Archived Guest Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else have just complete crazies come to guest service? I had a pregnant woman yell at me the other day because we didn't have any baby packets.

I had a very angry older man returning some used, dirty socks, and threatening to give them to the "Target VP who plays at his golf course" if we didn't take them back.

Getting crazies just comes with the territory over at the service desk. It's like a magnet.

My personal favorite return was a gal that had an expired receipt with half the barcode ripped off the top, the bottom had the receipt and vcd numbers ripped off. She was trying to return a 120 dollar turn table. "Um mam, I'm sorry, but you don't have a valid receipt, yours is missing all the information we need to process this return and above all, it's expired. We could try a no receipt return, but you're only going to get the lowest selling price if the system allows us." "WELL THAT'S NOT RIGHT! I PAID 120 DOLLARS FOR IT, IT SAYS I DID RIGHT THERE, THAT'S A VALID RECIEPT!!" "I'm sorry mam, but no, it's not. It's expired, and you tore away all the information we need to even attempt to process the return....." "I WANT TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER!!" "Sure, thing mam..." Called the GSTL over, told her the same thing, she called an LOD over, same thing, she stormed out of our doors yelling she would never again shop at Target. At the end of the day she only made herself look like a complete ass. It's not our fault she didn't open the box to make sure it worked until 8 months after she bought the damn thing. Favorite part about it was the line of guests waiting behind her smiling and laughing with us. The very next guest I called up laughed and said: "My return will be simpler, here's my valid receipt, here's my item." I looked at him and just started laughing.

The craziest thing we had happen was when we had a bomb threat at our store delivered by a wacko claiming that our store was somehow in violation of some ordinance. I couldn't understand a thing he was talking about. Our store closed and was evacuated and the bomb squad searched our store that night. I later heard from one of our LOD's that he barricaded himself in his house and after a stand off was apprehended by the police. That was probably the craziest guest I ever dealt with.

Wait till holiday season. Black Friday to New Years is just CRAZIES.

I had to do returns for Wynonna Judd. "I just didn't like it." And its a cart full of sheets, towels, or decorative items.

Try doing returns for habitual or seasonal returners.

Seasonal returners are weird and are really good with their craft. They know Target's return policy and willingness to accept any return within reason. They are the ones that bring items back just before the 90 day period, and have it neatly re-packaged, folded, or claim it broke.

Last edited:
I went to school with a guy that had a swift attach gun. He would save the tags from all the clothes he bought. When the 90 days (or whatever was the return period for a specific store) was getting close he would reattach the tags and return the clothes. Basically stealing if you ask me.

I'm not sure when he got the swift attach, but before that he would just keep the tags on all his clothes and only wear them once or twice.

My sister was throwing a party & a gal in her late 20s was bragging about the dress she was wearing, how she'd be taking it back to Target the next day. Seems she habitually 'borrowed' clothes for parties, interviews, funerals, etc.
She was surprised as hell when she saw me at the service desk the next day.

Not to me.
She hemmed & hawed before leaving.
I heard that she came back later after I was gone.

Eh. Eventually they all blur together and you get so jaded that it doesn't even bother you because every guest sounds the same lol

Welcome to life in the pharmacy....we get people like this EVERY DAY!!! My personal favorite was the person who purchased medication at a different Spot pharmacy IN A DIFFERENT STATE and wanted to bring it back to ours! Not just no, but HELL NO!!!!

This is why I do not want to be trained to do guest service! I am literally terrified of some of these people. I just don't think I can deal with them.

This is why I do not want to be trained to do guest service! I am literally terrified of some of these people. I just don't think I can deal with them.

Go for it! It's still one of my favorite work centers. I'll break it down a little and maybe that'll help:

• 70% of the people you'll help just have simple returns or payments! Pretty easy, no hassle.
  • 10% will be no-receipt returns, weird sketchy iPad or TV returns, weird stuff like that. (Call a GSA/TL if you're unsure)
  • 10% will be random little things like flexible fulfillment pickups, they want a copy of the ad, want help on the floor, "where can I find this?" and whatnot.
  • 5% will be people coming over from the check lanes saying something like "they accidentally charged me for two of these" or "I forgot to use my coupons" etc etc. Again, easy fixes.
  • then the last 5% are the crazies who demand something stupid and unrealistic from you. It's a lot easier to deal with than you'd think, saying no to a pissy guest can be incredibly satisfying lol. The best thing about being a service desk team member is that if you are stumped or don't know how to help a guest, you can just call over the GSTL and they'll take over for you.
You hear all the horror stories because that's what everyone likes to share, but to be honest most of the guests are just little routine things that are pretty simple! Plus you're empowered to do a lot of things to help guests, and it can feel great to go above-and-beyond for a friendly one who deserves help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back