 25 cent increase for GSA and ended up earning $15 as TL.

The initial pay difference might not be much, but your raise in May is a percentage off what you make...

As gsa you need to make Redcards happen. 4 a week unless you are ulv is pretty low for my Redcard rockstars. My gs rockstar does that many most days. You need to motivate dozens of tms to do the same. Plus juggle backups and break coverage, survey scores, etc. All while others pressure you for metrics to be green.

As pa you have lots to juggle but the spotlight isn't on you as much. It's more like slinking in the shadows till a steritech visit. Food trucks, expiration dates, vendors, sales planners...but as long as it gets done in a timely manner you are unlikely to get hassled.

For my store it's fifty cents more for pa than gsa. A dollar above base pay.

I really enjoyed my time as a PA. As a PA, you have a lot on your plate. You work independently from most of the store and no one knows just what it is you do during your day. One of the nicest things about Perishables is that leadership will mostly leave you alone to complete your tasks and you don't have to back up cashier unless your store is insanely busy.

They can both be stressful roles. Pa's have to work super hard because of the physical workload. Gsa's have to work hard motivating cashiers and pleasing guests.

The most rewarding thing to me is coming home from being a PA and being dead ass tired. I enjoy physical labour, and I couldn't handle GSA because of that.

GSA gets a lot less pressure regarding redcards than GSTL. Not saying redcards aen't a concern for GSA, but the

Ah, right, my store has only a photo kiosk, so didn't think of that at all.

Yes. Soliciting and promoting the REDcard is a core role for everyone who processes guest transactions. Every store is different.. But we hold GSA's accountable for driving REDcards and conversion when they're running the lanes. I'm responsible for driving it no matter where I'm working or what I'm doing, GSA's aren't held as accountable when they're not scheduled as "GSA/GSTL," but again every store is different so that might not be the case for you.

We're a super high volume store, so driving the REDcard is usually placed on the person running the lanes during that shift. Whether it's a GSTL or a GSA. When I'm not running the lanes and the GSA is responsible for driving conversion on the floor, I'm using the cashier service report to have coaching conversations with under-performing team members and driving red cards that way. Our rockstar GSA's teach-and-train the team, and if that doesn't work I teach-train-and-coach them.
Of course, I do have 2-3 shifts a week (and if we're being honest it turns out to be a lot more than what we plan in the schedule) where I'm on the floor running the check lanes and driving REDcards the same way a GSA would. I'm just pointing out some of the differences that you might see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back