Guest today told me he was a "secret shopper". Is this legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have only 5 more working days in target until I quit for good. Well tonight I got called multiple times for backup. So, I was giving a man change for his purchased items and I ran out of cash in the drawer. I called the GSTL and she was getting more money for me. This man in line told me that I should apologize for the delay. I just said I am waiting on the cash then I can continue with my line. He then told me he was a secret shopper. I couldnt care less if he was, so I said nothing and didnt apologize. He left my line. The guest who was waiting on his change said he could have left the line if he was upset when I mentioned to him that it did not appear this guest was a real shopper.

What do you think? I doubt the guest was a secret shopper. Just a middle aged obese balding man who tried to feel powerful with his little bottle of vitamins he was going to purchase. Even if he was an actual secret shopper, he can slander me all he wants, I am quitting next Saturday and moving out of the country, literally lol. What do you guys think? Was a pretty funny encounter.

I haven't seen a legit secret shopper in ages. Back when I started, they used to send secret shoppers in from time to time to make sure that cashiers were promoting the Redcard. If you checked one out, and asked them about the Redcard, they would identify themselves as a secret shopper and the cashier would win a giftcard. If not, the secret shopper would identify themselves, and the cashier would be told that they missed out on winning because they didn't promote the Redcard during the transaction. I actually got a $25 giftcard that way.

@workinghard is right, what's so bad about saying "I'm sorry for the delay."?

It was out of my control, that why I didnt. He was free to wait, or go to another lane ( all were busy). No one else complained. Not the man waiting for his change, or the TL waiting to buy his lunch from me. Plus I am quitting in approx 1 week from today so I dont care much

I hate being on the register, because I'm not on it a lot. But just telling someone you're sorry for a delay, whether your fault or not, dang - why not just do that ?

I didn't feel the need to, out of my control. I am quitting in approx a week, my ETL told me I needed to now zone 40 aisles in 4 hours, and it all feels like a big joke to me now.

It was out of my control, that why I didnt. He was free to wait, or go to another lane ( all were busy). No one else complained. Not the man waiting for his change, or the TL waiting to buy his lunch from me. Plus I am quitting in approx 1 week from today so I dont care much
You don't care is the reason. Not that it wasn't in your control, it's because you can't be bothered with social graces. It's no different than when you say "I'm sorry you had a terrible time" when friends go to a restaurant you recommended and it wasn't a good trip, or "I'm sorry I'm late" when the issue was your ride's car broke down, or other "I'm sorry" that you say whenever things go bad.

It wouldn't have killed you to engage in basic social etiquette.

He doesn't have to be a bitch and complain and proclaim himself a secret shopper. Move to another lane or just patiently wait, that's it.

You don't care is the reason. Not that it wasn't in your control, it's because you can't be bothered with social graces. It's no different than when you say "I'm sorry you had a terrible time" when friends go to a restaurant you recommended and it wasn't a good trip, or "I'm sorry I'm late" when the issue was your ride's car broke down, or other "I'm sorry" that you say whenever things go bad.

It wouldn't have killed you to engage in basic social etiquette.

Hit the nail on the head there. I have 5 more working days left. Why should I care?

Probably a stuck up TL/ETL from another store 😂

When I was still with target and went to other stores to shop (I was a GSTL) I felt like a secret shopper lol.

Hit the nail on the head there. I have 5 more working days left. Why should I care?
Basic courtesy. Not because you're working, but because people should treat each other kindly. Treating others nicely just because they're people. Do unto others after all, I'm pretty sure that you like people being nice to you.

Actually, he could have been a secret shopper, but it wasn't for Target. There are well over 100,000 secret shoppers in the US. A good majority of them are jerks. Source: 20+ years of working in the industry.

Not really secret shopper, but we had our DTL go undercover shopping at our store and said she had a horrible experience. No one asked if she needed help and wanted to cry. Like STFU b****.
This happened at my store a while back just before we got head-on in modernization. Maaaaaan, the leads went crazy on the team for weeks afterwards.

On the topic of secret shoppers...
I heard Target doesn't do that anymore- albeit this was a couple years ago. Any chance that Target is changing that?

This happened at my store a while back just before we got head-on in modernization. Maaaaaan, the leads went crazy on the team for weeks afterwards.

On the topic of secret shoppers...
I heard Target doesn't do that anymore- albeit this was a couple years ago. Any chance that Target is changing that?
TD Bank uses secret shoppers for the Red Card instore and online. I have not seen a true Target mystery shop in over 10 years. The cell phone companies have shops in Target too.

They used to send shoppers into the stores. I seem to recall that the TM's were supposed to say, "Are you finding everything OK or Can I help you find something?" I did my last one at Target around 2006 or 2007 I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back