Archived GSTL/Front End Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all, A GSTL here. I'm making folders for our lanes. Kinda like a communications thing to help keep all our cashiers in the loop. #nohuddlesforus #FrontEnd

I was looking for suggestions on what to add to these.
So far I havet the following:
General DPC's
Coupon Policy
PriceMatch Policy
Cartwheel Perks Dates
CODE G/Y/R
mini 'lingo' chart
Weekly Ad space
Tax Exempt walk through
BTC Tax Free Weekend info
RedCard App Walkthrough
Coupon Exceptions
Core Roles
Important Names (Store Level)
Cartwheel Training Info
Chip Card Training Info
Registry Training Info
Team Member Empowerment (Store Specific)

any other ideas would be greatly accepted!

We had folders like this long ago.
Thing is not to stuff them with too much extraneous info; keep it short & sweet.
DPCI list is good with a brief description on how to cobble together a number for an unmarked item (ie: one spot item - 234-00-9999).
Weekly ad with any store specials.
Coupon/price match policies should include an outline of your store's empowerment guidelines & coupon exceptions.
Scratch the names; that's what name badges are for.
Mini lingo chart should include red/yellow/green codes.
When it comes to imparting info on the lanes, less is better.
If you stuff a bunch of lists in a folder, your cashiers aren't going to have/take the time to go thru it all plus you'll be wasting time updating constantly-changing info.
The only thing we had to change out were the weekly ads & if policies were updated.
Good plan, just pare it down.

I would just have your own huddle.

skip most of the writing.

Or just make one copy for the GSTL to go over with everyone at a huddle. Like one in the am, and one in the pm.

--
folder would be tl;dr

Howdy all, A GSTL here. I'm making folders for our lanes. Kinda like a communications thing to help keep all our cashiers in the loop. #nohuddlesforus #FrontEnd

I was looking for suggestions on what to add to these.
So far I havet the following:
General DPC's
Coupon Policy
PriceMatch Policy
Cartwheel Perks Dates
CODE G/Y/R
mini 'lingo' chart
Weekly Ad space
Tax Exempt walk through
BTC Tax Free Weekend info
RedCard App Walkthrough
Coupon Exceptions
Core Roles
Important Names (Store Level)
Cartwheel Training Info
Chip Card Training Info
Registry Training Info
Team Member Empowerment (Store Specific)

any other ideas would be greatly accepted!

We have AP recovers (ei. Found merchandise in backback or forgot to mention soda under cart)

WIC walkthrough? And give troubleshooting ideas on various scenarios that could occur w processing/payment.

Red card payments.
Returns.
Rebate checks.
Sorting reshop and hangers (some people dump reshop and hangers together at my store)

But honestly, no cashier is going to have time to read that much information. Much of this is learned as it comes up, there's no way to train anyone on everything and by the time a cashier thumbs through the folder looking for an answer for the guest, that guest will get impatient and it's just faster to get a GSA to help.

You'll have a few dedicated cashiers who actually read everything when they have time between guests but for the most part, the folders will sit in a drawer underneath red card applications and rolls of tape.

Only GS trained people need to know these

I do agree though that cashiers simply don't have time to read these

There was a digital download a few months ago where spot didn't want guest waiting in multiple lines unnecessarily. If you look cashiers numbers can now do returns, price match, and payments.

The message specifically said simple returns an payments can be done at the register. If you want great Guest Feedback train your cashiers to do simple returns and payments.

To OP: I thought of doing a binder but rarely do my cashiers get a chance to read things because our store is ridiculously high traffic. Huddles is much more practical. I also take one week out of the month to do refreshers. If you insist on doing the binder put your performance report in there too.

I could share something I came up with that helped my guest service stay brand. I created a binder with a log. In the log is a checklist (bins, salvage, crc, # of charge back carts, etc). The opening GS team sign their name(s) and fill in the information. The opening GSTL then walks guest service and then signs off in the log book. Then we repeat the process for the closers.

Last edited:
Ah-- at least at my store price match and returns and RC payments are ONLY done at GS

Your GSTL probably doesn't enforce it if your store traffic isn't crazy. Our lines at our store is ridiculous so any way to eliminate guest going to multiple lines helps.

I also look at it as a way to empower cashiers. My number 1 focus is to develop team members. I try to give them as much tools as I could so eventually they can move departments and hopefully grow with the company. I try to look at every team member as a future leader.

I even teach cashiers how to shoot and pull batches, plano, etc.

Your GSTL probably doesn't enforce it if your store traffic isn't crazy. Our lines at our store is ridiculous so any way to eliminate guest going to multiple lines helps.

I also look at it as a way to empower cashiers. My number 1 focus is to develop team members. I try to give them as much tools as I could so eventually they can move departments and hopefully grow with the company. I try to look at every team member as a future leader.

I even teach cashiers how to shoot and pull batches, plano, etc.
We enforce it pretty strong-- electronics can't do any price matches. However I would say we're training about 75% of cashiers for guest service so that they can help us.

We enforce it pretty strong-- electronics can't do any price matches. However I would say we're training about 75% of cashiers for guest service so that they can help us.

Nice. Nothing worse than having a call out at GS and no one to replace that shift with.

Only GS trained people need to know these

I do agree though that cashiers simply don't have time to read these

There was a digital download a few months ago where spot didn't want guest waiting in multiple lines unnecessarily. If you look cashiers numbers can now do returns, price match, and payments.

The message specifically said simple returns an payments can be done at the register. If you want great Guest Feedback train your cashiers to do simple returns and payments.

I've trained all of our cashiers how to price match, take payments and returns. It has greatly helped front end as the guests don't have to wait as long and can do more than one thing at the register. It also helps when a cashier can come to SD and grab a guest to take their return when lanes are not busy but I get slammed.

There's only one cashier who's not comfortable performing new duties but for the most part, it's worked out very well.

How can they price match at the registers though?

You are supposed to use the iPad device to corroborate price matches...which is why so many guests get upset. When what they see on their phone doesn't match what is found on the iPad at GS.

Ah-- at least at my store price match and returns and RC payments are ONLY done at GS

You are supposed to do simple returns at the lane now. Corp send out a directive about it. You don't have to but cashier's are authorized to (something that won't go salvage or destroy) can go into their go back bin.

How can they price match at the registers though?

You are supposed to use the iPad device to corroborate price matches...which is why so many guests get upset. When what they see on their phone doesn't match what is found on the iPad at GS.

I know at electronics we don't price match using the iPad. I know you are supposed to but it doesn't happen.

Electronics always sends price matches up to GS. They walk the product up with the guest and tell us they want a price match. My store must be a stickler about the iPad then...?
Mine is like that too
Yeah you're supposed to use the iPad, but when that app fails 80% of the time...
we are allowed to check on our phone as a last resort or call a GSA/TL over to check on theirs

To OP: I thought of doing a binder but rarely do my cashiers get a chance to read things because our store is ridiculously high traffic. Huddles is much more practical. I also take one week out of the month to do refreshers. If you insist on doing the binder put your performance report in there too.

I could share something I came up with that helped my guest service stay brand. I created a binder with a log. In the log is a checklist (bins, salvage, crc, # of charge back carts, etc). The opening GS team sign their name(s) and fill in the information. The opening GSTL then walks guest service and then signs off in the log book. Then we repeat the process for the closers.
Problem is the definition of a simple return. Knowing how guests work, they would just go to a checklane to do a return and not know what a simple return is. Then you have the guest who waits til they get to the cashier to now start looking to see if they have a receipt and they have to dig it out. What if a guest wants to return a tv and then the cashier has to take the time to take it out of the box if opened to double check serial numbers. Or any electronic items for that matter. GSTM have more experience with certain returns and can spot the scammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back