Archived GSTL/Front End Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah imo letting returns happen at checklanes is a recipe for fraud imo...think the coupon crazies know who to pounce on? It wouldn't be pretty for a newbie cashier and Scammer McScammerston.

Problem is the definition of a simple return. Knowing how guests work, they would just go to a checklane to do a return and not know what a simple return is. Then you have the guest who waits til they get to the cashier to now start looking to see if they have a receipt and they have to dig it out. What if a guest wants to return a tv and then the cashier has to take the time to take it out of the box if opened to double check serial numbers. Or any electronic items for that matter. GSTM have more experience with certain returns and can spot the scammers.

You can look at the receipt and know if it'll be an easy return. TVs isn't a simple return and the cashier would just tell them they have to go to GS for that.

It's not that hard and is very effective. You guys who're saying it's potentially disastrous sound like you're not developing your team enough. Determining a simple return is easy. If a guest can't find their receipt, the solution is simple:

"Ok I'm going to ring up the next guest while you find your receipt"

o_O

You can look at the receipt and know if it'll be an easy return. TVs isn't a simple return and the cashier would just tell them they have to go to GS for that.

It's not that hard and is very effective. You guys who're saying it's potentially disastrous sound like you're not developing your team enough. Determining a simple return is easy. If a guest can't find their receipt, the solution is simple:

"Ok I'm going to ring up the next guest while you find your receipt"

o_O
Key words are developing your team. There is a reason certain cashiers don't cover GS just as certain flow TM's don't cashier. Who determines what is a simple return? I've had guests give me their receipt to find out it is not the correct receipt. Yes, we can do a card look up providing they have the correct card and we don't have to go through several of them. ASANTS

Key words are developing your team. There is a reason certain cashiers don't cover GS just as certain flow TM's don't cashier. Who determines what is a simple return? I've had guests give me their receipt to find out it is not the correct receipt. Yes, we can do a card look up providing they have the correct card and we don't have to go through several of them. ASANTS

At that point you direct them to guest service. Majority of returns are scan receipt, scan item, total, done. The amount of problematic returns are less than the one I outlined above. To not train cashiers how to do those out of fear of those problematic returns that comes once in a while isn't effective to me imo.

I know in my high volume store implementing this process has been incredibly beneficial.

To your point about certain cashiers shouldn't cover guest service. To me what would stop that is all the other responsibilities such as CRC, bins, FF, charge back, etc. I absolutely believe if you can ring up guest, do WIC, and tax exempt forms, you are perfectly capable of scanning a receipt and an item, then pressing total. If the problem is too much you can direct them to guest service.

We have a difference of opinion and that's fine. With 30 registers, 16 SCOs, and huge GS lines, I try to eliminate guest having to wait on multiple lines as much as possible. I want them out the door.

Oh we have cashiers who send WIC and tax exempt to GS too. Our store won't be doing cashier returns. But we are a much smaller store (13 registers, no SCO) and that obviously changes things.

Yeah imo letting returns happen at checklanes is a recipe for fraud imo...think the coupon crazies know who to pounce on? It wouldn't be pretty for a newbie cashier and Scammer McScammerston.

In all fairness guest service is not rocket science. Heck even guest service people get scammed all the time.

We have AP recovers (ei. Found merchandise in backback or forgot to mention soda under cart)

This. Include little BOB/LISA recovery cards for cashiers to write down DPCI, time, and check lane # if they make a recovery.

The cards can be given to AP, who will review and document the incidents. (They'll thank you for it!)

Oh we have cashiers who send WIC and tax exempt to GS too. Our store won't be doing cashier returns. But we are a much smaller store (13 registers, no SCO) and that obviously changes things.
WIC I understand but tax exempt all you have to do is type in the address and scan Id.
In all fairness guest service is not rocket science. Heck even guest service people get scammed all the time.
That's true but if you're not trained you'll get scammed a lot more

We've been out of our promo gift cards for a really long time. Do any of you have the DPCI for them?

I need to my support it again.

Hello guys, I’m currently a new GSTL and I was wondering what can I do to be great at what I do ?

Hello guys, I’m currently a new GSTL and I was wondering what can I do to be great at what I do ?

Create routines, always send out communication with your peers and ETLs, ensure guest service is efficient, and keep an eye on MyGuest to identify trends and areas you can improve.

I often grab about five cashiers and teach them how to Plano, pull batches, shoot labels, and fill. This is half the battle. Development is really the biggest thing. Hard to do at this time due to seasonal, but definitely something to work on. Stronger team equals stronger results.

I like to make the first week of each month the "refresh week". So that means retraining cashiers, even the vets, about how to stop shortage, WiC, Tax Exempt, gift card protocol, driving conversion, simple returns, etc.

Have someone do regular equipment audits as well. Also try your best to never call the LOD. At the end of each month I ask cashiers to give me three things they either want to learn or improve on. I then try to help them with that.

Those are some of the things I do. However, every store is different so you have to adapt. I hope you find what works for you and succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back