Archived gstl breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cel said it all for us, I think.

1. We do write break schedules. The GSTL/GSA breaks are at the same time every day. Early. Before it gets busy. and Late, after it slows down. It's common knowledge at our store, and any LOD or other leader could spit them out off the top of their head. Once every other leader in the building spends AN HOUR walking the floor in the morning they stop up front and we check in with them, too. I always let them know I'm taking my break at such and such a time, what they choose to do with that information is beyond my caring tbh. We don't even expect them to stand up at the checklanes and neander around, we just want a team leader or at least somebody moderately knowledgable about the rest of the store NEAR the checklanes (maybe a close-by department) so that way, when a cashier has a question or two (or twelve) a guest doesn't have to wait 10 minutes while listening to "I'm in the back room, Bob can you grab that" "I'm printing reports, Sue can you get that" "I'm with a guest, Joe can you help at the lanes" "I can head up from rear-seasonal for a minute or two." Meanwhile, since we only have two registers open, and one has to wait 5-10 minutes for a ridiculous walkie-game to see who draws the short straw, there is obviously a backup and request for more cashiers, which could easily be prevented if somebody was just NEAR the front so they could answer a question in 1 minute rather than 5.

2. I time my breaks down to the minute, same with every single one of my peers. Why? Because any extra or unnecessary time we're on a meal break is time we aren't getting paid for. None of us even take our 15's.... Sounds more like you have shitty team members at your store.

3. We help out the floor/other departments WHEN WE CAN. What nobody apparently f**king understands about the checklanes is that when you're scheduled, you are literally TIED to a register location or a service desk or a cafe all day. Your entire job is to be at your station, providing guest service. Look at it this way; if every hardlines team member was in the back room at the same time for a couple minutes to check out the pull line, it wouldn't be a big deal. If every cashier went to the bathroom at the same time, I'd say that has a more significant impact on our guests. We don't get the luxury of wandering freely, at all.
--We aren't scheduled well enough to help other departments that much. On the RARE occasion that we have a cart attendant, the ONLY time he's at the front lanes is when he's getting carts. The rest of the time he's working gobacks, pulls, helping the sales floor zone, responding to backup calls so your teams don't have to, etc etc. Forget about the overflowing hanger bins that nobody can get to the backroom because we can't get off a checklane for more than two minutes, and forget about the fact that the restrooms are disgusting and garbages are overflowing because there is physically not enough bodies to even take care of these little yet crucial maintenance tasks.
--The front end at our store zones girls, boys, performance, and accessories every night. Market, too, if we get a chance.. That's a good chunk of the store for a team that typically consists of 1 cashier, 1 GSTL, and 1 Service desk every night; considering two of those positions are tied to one spot, and the GSTL usually ends up backup cashiering most of the night. Yet we still get it done so other teams don't have to.
--When other team leads need idea's and inspiration for stupid metric-driving games, guess who they come to in our store? Yes, GSTL's. Because we spend 40 hours a week running absolutely idiotic games/competitions to drive the ridiculous metric of conversion. The AAR games our store tries to put together, borrowed from the front end's leaders. The incentives to not-miss-a-punch, borrowed from us. The action plans to increase softlines vibe scores, altered versions of idea's we've used to drive redcards. I don't know about anyone else, but at our store the GSTL's/GSA's usually come up with all the ridiculous vibed-out brand games that push to increase numbers. I'd consider that helping other teams.
--An average day for me consists of 1 GSTL, 1 Service Desk, 1-2 Cashiers, 1 Food Ave who actually spends the majority of her day on a checklane and only hops off during rushes or for food safety/procedural stuff-This is in an effort to minimize backup calls so YOU guys can work uninterrupted (is cutting backup calls by about 70% helping you? i'm not sure, you tell me.) That leaves me, the only one not tied to a checklane or a desk of ranting guests, to watch food ave backup at GS or the lanes, push carts all afternoon, run the break schedule, while also driving conversion CONSTANTLY because every 20 minutes we get an etl reminding us to be doing so. Which I can't do because I'm stuck on a register, at guest service with a crazed coupon-fraud guest, or outside trying to keep more than 10 carts in the building. It's not that we don't want to jump out and help other departments, we just physically do not have enough hands most times. They're all moving at lightning speed in an effort to avoid pulling other teams for backup calls.

4. I despise my workcenter, but I take pride in it because I work my ass off to keep my conversion, our conversion, our service scores, and our cashier speed green. I WANT to get the front end involved in the rest of the store, I WANT to get my cashiers to become more global, and I WANT to build the idea of teamwork. And for the most part, I've done a shit load of that in the past couple months since I really stepped up and took a bigger hand in leading the checklanes. I've built partnerships with our APTL and PPTL; APTL mainly for a shortage awareness, and PPTL for workload. I meet with her every week and we look at her workload, I offer to take what I think can be managed with the HUGE TEAM (heavy sarcasm) I have, I'll usually work a couple tubs/flats of price change in a week, set anything at the checklanes or OneSpot, and try snagging some so called "off-site time" so I can jump onto the floor and help plano with transitions, since I have a knack for organizing and planning. Our GSTL plays a big role in the sales floor, because she runs the 4x4 schedule and also manages all the consumables vendors. *Offsite time, mind you, that I would otherwise use to train-and-develop front end team members, have conversations with them about their conversion or speed scores, or fix the billion broken processes and routines at the service desk... But no. Instead, I'm trying to play a part in other area's in an effort to repay them for all the times I get the joy of hearing the ever-so-willing "UGH, I guess I can make my way up." If only I had time to try helping other workcenters.. Oh wait, I use every spare minute of my time doing that already.

Last edited:
You know you could have saved yourself some time and looked at the quoted parts of my post to see why I wrote what I did.

All I can say is that if you aren't taking your breaks, then that is on you. If no one will come up to cover a break, tell the LOD you're headed to break, but no one will be covering the lanes. Turn off your walkie and go take a break. Leave a walkie with a cashier or service desk or FA or whoever and let them know to call for the LOD if someone needs help. Other than change requests, post voids, and supervisor overrides, there shouldn't be much else that absolutely needs a manager. Your cashiers have phones to call the operator if they need a price check/DPCI, they should be empowered and trained to take care of issues that they can take care of, and your service desk team members should be able to handle anything else (they've usually seen it all anyway). I learned about 2 years ago that if, as a TL, you can't leave your workcenter for 15 minutes without it blowing up...then the problem is with you, not your team or your peers. As far as GSAs go, they should not be taken advantage of just because they are a in a weird leadership limbo. The GSTL(s) should be setting the example for their GSAs and take their breaks and meals in a timely manner.

Last edited:
I don't see how anyone could GSA and not take a break! I need that 15 minutes of NOT hearing my ETL screaming on the walkie about RedCards. If I didn't take my break I might seriously hurt someone.

^It's about 50/50 as to whether or not I take 15s... I don't always feel the need for one so I'll disappear for a 3-4 minutes, check my email or poke around workbench, and call it a break. Some nights, yes I really need to sit down or sit outside for a few minutes, others not so much. All depends on the mood of the guests I have to deal with, the mood of the team, etc etc.

All I can say is that if you aren't taking your breaks, then that is on you. If no one will come up to cover a break, tell the LOD you're headed to break, but no one will be covering the lanes.

That's usually what ends up happening. I go when the time I allotted myself on the break grid comes. Occasionally, however, that doesn't go as planned. Ex: If I were to get stuck with a guest for an extended period of time for something really weird, or stuck in the parking lot all afternoon because it's 11am and power hour and the flow team still has half of our guest carts hidden around the store, and the ETL-LOG and Repleneshment TL can't get any solutions toa that.

It'd just be nice if somebody with a more global store knowledge can be near the checklanes in case somebody has a question.

Last edited:
I always take all of my breaks on principle even if I know I'm shooting myself in the foot by leaving the lanes. (except for very occasionally skipping a final 15 on closing shifts) My logic is that if leadership gets the impression that my breaks are negotiable they'll take advantage of that and I won't get the breaks to which I am entitled when I really need them. Plus, as previously stated, I need 15 minutes without being screamed at for redcards now and then.

Most of the time it's NBD to get coverage. We're pretty heavy on GSAs so there's often one working a GS shift, or whoever worked CO might be done early. Leadership knows we're good about coverage so they don't squawk too much when they have to cover the lanes.

The nights I closed, I never could get break coverage & got my lunch break only under threats of hitting compliance.
As a hi-vol we had pitiful coverage after 6pm which went down to meager by 9pm.
Since all the other GSAs/GSTLs were 'taking classes', I closed the majority of my shifts.

I cover a lot of GSA breaks. No supervisor #'s, very rarely keys. The GSA's hand me their keys for specific purposes (going to unlock FOS 040 - the locked flexible fulfillment cupboard being the most common), but not when covering their breaks. The only GSTL that ever gives me their keys to cover breaks is one of our Sr. TL's that occasionally has GSTL shifts. I think with the GSA's it's less that they don't trust me though than that they're afraid to do something that could get them in trouble, whereas the Sr. TL is more confident that no one will question him.

The only time I was ever given the keys by anyone else for more than a few minutes at a time was a day the closing GSA called in sick and they had no one to cover so they had me work as the GSA (though the LOD closed the registers and took the money out of them etc. at the end of the night).

I am the Food Ave TL/SBTL at my store and often help with breaks when I have double coverage or I am working a weekday cafe shift. Otherwise, it is a GSA, an ETL or a seasoned GSTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back