Archived Guest Incident Report Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This actually happened about a month ago. It's a long story. So I won't ramble on about it.
A guest fell in my area and bashed her head open on one of the shelves. I didn't see it happen. I heard it happen. My initial thought was "Oh, great! Something else to pick up!" I figured someone had knocked a piece of merchandise over.
Then another guest called me over. I get there, she's bleeding. a lot. I honestly couldn't remember the code for a guest injury at that point. I was more concerned with getting her help. I immediately got on my walkie and called my LOD over, telling him a guest had been injured. It felt like an attorney for him to get there, too. Though in reality it was only 25 to 30 seconds. We get an ambulance, paramedics check her out, and she decides not to go to the hospital.

About a week later, Target Guest Incident calls me at the store. The questions they asked just seemed like they were trying to get me fired. They must have asked me a billion times if there was anything on that floor prior to her fall. There wasn't to my knowledge. I always walk my areas before beginning work. Picking stuff up on the floor, getting strays etc. And she fell only 20 minutes into my shift.

On the incident report I filled out, it asked me if there was anything on the floor. All I knew to put was "Her blood" LOL <That part is irrelevant. I just thought it was funny.
Anyways, what about you guys? Do you get that feeling that the incident center is trying to find a reason to fire you?

p.s. the incident took place in stationary. So it's not as if food or shampoo was on the floor.

You did fill out the incident report with your lod, the same day? Saying her blood isn't a good thing to say on paperwork.
What should say on the walkie, after you ask the guest, do you help, etc... "code green, code green, lod to aisle f19, code green. Usually the lod or closest tl will respond first & go to channel 4. They will ask what I need to bring with me? A first kit, incident package, etc. remain calm through this event. By doing that, you are reassuring person who is trying to help them.
The worse events are seizures & fainting spells by guests or tm's. We had a tm who almost had a seizure & couldn't speak. I heard the code, when over to the location, & told the other tm staring at down tm. Calmly, Go to the pharamacy now, tell them that they come here with a certain drug without delay for this medical condition. Because I couldn't get to her locker fast enough to her medicine, she needed. The down tm had told me before this event, if I am starting sound or act weird, please do the following without delay. She is one of my best tm's.

I would never talk to the Incident Hotline or fill out an incident report without an ETL present.

Besides the Incident Center is going to pull the video for that area anyways. But definitely have your STL/ETL-HL/AP review the footage of the incident just to make sure that you or the store are not at fault.

Incident reports are always filled out by the first TM on the scene and they are just standard procedure. I've filled out a couple over the years and they are not a big deal. They are just a CYA thing for Target legal in case the guest sues. Don't get too stressed about it.

I was thinking the same thing as Suzy. They need all that information in case a lawsuit comes up and you give your two weeks notice tomorrow.

Incident reports are always filled out by the first TM on the scene and they are just standard procedure. I've filled out a couple over the years and they are not a big deal. They are just a CYA thing for Target legal in case the guest sues. Don't get too stressed about it.

This. It's all about liability.

Like I said, this all happened about a month ago. Certainly I would've heard something by now if I were being fired, eh?
I put "her blood" because at that point I didn't know what else to put. The guest was on a blood thinning medication, so there was a lot of it.
I did fill out an incident report, but not in front of an ETL. He reviewed it before turning it in. Didn't say anything to me about it.
The only "bad" part about the situation was that the LOD didn't get to the other guest who actually saw her fall before she left. So no paper work from one of two other witnesses.
the other witness was her husband. Who basically signed a piece of paper saying there was nothing on the floor. So even if she did want to sue, she'd have a hard time in court fighting that.

ANYWAYS! Fingers crossed I don't lose my job over this. lol Hope I don't. I was talking to my ETL-HR about an internship today. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back