Archived Guest Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new and need some advice. At prior jobs, I had been trained that taking care of guests is:

1. Using your knowledge to find them what they need,
2. Be attentive and show respect,
3. Don't ignore them.

However, I'm finding it hard to do this at Target.

Examples:

- My first Cashier trainer said she never mentions the RedCard to any guest over 60 because "they are so frail they can barely get their credit card out. So, I don't make them go through the RedCard application process and just press the F8 button to decline for them." This surprised me, because in our market we have 80- to 91-year old men and women who are very active physically and mentally. To me, denying them the RedCard is denying them service. Many of our customers like the RedCard idea when they hear about it.

- About 95% of my team members turn their backs on any guest who is not white when the guest is trying to find a product. Isn't Target supposed to be "inclusive" of it's guests?

- Most of my team members don't even try to find an item when a guest says they specifically came to the store to buy it. I keep seeing guests try to go up to my team members who turn their backs or walk away. I noticed that it only takes a few seconds to search for an item, and the guest is always very pleased that I went to the trouble to find it. I know our store is very busy. But, even in the 5 min./day I've searched an item for guests with the PDA, I've tracked an extra sales of >$200/day more than the guest would have left the store with, because I go to the effort.

Even my LOD won't go to the trouble.

However, this means I don't complete my pulls as quickly as my team members who ignore the guests asking questions. But I do try to efficiently help the guests, and go right back to pulls without wasting time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

If we are "told" to take care of the guests, but are being mentored by team members who do not -- who just want to do the pulls -- how do I know if I should continue taking care of the guests? Is it an unspoken rule that pulls are more important?:huh:

Sorry for the long message -- I thought examples might help.

One part of your post bothers me. First, you say your team turns their back on anyone who approaches them who isn't white. Then you later say your team turns their back on anyone who approaches them. So unless I'm missing something, they are equal opportunity ignorers.

I find it laughable that "anyone over 60" is frail. They must be about 18 years old. Mention it to everyone who comes through your line. You will pick up on those others are skipping.

Anyway, I always try to give guest service first, but do admit to sometimes taking a less traveled aisle when I know heat is coming soon for not having a pull or cart of strays done. But giving that guest service means I have taken flack for not getting strays or pulls done quickly enough. You have to decide what is more important: the guests or not being kvetched at by the LOD. There's a fine line, unfortunately.

Hah. You're right -- I guess they are "equal opportunity" ignorers! Thanks for the advice.

Guests are your paycheck. Pulls are not.

:excited:Thanks for the advice; it was hard to tell "in store" from management.

It's really nice to have the guest see me on their way to the checkout, and smile and thank me because I helped them find something they came for. It happens most every time, and keeps me thinking that I'm on the right track.
I'm speeding up a lot in putting away. So hopefully soon I'll be a efficient machine.:gamer1:

If it is of any condolence, I spent most of my HL shift Sunday vibing the hell out of guests and it took me roughly 2 hours to push the CAF I had.

If it is of any condolence, I spent most of my HL shift Sunday vibing the hell out of guests and it took me roughly 2 hours to push the CAF I had.

I don't know if this is normal. We've been having $3.3 to $5 Mil days, and usually 2 - 5 sales floor for grocery/housewares for most of a shift with 5 loaded carts per team member to pull, + 2 hrs. zoning and about 1 hr. back stock.

Sounds like, after reading the responses that I should continue to take care of the guests, pull my carts as quickly as I can (without running over guests) and that's about the best I can do.

Last edited:
This was me today..remarkable how many people waited till the last minute to do their shopping!

On the elderly guests being frail, I usually do offer it, unless they appear to be signifigantly impaired.

Most old people still move around decently, but theres been a few I've helped who could barely move/think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back