Archived Guest Service Desk after Remodel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
Our store started our remodel. All fine and good, but I'm a little irked at the idea that Guest Service is being moved over to the check lanes and, as I was informed, will serve as express lanes as well as returns. I'm a little confused at how this is supposed to work. So to those that have had this remodel, perhaps you could shed some light for me. I'd really appreciate it.

My concerns are: 1.) Where do we store all our reshop/salvage/crcs/flex fulfillment/lost and found/photo supplies etc.? That takes up so much room we don't even have, and during the Christmas season, there are so many carts full of reshop that you can barely walk where we have it now. And speaking of photo, where do we put the photo kiosks? Do we even have photo anymore? 2.) We only have a handful of people trained to do Guest Service. Does this mean that they will train more TM's to do it? 3.) Having Guest Service over at the check lanes seems like it might make it easier to call a GSA/GSTL over for help, but it's noisy over there, and I would think it would be bad for business to have guests checking out to have a front row seat when you get an angry guest raising up a storm. 4.) On top of being express and returns, what's the point of doing express if you have to call 718 for a complicated return? 5.) What happens to the registry kiosks?

Those links don't seem to be working for me...
Basically it sucks as 90% of guests don't know how to read the damn signs to see guest service has moved, and also think just because the sign says "checkouts and returns" that they can load their $300 grocery purchase right on my little countertop no problem 15 minutes before close... even though I'm clearly taping boxes and running around like a madwoman.
Our photo stayed where it was, GS is responsible for releasing 1 hour prints.
Our cashiers get a crash course in making returns just in case, but I have seen more salesfloor people training/coming up for GS guest first
People get PISSED when there's a complicated return and complain that we need more cashiers, it's kinda funny to attempt to explain the idea that when coming to the RETURNS lane to checkout, there may be a hold up as we attempt to finish a RETURN. As far as 718, ever since the GSTLs got that daily override code, we've had to use that less frequently which is nice.
Our registry kiosks stayed by application computers, and a little area of NFL/MLB apparel went up where GS used to be

I don't mean to call you out specifically, but alot of this is wrong. My words will be in bold.

I think you are thinking about it too much.

The whole point of integrated guest service is to keep Guest Services at the lanes to help with cashiering. Integrated will be charge of returns and small transactions. If there is a complicated return or guest experience, then the GSTL/GSA will be right there to handle it. Returns/Guest Experience will be your top priority, then help with cashiering.

Small transactions? There is no express lane-esque limit on transaction size. You will get guests bringing in heaping carts full and expect you to ring them up in a space that is not suited for it at all. I have had transactions take nearly 15 minutes simply because we run out of space attempting to ring the guest up. As an aside, it is nearly impossible to keep up with defectives, sorting reshop (which still gets dumped on you) and not to mention the irritable guests because they don't like the IGS setup.

The store near my work has an integrated guest service. GS was moved to the lanes from the breezeway/front doors, and Starbucks took over the Service Desk. Photo stayed in front of the lanes leading toward the restrooms/TSMC. They went from 16 lanes and now down to 12 lanes with 3 integrated GS registers.

This varies from store to store, but the above example is common.

You will probably lose 3-5 lanes for the remodel depending on your current setup.
You will have a huge open bunker type area with high walls. It will be big enough for reshop carts/bins and supplies.

It will not be big enough and you will frequently be tripping over things and squeezing into small crevices as you drown in reshop and defectives. Meanwhile you will just begin to start a complicated repackage when a guest will walk up with a $250 grocery purchase as the regular checkout lane is empty and expect you to help them immediately.

Registry kiosks will be located next to the ad wall or next to the doors.
You will get probably 3 return/express lane stations.

Once again IGS is NOT and I repeat NOT an express lane. You must take guests no matter how many items they have and you will struggle to accommodate large orders because there simply isn't space for it.

But expect the cashier hours to drop. You can expect shifts to be the 1 GSTM and 1 cashier. Then it will go up to 2 cashiers during peak hours.

Now we get to the crux of the issue. The entire point of this is to cut hours, You will be fed a bunch of lines about guests, but the fact is that front-end hours will be slashed and expectations will be impossible to match. At my store Guest Service TM does not exist and everyone is scheduled as a cashier. The hours that went to the former guest service workcenter didn't fold into cashier hours they just disappeared. We often have times where the only cashier scheduled is not guest service trained and as such the GSA ends up covering IGS. There are days when front-end productivity is basically nil.

I don't mean to call you out specifically, but alot of this is wrong. My words will be in bold.

I think you are thinking about it too much.

The whole point of integrated guest service is to keep Guest Services at the lanes to help with cashiering. Integrated will be charge of returns and small transactions. If there is a complicated return or guest experience, then the GSTL/GSA will be right there to handle it. Returns/Guest Experience will be your top priority, then help with cashiering.

Small transactions? There is no express lane-esque limit on transaction size. You will get guests bringing in heaping carts full and expect you to ring them up in a space that is not suited for it at all. I have had transactions take nearly 15 minutes simply because we run out of space attempting to ring the guest up. As an aside, it is nearly impossible to keep up with defectives, sorting reshop (which still gets dumped on you) and not to mention the irritable guests because they don't like the IGS setup.

The store near my work has an integrated guest service. GS was moved to the lanes from the breezeway/front doors, and Starbucks took over the Service Desk. Photo stayed in front of the lanes leading toward the restrooms/TSMC. They went from 16 lanes and now down to 12 lanes with 3 integrated GS registers.

This varies from store to store, but the above example is common.

You will probably lose 3-5 lanes for the remodel depending on your current setup.
You will have a huge open bunker type area with high walls. It will be big enough for reshop carts/bins and supplies.

It will not be big enough and you will frequently be tripping over things and squeezing into small crevices as you drown in reshop and defectives. Meanwhile you will just begin to start a complicated repackage when a guest will walk up with a $250 grocery purchase as the regular checkout lane is empty and expect you to help them immediately.

Registry kiosks will be located next to the ad wall or next to the doors.
You will get probably 3 return/express lane stations.

Once again IGS is NOT and I repeat NOT an express lane. You must take guests no matter how many items they have and you will struggle to accommodate large orders because there simply isn't space for it.

But expect the cashier hours to drop. You can expect shifts to be the 1 GSTM and 1 cashier. Then it will go up to 2 cashiers during peak hours.

Now we get to the crux of the issue. The entire point of this is to cut hours, You will be fed a bunch of lines about guests, but the fact is that front-end hours will be slashed and expectations will be impossible to match. At my store Guest Service TM does not exist and everyone is scheduled as a cashier. The hours that went to the former guest service workcenter didn't fold into cashier hours they just disappeared. We often have times where the only cashier scheduled is not guest service trained and as such the GSA ends up covering IGS. There are days when front-end productivity is basically nil.

See, this is exactly what I was afraid of. I have a hard enough time as it is trying to get my work done and everything cleaned up at the end of the night on a regular night as it is when hardlines dumps all their repacks and damages on me even when I call out for all to them an hour before close so I can start processing them. How are we supposed to do all of this while essentially being on a register to ring out guests? Makes no sense. Spot has literally lost his mind....

Removed my post to since my experience with IGS is more observational as a guest. I was only going by my observations and info I get from my existing Target contacts.

I can see where you are getting at @The Dude Abides

The signage they have at the store near me is Returns/Check Out 10 items or less. They have 1-2 TMs on the regular lanes, then one cashier behind IGS being a lower volume metro store with a higher volume store just 5 minutes away. They keep it pretty tiddy but it looks like a cramped space.

This thread makes me happy that my SFT is currently repainting our regular old service desk....

Just shopped at a Target with IGS...not any of the stores I've worked at. It was bad - long lines, all funneled into one line at 4 expresses, with only one open. It's just not a good idea. Meanwhile with their free space now that guest services isn't where it was...they put fan central. Are those items going to sell that much better that it was worth the trade off in service? cmon now

Last edited:
Just shopped at a Target with IGS...not any of the stores I've worked at. It was bad - long lines, all funneled into one line at 4 expresses, with only one open. It's just not a good idea. Meanwhile with their free space now that guest services isn't where it was...they put fan central. Is those items going to sell that much better that it was worth the trade off in service? cmon now

IGS has been a complete and unmitigated failure.

Our guest service team usually calls people over to IGS to check out by saying "if you have 10 items or less we can help you over here". It seems to work fairly well, but you always get the occasional self-centered moron.

Our STL has told us in no uncertain term that limits on transaction size are not allowed at IGS. We are to ring up all guests regardless of basket size.

Our guest service team usually calls people over to IGS to check out by saying "if you have 10 items or less we can help you over here". It seems to work fairly well, but you always get the occasional self-centered moron.

To which you say: "Pick out the 10 items you want"

To which they say: "WUT"

To which you say: "Dumbass, you're in the express lane"

This is how GS is at my store. Usually it works OK, but during busy periods (i.e. holiday season) stuff piles up so quickly back there that it's not even funny. If there's more than one TM behind the wall area then it gets very crowded. We don't have a sign that says "Express lane," so people sometimes bring large carts up. Then, people who have to wait get mad because they just want to do a return, and the person in front of them is taking forever. We'll usually say something like "I can help the next guest with 10 items or less!" but we can't exactly turn away people with large carts. I do wish that our GS was bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back