Archived Guest Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lux

Edited because I have learned Guests get what they want no matter how insane the request. Policy is for looks only.

Last edited:
Is the guest being happy more important than breaking policy? In some instances breaking policy to the point where it’s blatant theft? I always ask GSTL or LOD when I know something is against policy (but the person training me said it was fine), GSTL or LOD says it’s fine
This is definitely ASANTS. In my opinion, making the guest happy is very important, but blatant breaking of policy and theft are hard no’s at my store. We do make exceptions and some of the LODs that I have called have overridden me incredibly and let guests get away with a lot, but it shouldn’t be consistently. I’d talk with AP and let them know your concerns. Also, getting that approval from a GSTL or LOD puts it on them and not you, so you shouldn’t be able to get in trouble for that. There have been times when I have logged out, so the ETL did it under their numbers.

Everything you listed in paragraph two as examples would have been a hard no from me and I would have been mad if I was overridden in those situations by my GSTL/ ETL (exception maybe the cookie situation... i’d say no, but depending on the price and how big of a fuss the guest was making, i can sometimes understand an ETL saying just do it). It seems to me your store has no backbone. It could be a district pressure pushing you guys to make the guest happy, but in the long run it loses the store money.

I honestly don’t believe I would be able to work in a front end that ran like this. I’m sorry you’re stuck in one like this. Since it’s obviously making you uncomfortable (rightfully so imo), I’d try talking to your GSTLs or ETL-GE and try to understand exactly what they want. Depending on the leader and your relationship with them it can be hard, but I’d try to voice your opinions while also mentioning you just want to make sure you are being training properly and completely.

It's confusing in part because ASANTS.

When I was trained regarding price matches to other stores, the rule was that it had to be the exact same item (as verified by scanning the UPC with the PriceMatch app), AND it had to be in stock, AND it had to be fulfilled by the actual site and not a third party marketplace item (cough cough Amazon and Walmart) AND it had to be a price available to everyone rather than Amazon Prime or a sale price that could only be seen by adding the item to your cart.

We only accepted ORIGINAL paper ads for local grocery stores on pre-packaged Market items and had to verify that the sale was currently in effect and that brand, size, etc. all matched. That "price available to everyone" bit meant that a preferred customer offer (i.e. Cartwheel type coupons for another store) were never eligible for match. We also never matched percent-off, buy-X-get-Y-free, or produce by weight or eaches. The only exception to the produce was pre-packed produce, like a 3 lb bag of Halos or the bagged salads.

Print-outs and screen shots were never accepted because of the potential for photo manipulation. And in fact I have had guests attempt to scam me personally with 'shopped images for Apple products.

I didn't have too many people push back when I refused to honor an attempt at scamming us on a price match. The few times I can recall having to get TLs involved, I was upheld by my leaders.

Also, that shit about returning to re-buy at a lower price?? Hell to the no. ESPECIALLY seasonal. There is no price adjustment to clearance per written policy on our website. Plus, if an item has gone to salvage, we need the product to send back.

*If* the guest brings the items in and the original purchase was within the 90 day return window, I'm willing to process the return as I would any other return. But if I get the feeling that they're returning to repurchase, I tell the guest that the items have to be reprocessed through our inventory management system and that they would have to find new product on the floor. They don't need to know that the mere fact of processing their return *is* the inventory management system. And then I'm making damned sure I hang onto those items at GS for a good long time to make sure they don't get reshopped quickly enough for the guest to rebuy the same item.

Last edited:
Also, that shit about returning to re-buy at a lower price?? Hell to the no. ESPECIALLY seasonal. There is no price adjustment to clearance per written policy on our website. Plus, if an item has gone to salvage, we need the product to send back.

*If* the guest brings the items in and the original purchase was within the 90 day return window, I'm willing to process the return as I would any other return. But if I get the feeling that they're returning to repurchase, I tell the guest that the items have to be reprocessed through our inventory management system and that they would have to find new product on the floor. They don't need to know that the mere fact of processing their return *is* the inventory management system. And then I'm making damned sure I hang onto those items at GS for a good long time to make sure they don't get reshopped quickly enough for the guest to rebuy the same item.
^This! 👍😂😂😂

• Engage your ETL or GSTL for those Make The Guests Happy moments.
  • But follow guidelines for price matching in order for guests to receive the price.
  • For guests saying they are unsatisfied about a food product, and product is gone. Generally, I wouldn't refund without half the product. If it was a product that would have spoiled or would be clearly leaking, I would allow the refund. Its more of a per case basis by what the product is-type thing.
  • Follow price adjustment policy. If a guest is attempting to return and buy back the item at the clearance price, the product must be taken into store custody and returned to the floor before it can be re-purchased.
    • Seasonal items same policy.
    • If seasonal items have been cleared out or removed from the floor, Target cannot sale it.
If there is a Make a Guest Happy Moment is in clear conflict with store policy, you can ask your GSTL/ETL to make the decision and conduct the transaction.

Last edited:
A big part of a lot of what you’re asking is that it’s important to cover your own ass pretty much. Always ask the GSTL about things that you have a bad feeling about or are unsure of, it is our job to say no to thieving/scamming/disrespectful guests, so running something by your GSTL even if you think the answer will still be yes is always a good thing, that way if you are ever questioned you can say “I approved it with so-and-so.” Most of all just use your best judgement! Re-read our price matching and return policies if there are things you are struggling with.

Return policy - http://help.target.com/help/subcategoryarticle?childcat=Return+policy&parentcat=Returns+%26+Exchanges&searchQuery=search+help

Price Match Guarantee - http://help.target.com/help/subcategoryarticle?childcat=Price+Match+Guarantee&parentcat=Availability+%26+Pricing

You have the power to reject returns that you do not feel comfortable with, but it is important to always ATTEMPT a return for a guest.

A big part of a lot of what you’re asking is that it’s important to cover your own ass pretty much. Always ask the GSTL about things that you have a bad feeling about or are unsure of, it is our job to say no to thieving/scamming/disrespectful guests, so running something by your GSTL even if you think the answer will still be yes is always a good thing, that way if you are ever questioned you can say “I approved it with so-and-so.”
I'm quoting this just for emphasis. It's so important

Also seconding reading the policies. I did and I'm glad... now the GSAs will come to me with policy questions, and it's good to know for interacting with guests what you can and can't deny (there's a way to deny pretty much anything if you try hard enough)

I have been cross training in GS. I have read an embarrassing amount of old threads and am still unsure of the answer. Is the guest being happy more important than breaking policy? In some instances breaking policy to the point where it’s blatant theft? I always ask GSTL or LOD when I know something is against policy (but the person training me said it was fine), GSTL or LOD says it’s fine.

One instance yesterday, was an old print out of a competitors price, for a one day sale which was dated for close to Christmas and it was listed as sold out, the item she wanted price matched was the same brand but a completely different item. Or 70-90% off dozens of items, no sign or t.com listing indicating sale but the guest “thought” they were on sale. “I ate this whole box of cookies- but they tasted disgusting, can I still get a refund?” If it was just me I would have said no, because well common sense and policy but the girl training me said, “Of course you can return *anything* you are unhappy with or change your mind about.” I was charged $55 for this $55 live pet puppy but it was priced at $7.99 (shows me a picture of a completely different product tag with the one puppy in question no flex) can you refund me the difference? Or returning full price Christmas stuff bought around halloween and wanting to rebuy it at 90% off and toys that are now being purged and are on clearance- none of which she happens to have with her.

I would have no explanation if AP did an investigation and I doubt the person training me, GSTL or LOD would back me up that they approved it/trained me to break policy, if questions were asked. I do not feel comfortable having any of this under my login code. I’m seasonal and so far have been asked to stay but it’s not official so I do not argue and don’t want to risk a customer complaint. Is guest happiness really more important than company policy? Do I really just do whatever nonsense a guest asks me to do, as long as the computer lets me? Maybe I’m just not cut out for GS 🤷🏼‍♀️.
Ask someone else besides the person that trained you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back