Archived Guest Service: Drug Addict Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
Does anybody else get that person that I do that waits until 5 minutes before closing to return 20 items all on different receipts paid for by cash that are clearly messed up on some form of drug? Mine usually takes the first 5 or 10 minutes just to get her receipts in order. I feel sorry for her in a way because I know she must be battling addiction and i know it's a disease (family member is aa member). Feel even worse for her kids. I just wish she'd come in an hour earlier. No guess as to what she is on. It's like she's drunk. She has slurred speech, is shaky, takes 10 years to realize what would otherwise be obvious in pairing her receipts with her returns... I'm no drug expert, any ideas? When I first started as seasonal cashier last year she also had an overflowing cart worth of merch that ultimately went reshop because her check didn't clear. Also conveniently 10 mins before closing. Hard lines got the brunt of that one. lol. Now that I'm at guest service I see her much more than I did as cashier. Always just before closing, always 100 items on different receipts, and always the same clueless face when we tell her sorry, the store is closed, we can't do anything more for you tonight because she waits until the last minute. Anybody else deal with guests like these?

Most likely gotten them out of the trash and then stole the merchandise from the floor. Sadly happens all the time... Also get the people who steal merchandise and then do a no receipt return on their license.

I think her sister used to come to our store 10 min before closing to return clothing w/o tags, no receipt, exceeded NRR limit so she goes out to "shop" for an exchange from the same dept (since that's her only option) after closing.
Until she ran into our ETL-SL one night & was run out quite literally on a rail.
Seriously wished I'd printed tickets for THAT fight....

I think her sister used to come to our store 10 min before closing to return clothing w/o tags, no receipt, exceeded NRR limit so she goes out to "shop" for an exchange from the same dept (since that's her only option) after closing.
Until she ran into our ETL-SL one night & was run out quite literally on a rail.

is there any circumstances where guest services would issue a refund without a receipt, granted that the person wasn't setting off multiple alarm bells with their appearance and conduct?

Without a receipt, the only options are tied to their driver's license/state ID card: cash if it's under $5, giftcard if it's $5-$79 (or is it $70?) & they haven't had previous no-receipt-returns (NRR), exchange for an item of equal or greater value from the SAME dept (sometimes it can come from another dept but must be overridden by the GSTL/GSA). Some depts may not give an option to exchange.
If they don't have an ID, they're SOL.

LOL, that's great. It sounds like it must be her sister. I'd have loved to have seen that!

Without a receipt, the only options are tied to their driver's license/state ID card: cash if it's under $5, giftcard if it's $5-$79 (or is it $70?) & they haven't had previous no-receipt-returns (NRR), exchange for an item of equal or greater value from the SAME dept (sometimes it can come from another dept but must be overridden by the GSTL/GSA). Some depts may not give an option to exchange.
If they don't have an ID, they're SOL.

Without a receipt a guest can return an item if that person has the credit card, debit card, or gift card they used for the purchase.

Without a receipt a guest can return an item if that person has the credit card, debit card, or gift card they used for the purchase.

Very true. However, the guests that are being discussed in this thread are most likely not going to try going that route.

I love when people try to return open, clearly year-old dirty xbox's without a reciept and go "what man, I can't get no cash?!"

To be honest, after reading this thread I changed my closing routine. I now close Guest Service 15 minutes before the store closes. No last minute returns!

To be honest, after reading this thread I changed my closing routine. I now close Guest Service 15 minutes before the store closes. No last minute returns!

You could get in trouble for that at my store, GS is supposed to remain open until store close

Static is right on that one. I always have my damages ready by closing time sitting just outside the desk in the cart so the moment the closing announcement is made I notify my GSTL that I'm taking my damages to the backroom. Usually take the reds back a about a quarter after 9 (or 8 on Sundays), so the LOD can get rid of them early, but the salvage and food bank stuff, I take that to the backroom the moment closing is announced since you don't have to wait for the all clear to leave the service desk according to my GSTL. Unless of course I get a visit from the drug queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back