Archived Guest issues/overrides

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I work at guest services at my local target store. I am constantly running into situations where a guest doesn’t like a policy, and I explain that nothing can be done. I’m which point they ask to speak to a manager. The manager then overrides what I said and allows that policy to be broken. This happens at least 3 times a week. Does anyone else have this issue???

Based on reading here, it happens all the time. I don't work in guest service, but if a guest wants something that's against standard policy (in my case in hardlines, if a guest wants a price adjustment for something), I explain standard policy, and if they push it further I appeal to a higher power (TL, ETL). "I can't do that but I can call a manager..." Most guests seem to understand that us peons don't have the ability to override policy, so as a TM I'd avoid using "nothing can be done" language with a guest. There's lots *I* can't do, but managers can, so I don't want to say that nothing can be done, if I know that's not really true, as leaders are supposed to "make it right" for the guest and often will.

So I work at guest services at my local target store. I am constantly running into situations where a guest doesn’t like a policy, and I explain that nothing can be done. I’m which point they ask to speak to a manager. The manager then overrides what I said and allows that policy to be broken. This happens at least 3 times a week. Does anyone else have this issue???

Several threads about this. You should enforce the policy to what your leadership says to do.

If they don't care, why should you as an hourly tm?

If its only a gsa or gstl, let your ETL ap know for sure. They are usually interested in stopping shady returns. If he's not, forget about it and move on.

With the current focus of guest surveys, a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly before does.

Several threads about this. You should enforce the policy to what your leadership says to do.

If they don't care, why should you as an hourly tm?

If its only a gsa or gstl, let your ETL ap know for sure. They are usually interested in stopping shady returns. If he's not, forget about it and move on.

With the current focus of guest surveys, a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly before does.

To stem off HRZone-

With brick and mortar at risk with online shopping, Target wants to make sure they do what is right for the guest. Moral of the story is if the STL cant solve the issue guest relation has too which would result in a gift card even if you strong arm the policy who wins then?

Making it right for the guest trumps all the majority of the time, simply because it's easier to do what the guest wants to get them to leave. If a guest has a request that you can't accommodate on your own, get the GSA or GSTL. If your supervisor breaks policy, that's on them. At $11 an hour, it SO isn't worth it to try and play policy police.

It happens a lot. The ETLs will bend to the guest to keep them happy or keep them from submitting a negative survey or feedback.

Your job is to enforce the policy or keep the guest happy within your power. If you know you can't do anything then escalate it to the GSTL/GSA (or ETL depending on how your store personally deals with unhappy guests). If they want to override policy, exit out of the transaction and let them use their numbers.

Then why have policies in place if they will not be followed? Just asking a rhetorical question. If I have a guest that is being unreasonable and rude, I will be less likely to make it right for them. Most of the time they are the ones who made the error, and then we just make it worse by rewarding them.

Then why have policies in place if they will not be followed? Just asking a rhetorical question. If I have a guest that is being unreasonable and rude, I will be less likely to make it right for them. Most of the time they are the ones who made the error, and then we just make it worse by rewarding them.
I WONDERED TOO
tenor.gif

I had ETLs who enforced the rules. Then others who broke them any time a guest complained so they wouldn't get bad feedback.

I am totally in tune to your concern but as I say to even my most veteran TMs at the service desk there are going to be times when we need to override and make things right. My philosophy is if there is a way we can make it right let's do it. I will follow that up with I only do it when the guest is reasonable. If the guest is rude I follow the policy to the letter and don't usually budge.

I used it a lot over the last few months when guests had issues with online returns or gift returns that really weren't their fault (i.e. something was defective, didn't fit, receipt lookup didn't work but they could prove they purchased it). In those times it's nice to have the freedoms to make things right. When the model changed and our store became a "yes" store I put up a stink enough that my GE has started to go to bat for us and making sure the LODs back up the GSTL/GSA. I'm in a position at my store that the LODs know if I call them, there is a real issue and they typically back me up. I try to do the same for my TMs as well.

I am totally in tune to your concern but as I say to even my most veteran TMs at the service desk there are going to be times when we need to override and make things right. My philosophy is if there is a way we can make it right let's do it. I will follow that up with I only do it when the guest is reasonable. If the guest is rude I follow the policy to the letter and don't usually budge.

I used it a lot over the last few months when guests had issues with online returns or gift returns that really weren't their fault (i.e. something was defective, didn't fit, receipt lookup didn't work but they could prove they purchased it). In those times it's nice to have the freedoms to make things right. When the model changed and our store became a "yes" store I put up a stink enough that my GE has started to go to bat for us and making sure the LODs back up the GSTL/GSA. I'm in a position at my store that the LODs know if I call them, there is a real issue and they typically back me up. I try to do the same for my TMs as well.
I agree with everything you have said here. 98% of the time I will do whatever it takes to make it right. The other 2% I hold back for those rude guests and scammers.

I have total sympathy for anyone who has to deal with guest issues, and I (personally) don't judge pretty much any approach. It would be awesome, however, if it were more consistent. I came in to do some repair at GS where the LOD was refusing a return because the system wouldn't allow it (don't know what the issue was, exactly, but the register wouldn't allow it, I guess) and the guy was saying he'd done it before an accused the LOD & GSA of it just "being them" that couldn't do it. Yeah, he could have been invoking the mythical "Other Target" or he could have gotten away with it at another store with some sort of workaround--there's no way to know for sure because some ETLs/stores are better at enforcing policy than others.

That's the one thing I hate more than anything... those guests that come in and say that "they've done it before" or "the other store did it" - usually I internally scoff at that but (in a nice way) tell the guest that they can return to that store if they want it done. I will, at times, use the "I'll make an exception this once" and usually immediately regret it as there is never "just once" in retail anymore but that's on me.

The "system won't allow it" excuse drives me insane but unfortunately there are times we simply cannot do anything (a lot of times it's for online items that aren't in the system - sometimes even DPCI numbers don't work). The only other time I've seen it happen is when prepaid cards say they have been used it locks us out which makes it complicated when guests bring them back saying they aren't working. That's a tough explanation to try and spin. Typically speaking there is usually a work around you just have to know what it is.

When this happens, I am happy to flip the screen over to them so they can see I am not bluffing.

Oh I do the same thing - especially when they are the nasty type. Thing is even when I know there is nothing I can do I at least make a few attempts at it to make it LOOK like I am trying something. Sometimes it calms people down so when I have to deliver the bad news they are sometimes more accepting of it.

I would partner with your GSTL or whoever always overrides you and be honest and say "look I don't want to be giving guests wrong info, and say we can't do something when in fact you can override it. if XYZ comes up again, what should I say to the guest so that everyone's on the same page?"

With the focus on surveys now, the entire front end is at a disadvantage. Don't take it personal and try not to be a policy police. The GSTLs probably are already aware of how much power is in the guest hands. Simply use language like "I'll see what my manager can do".

It's on us to figure out how far we can go. I shut down plenty of guest and received negative MyGuest serveys. I been spoken to about them, but I'm fortunate enough to have the backing of the execs where they side with me (ASANTS).

Try to not make the call yourself and let the TL see what they can do. You'll also notice TLs sticking with the policy only for an ETL to come override it. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back