Archived GSAs, Share your Open/Closing Routines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use what's left of the change fund from the day. Some days I can't fill them all up, but I do what I can.

I'd get reamed for this at my store, both by the PMT and fellow GSA's. They complained when I was new that I put in too much change because it caused a few drawars to not want to open and for the drawers to be overly heavy, and that was just making there be 1 roll of nickela, dimes, quarters, and 2 rolls of pennies unopened in each drawer (was what GSTL had reccomended pre-LOA).

It's interesting to see how different the stores are. At mine, we get reamed if we don't fill the cash drawers with leftovers from the change fund. We have to break each coin roll open as well.

It's interesting to see how different the stores are. At mine, we get reamed if we don't fill the cash drawers with leftovers from the change fund. We have to break each coin roll open as well.
We are only required to break open the quarter rolls because they're worth the most.

Opening: 730a-4p
  • Clock in at 7:25a
  • Ask clerical for GSTL keys and my device
  • Print break schedule for front end: cashiers, service desk, cart and brand attendants and GSTL/GSA
  • Around 735a go to cash office and grab change fund
  • 740a drop off electronics, food ave and service desk bags.
  • 745 put pharmacy 999 in
  • 750 put green/red bags in the drawer for registers and unlock the electronic keys for all register
  • 8a open a lane until cashier comes in around 2 minutes
  • 805a check email during down time
  • 810 push any candy for front lanes or front lane reshop
  • 945 send first cashier on break(i send all cashiers early, unless it's busy)
  • Continue to collect reshop and speedweave throught my shift
  • Opening gstl will often have to jump on a lane during the small rushes in the morning
  • 10 or 1030 take first break, CO usually offers to cover
  • Continue to speedweave, zone and collect and sort reshop when given the chance during down time
  • Between 12-1230 take lunch for 45 minutes
  • Do any special projects, otherwise you're in a supporting role for the mid gstl who is going to be the main speedweaver
  • Last break betweek. 2-230
  • Since I am in charge of service desk, I will usually spend my time there cleaning up and organizing stuff until I'm off.
  • 4p you're off! Congratulations!
Will post other mid/closing routines tomorrow

May as well contribute with my closing routine, since I close more often than open.

Without ado,
  • Clock in at 3:55pm, spend 5 mins with the opening GSTL/GSA going over my tasks for the evening and anything else of note, including the 20 REDcards we need to get to be green (and we only have 7 right now!)
  • Take over the reigns at 4 when the opener leaves; as I place the keys over my belt loop, I breathe an unreasonably long, intense sigh to mentally prepare myself for the night ahead
  • Fill the 15 change requests the opener neglected to do
  • Correct the break schedule to my liking so I don't have 4 cashiers going on break 1 hour into their shifts leaving me shorthanded, all because the opener neglected to use his/her brain and formulate a logical break schedule
  • Clean the lanes of all the shit that our lovely guests leave laying around
  • At around 8pm, I will mostly likely have only one cashier -- if I'm lucky, maybe two; proceed to call for backup every 5 minutes and have the sales floor TMs scream their heads off at me like the backup is my fault
  • Call the LOD for my funds between 9:45 and 10. LOD won't come up until 10:30 anyway, leaving me a half hour to close the lanes
  • After closing the lanes, tell the LOD how we didn't meet our REDcard goal
  • Write my e-mail. Cry in the computer room if I'm alone.
  • Repeat again the following evening, or if I'm especially lucky, the very next morning not even 8 hours later (yay clopens!)
Yay! That was so worth the extra 50 cents!

Last edited:
May as well contribute with my closing routine, since I close more often than open.

Without ado,
  • Clock in at 3:55pm, spend 5 mins with the opening GSTL/GSA going over my tasks for the evening and anything else of note, including the 20 REDcards we need to get to be green (and we only have 7 right now!)
  • Take over the reigns at 4 when the opener leaves; as I place the keys over my belt loop, I breathe an unreasonably long, intense sigh to mentally prepare myself for the night ahead
  • Fill the 15 change requests the opener neglected to do
  • Correct the break schedule to my liking so I don't have 4 cashiers going on break 1 hour into their shifts leaving me shorthanded, all because the opener neglected to use his/her brain and formulate a logical break schedule
  • Clean the lanes of all the shit that our lovely guests leave laying around
  • At around 8pm, I will mostly likely have only one cashier -- if I'm lucky, maybe two; proceed to call for backup every 5 minutes and have the sales floor TMs scream their heads off at me like the backup is my fault
  • Call the LOD for my funds between 9:45 and 10. LOD won't come up until 10:30 anyway, leaving me a half hour to close the lanes
  • After closing the lanes, tell the LOD how we didn't meet our REDcard goal
  • Write my e-mail. Cry in the computer room if I'm alone.
  • Repeat again the following evening
Yay! That was so worth the extra 50 cents!

Sounds like my closing nights

We don't have a rule for putting change in the register at night. I do load up food ave with coin, because I know the gstl's never want to get change for them during the day. My rule when closing is to get out as much as the coins as possible hoping the cash office person will have to open boxes of coins, interrupting her boyfriend phone time.

Everything else - What Flabbergasted said...except I clock in at 3 and gstl is standing at the door waiting for me - Her comment will be - I'm going to miss the bus if I don't leave now. Hmmm, I think the bus runs every 20 minutes, but I am not positive. And that's as much I get on what has happened during the day. 5 minutes later the LOD will walk by me and say - the front end sure looks messy.

Opening (7-3:30)
7:00 - Clock in, get keys and equipment, grab store breakout grid for day (TSC makes a dozen copies every AM for all leaders, which saves time)
7:05 - Check email
7:10 - Begin auditing endcaps, creating fill batches, zoning as needed. Make a "shopping list" of any outs or critical lows that don't have BR locations so I can either fill from the home or flex in something similar. If it's a week to set Sales Planners, now is the time to drop 2-3 New Pog batches (if you're lucky, the closer already dropped night batches for you)
7:25 - Head out to the floor with my "shopping list" and grab what product I need (usually it's DVDs to put on my 5/10 and New Release ends)
7:40 - Head to the CO to grab change funds and starting funds for SD, Portrait, Optical, and Pharmacy. Bank SD and Portrait. Lock up Optical and Pharmacy.
7:50 - Fill out new restroom checklists and begin filling out the front end breakout grid
7:58 - Head to either the Blue or Green doors to unlock for store open
8:00-10:00 - Finish filling out breakout grid and complete any projects for the day (setting SPs, filling candy, etc.). Remind the other TLs in the building who is scheduled to give GSTL breaks/lunches, so they can plan their day accordingly (we have a pre-determined break/lunch schedule written out for each week. ALL TLs and some Service Desk TMs are usually assigned 2 Breaks and 1 Lunch per week). Remind the Service Desk TM to complete Return to Stock tasks before 9:00.
10:00-3:00 - Stop all projects or delegate to a TM if it's a slow day on the lanes. GSTL should be focused on solely guest service, driving REDs, and keeping up with the break/lunch schedule during this time.
3:00-3:30 - Closing GSTL comes in at 3:00. Bring him/her up to speed on tasks, call-offs, etc. Hand off keys and send out any emails or complete any paperwork necessary before leaving for the day.

Closing (3-11:30) (Note: Our store closes at 11:00. For most GSTL/GSAs the closer is likely working a 2-10:30 shift, so bump up all of these times 1 hour if that applies to you)
3:00 - Clock in, check in with opening GSTL regarding tasks that still need completed, grid for the night shift, TM issues, etc. Take keys.
3:10-3:30 - Walk the checklanes to check in with cashiers and gather reshop/hangers as needed. Check for any blown endcaps that need immediate attention. Check in with Service Desk and Food Ave as well.
3:30-8:00 - Focus on guest service, driving REDs, and keeping up with the break/lunch schedule.
8:00 - Auto-close unused registers and inform LOD of the number of start funds needed
8:00-9:00 - Depending on guest traffic, I use this time to zone up ends, walk dollar, stock checklane supplies, finish up candy, catch up on email, etc. If the sales floor is struggling, I will usually ask service desk to shut down at 9:00 so they can go to the floor and help zone or do reshop, while I watch guest service. If it's a busy night, I'll probably be hopping on register a lot.
9:00 - Start closing registers. I start with Deli, Starbucks, and Food Ave, then work my way from registers 1-24, before finishing up with Jewelry, Photo, and Electronics. I usually leave 4 checklanes open and close the rest. Depending on how many times I get pulled away and how many registers actually need to be closed, the whole process usually takes me about 45 min.
9:45-11:00 - Same as 8:00-9:00 hour. Leave a note for the opening GSTL and hopefully I'm in and out of the CO by 11:15.

That is insane. I get chewed out if I'm seen on the racetrack standing still. I'm supposed to be speed weaving from inside the checklanes at all times. If I called an LOD every time I had to go assist GS I wouldn't have a job for long.

I wish I was in your area. This whole "be stationary on the front thing" is very regional I think.

My STL has started requiring us GSAs/GSTLs to be visible on the racetrack the majority of the time. If I leave the racetrack, it better not be busy and I better be doing something at the lanes (assisting cashiers, collecting baskets, etc.)

7:30am grab keys from LOD and then grab my bundles and change fund
7:35 start banking registers (SD and Clinic only)
7:40 print break schedule, fast service sheet, GSTL checklist, daily grid, sales planners and cashier observation sheet
7:45 check email and think of Red card games/competition
8:00 change restroom checklist and have opening cashier request change
8:05 grab candy cart give it to opening cashier to work on in between guest
8:10 call back room to fill ice and salt
8:15 give SD TM their daily task
8:20 create batches for end caps work on those til about 10am
At my store the GSTL/GSA must be at the top of the key at all times. We cannot go to the SD for backup we cannot collect go backs or hangers or baskets. We must notify the LOD when giving out change or whenever we leave the top of the key.
Closing I have a little more freedom to do what I want because it's only one or two ETLs. I close one night a week so I use this as my night to clean all the registers and fill all the registers and also my end caps .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back