Archived Guest made my cashier cry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaylyn

"THIS SUM BULLS-...eye."
Y'all. A GSA called out this morning so I had to hold down the fort from 10a-5p when the next GSA got out of the CO (I can't do cash office because, once again, I'm just a cashier). Anywho, someone made one of my new cashiers cry... and it absolutely broke my heart. As you all know, a lot of the people Target likes to hire are upbeat and sweet, and this girl is no different. What irked me is that it started with a TEAM MEMBER from ANOTHER store... who came up and demanded she perform a service we only do at Guest Services here. This new girl isn't GS trained and was trying to send the team member to our desk (which was 10ft to her right). The team member started calling her names, including "stupid", and made a big deal about how much the girl didn't know. This snowballed to the guest behind her, and the guest after that, all ganging up on this girl for not knowing how to do something (I think it was a "Fix a Mistake" or something) she isn't actually supposed to do. She never called me over because we were absolutely slammed. She took it like a champ until we slowed down and then she called me over, crying. I told her she didn't have to take all that, to call someone over next time and I sent her on a long bathroom break so she wouldn't be embarrassed about crying. I made sure to make the LOD aware. He brought her AP to let her know we have her back and she doesn't have to take it. Before I left I made sure to thank her for her great performance as a cashier ("You help make it easy for all of us up here!") but I'm not sure if I should say anymore next time I see her or just leave it that. I've never had anyone make me cry (mostly 'cause my INNER attitude is either in "suck it" mode or "oh, you pitiful thing" mode when people are rude) so I don't know what I would want someone to say or do, or not say or not do... I feel like a fox just attacked one of my chicks right under my nose:mad:

I sometimes over think things, take things too personally and get overly emotional and have cried over things I wish I didn’t. If it was me, I would want you to not dwell on it, not mention it, and move on. You addressed it at the time, now forget it. I think she would not want you to remember “that time” every time you saw her again.

That makes a lot of sense. Will not pursue any further. For some reason this got under my skin far more than if someone had treated me that way. I was inwardly fuming the rest of the day. But you're right and (lol) there's no time to dwell anyway, 'tis the season! Next guest in line!

The one time I lost my cool with guest was when he berated a minor cashier of mine to the point she was in tears. (It was her first job and I had a GSA-level worthy conversation with her about keeping her cool.) Told my then-GE, write it up, I'll sign it, there are limits and he reached mine. I'm still shocked I wasn't written up, but I think guests complaining about the guest saved me.

ETA: I think you handled the situation beautifully. This is what happens when I post before the tea kicks in.

Last edited:
Its not cool for other store TMs to badger or demean on-clock TMs. I would ask your TM and other witnesseses to document the event. And if this supposed TM identity is known or can be traced, I would urge your Execs to have a store to store discussion on this incident.

Back in the day when I was a cashier at Walmart (and a shy young kid), a customer made me cry. And that customer has been through my line multiple times at Walmart and at Spot since and doesn't even remember me 😕 You handled it exactly the way you should have in that particular situation. I wouldn't mention it again. And I'm glad to see a fellow TM be so protective of their other TMs. I'm the same way.

Maybe just do something nice for her that's unrelated to the incident? ASANTS, but we have candy cane grams right now at mine. Is your store doing something like that? Maybe one of those with a "Keep up the amazing work girl! Merry Christmas!" Idk. Just an idea. But I think you handled it perfectly.

If you impressed upon her that it is the guest (and another employee!) who behaved like a jerk, not her, then forget about it. It will reinforce that it was just a time someone else behaved badly. I am 63 so things aren't going to make me cry, which I would have done over almost anything, when I was younger.

My store where I am a cashier must be extra cool. There has only been 1 set of guests (a couple) that I really didn't like, this whole Christmas season I have worked. For them, I just powered through until they were out the door, and kept a cool head.

Said guest was a team member from another store? Run back transactions to find out who used a team member discount, contact their store, make sure they get a coaching. You represent the brand as soon as you announce you work for Spot. They want to act like a shithead, they can suffer consequences.
Abso-fucking-lutely.

Y'all. A GSA called out this morning so I had to hold down the fort from 10a-5p when the next GSA got out of the CO (I can't do cash office because, once again, I'm just a cashier). Anywho, someone made one of my new cashiers cry... and it absolutely broke my heart. As you all know, a lot of the people Target likes to hire are upbeat and sweet, and this girl is no different. What irked me is that it started with a TEAM MEMBER from ANOTHER store... who came up and demanded she perform a service we only do at Guest Services here. This new girl isn't GS trained and was trying to send the team member to our desk (which was 10ft to her right). The team member started calling her names, including "stupid", and made a big deal about how much the girl didn't know. This snowballed to the guest behind her, and the guest after that, all ganging up on this girl for not knowing how to do something (I think it was a "Fix a Mistake" or something) she isn't actually supposed to do. She never called me over because we were absolutely slammed. She took it like a champ until we slowed down and then she called me over, crying. I told her she didn't have to take all that, to call someone over next time and I sent her on a long bathroom break so she wouldn't be embarrassed about crying. I made sure to make the LOD aware. He brought her AP to let her know we have her back and she doesn't have to take it. Before I left I made sure to thank her for her great performance as a cashier ("You help make it easy for all of us up here!") but I'm not sure if I should say anymore next time I see her or just leave it that. I've never had anyone make me cry (mostly 'cause my INNER attitude is either in "suck it" mode or "oh, you pitiful thing" mode when people are rude) so I don't know what I would want someone to say or do, or not say or not do... I feel like a fox just attacked one of my chicks right under my nose:mad:

she’ll eventually turn out to be a misanthrope

Its not cool for other store TMs to badger or demean on-clock TMs. I would ask your TM and other witnesseses to document the event. And if this supposed TM identity is known or can be traced, I would urge your Execs to have a store to store discussion on this incident.
We had a seasonal termed for asshattery at another store...🙄

Said guest was a team member from another store? Run back transactions to find out who used a team member discount, contact their store, make sure they get a coaching. You represent the brand as soon as you announce you work for Spot. They want to act like a shithead, they can suffer consequences.
Can we do that?? >.>

Back in the day when I was a cashier at Walmart (and a shy young kid), a customer made me cry. And that customer has been through my line multiple times at Walmart and at Spot since and doesn't even remember me 😕 You handled it exactly the way you should have in that particular situation. I wouldn't mention it again. And I'm glad to see a fellow TM be so protective of their other TMs. I'm the same way.

Maybe just do something nice for her that's unrelated to the incident? ASANTS, but we have candy cane grams right now at mine. Is your store doing something like that? Maybe one of those with a "Keep up the amazing work girl! Merry Christmas!" Idk. Just an idea. But I think you handled it perfectly.
Was gonna give them all candy canes with tiny, personal messages. No candy cane grams here, just thank you notes on the wall.

Can’t go into too much detail, but said seasonal TM called out at our store and went shopping at another Target, asshattery ensued, word got back and she was gone.🙄

Had no idea that could happen. I've seen some team members from other stores doing things that seemed shady but with no proof (and with them being team members and all) did not realize any one cared. Sometimes it feels like leaders at this store would just roll their eyes, say "don't worry about it" and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back